The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

Thanks for trying to get us back on track Larry, but it's thoroughly entertaining seeing how many mackerel Sergeant Wilson has on his line right now, especially the_bully-wee who's taken the line and sinker too. Just needs The Clyde Man to fall for it and he'll have the full set, and all viewable from the comfort of a QP thread. Bloody marvellous!

I know you really love me sweet cheeks. [emoji1596]

Looks like Lesser Hampden will be my next Scottish League ground to visit having done all the current 42.

Not read the full thread (sorry but its late and I have work tomorrow and only just found out the news an hour or so ago). What are the plans for lesser Hampden? Can you get rid of the running track and create a decent football ground? It definately has the potential to be very good for a lower league side but keeping the track would kill it. You need spectators on all four sides in my opinion to make a proper ground. Apologies to any Dumbarton, East Fife or Falkirk fans.

Gateshead are my home town club and much as I love them, the home game experience is hideous. Everyone in one stand and watching it from the far side of the running track. No wonder they have never grown their support beyond 1,000 even when they are doing well. The place is an atmosphere vacuum.

Edited by Roker Rover

9 hours ago, Ross. said:

I've never really considered that it would be a big plus when it came to signing players. The changing rooms maybe, but playing there in front of 400-800 would be horrible, certainly watching a game in a small crowd just gave me an odd feeling about the whole thing.

There should definitely be enough space at Lesser Hampden to put together something that is ideal for the lower leagues. With the running track and the space at the Somerville Drive end where the 5s pitch and old running track sit taken into consideration, there should be plenty of scope to have something that is entirely positive for QP created.

I really enjoyed it. It was actually my first visit to Hampden (been back since for the Hibs v Ross County League Cup Final and have still got a home Scottish International on my wish list).

Yes it was odd sitting in the padded seats in a stadium that holds 50 odd thousand in a crowd of 450 but at the same time I am really glad I did it as that is a big part of Queens Park's history and lets be honest few clubs have a history as long and as interesting as they do.

I echo the few posts I have now read above this one and hope you build a proper football ground not a one stand token gesture with the running track still in place. Get rid of the running track and put covered terracing on three sides and a covered seated stand on the main stand side and you then have a proper football ground that Queens fans can enjoy and create a decent atmosphere in. That would be a ground I would very much look forward to visiting to re-complete my full set of the SPFL grounds. 

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Turns out Robert Greive is reporting its Gus and that QP have given us permission to open talks with him. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3195404/gus-macpherson-st-mirren-queens-park-technical-director/

Just says we’ve requested permission.

I hope we go for Nicholl - going for Gus just smacks of an old pals act scenario. 

37 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It's almost like you knew.

It’s not what I think should happen if this does turn out to be the reality. Expect Roberts would get it on a temporary basis, but it should be opened up and the most qualified guy should get it. Ian Murray, basically.

Are Queens fans in the main supportive of developing Lesser Hampden or wishing to remain playing in the main stadium?

As an outsider I would be firmly supportive of the former but interested to know what those that actually matter are thinking?

18 minutes ago, an86 said:

It’s not what I think should happen if this does turn out to be the reality. Expect Roberts would get it on a temporary basis, but it should be opened up and the most qualified guy should get it. Ian Murray, basically.

I sense a shift in the whole club's direction. The stadium nonsense has in part been a smoke screen. As well as a flit and a refurbishment job the club has even bigger decisions to make than how many floodlights we need. Gus has never hidden his desire to be at a full-time club and if he's brought Roberts (his old team-mate at Killie) in as part of a succession plan then full credit to him. Of course, there might be a risk Roberts would go with him but more likely he sees QP as a manageable size for him at this stage of his career . Ian Murray lives in Norway I believe. 

Gateshead are my home town club and much as I love them, the home game experience is hideous. Everyone in one stand and watching it from the far side of the running track. No wonder they have never grown their support beyond 1,000 even when they are doing well. The place is an atmosphere vacuum.

I was at the last game of the season against Bromley a couple of seasons ago and the handful of away fans were actually put into the stand opposite. Not sure if that’s normal or not but it did seem like a great waste of money on stewarding etc?

Atmosphere was lacking in a Meadowbank Stadium sort of way.

The club bar were selling off the last of their stock at 75p a bottle so it was a great day out!

Ive made it pretty clear i hate watching games at hampden when we play QP and where away fans are situated but understand it makes sense just to have that section open for stewarding and staff on etc...

On other Hand Lesser Hampden could be a hidden gem if terracing across from old dressing room was flattened and terraced with even a roof and raised terrace more like Forfar or Arbroath than say Alloa/Annan in their non covered ends

35 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I sense a shift in the whole club's direction. The stadium nonsense has in part been a smoke screen. As well as a flit and a refurbishment job the club has even bigger decisions to make than how many floodlights we need. Gus has never hidden his desire to be at a full-time club and if he's brought Roberts (his old team-mate at Killie) in as part of a succession plan then full credit to him. Of course, there might be a risk Roberts would go with him but more likely he sees QP as a manageable size for him at this stage of his career . Ian Murray lives in Norway I believe. 

Didn’t realise that about Murray. He was strongly linked with the Rovers job in the summer. I don’t think a handover would be the best way forward. Roberts may well turn out to be a decent manager, but his first outing at lower league level wasn’t a success. I think we have to open it up. If Roberts gets a couple of results and impresses the committee in the application process, then fair enough. Whoever comes in will get my support.

Very relieved that our survival seems assured after yesterdays decision. As has been said Lesser can be made into a very decent wee stadium. On the Gus front, think this type of roll would suit him as he likes to be in charge! I guess the main worry for the saints supporters is that he stays away from the touchline-going by their comments on their website. (by the way, we are not a struggling team) Mind you he hasn't been appointed yet!

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

I am not sure if this has been discussed or not , but could Cathkin Park not be a better option than lesser Hampden?

Or would the council ask for too much for the land?

Oh no, Third Lanark have well advanced plans to restore it to it's former glory and make a triumphant return to league football.

Alternatively, have you seen it? It would be cheaper to redevelop big Hampden... and Murrayfield.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

St mirren will need someone with a knowledge of the game and to fair McPherson has unearthed a few good players I doubt it's an old pals act If he gets the job he will more than likely make a success of it , also gives them a safe pair of hands if the Kearney project fails
I think queens will find it hard to replace him and keep up the same results