The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

1 minute ago, Frank Grimes said:

Are Queens Park fans happy with this?

To me it seems a shame, bit of an end of an era 

Why couldn’t QP continue to play their games at Hampden despite it being owned by the SFA?

I'd assume the rental costs would be significant. A redeveloped Lesser Hampden, if done correctly, should be a very good venue for QP.

4 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Are Queens Park fans happy with this?

To me it seems a shame, bit of an end of an era 

Why couldn’t QP continue to play their games at Hampden despite it being owned by the SFA?

It appears that was not on offer from the SFA.

I'm in two minds about it - Hampden is synonymous with QP but even its biggest fans would have to admit that with a few hundred fans in, it is somewhat lacking in atmosphere. 

How much we suffer from losing the attraction of playing at Hampden as a lure to attract new players remains to be seen.

On the plus side Lesser Hampden could be a cracking wee stadium  - as long as its not a one stand & 3 walls Bayview style design.  

6 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

It appears that was not on offer from the SFA.

I'm in two minds about it - Hampden is synonymous with QP but even its biggest fans would have to admit that with a few hundred fans in, it is somewhat lacking in atmosphere. 

How much we suffer from losing the attraction of playing at Hampden as a lure to attract new players remains to be seen.

On the plus side Lesser Hampden could be a cracking wee stadium  - as long as its not a one stand & 3 walls Bayview style design.  

I've never really considered that it would be a big plus when it came to signing players. The changing rooms maybe, but playing there in front of 400-800 would be horrible, certainly watching a game in a small crowd just gave me an odd feeling about the whole thing.

There should definitely be enough space at Lesser Hampden to put together something that is ideal for the lower leagues. With the running track and the space at the Somerville Drive end where the 5s pitch and old running track sit taken into consideration, there should be plenty of scope to have something that is entirely positive for QP created.

Edited by Ross.

Pleased that Scotland are staying at Hampden. It’s the home of Scottish football and the right decision.

Am sure Lesser can become a right good stadium but concerned about the wider implications for QP.

This puts us on a path to semi-pro... . and that’s something we can’t take lightly. And hasn’t been discussed with members yet.

Best of a bad situation. But the implication is that we’ve won a watch when chances are we’ve just been forced to betray our core principle.

Pleased that Scotland are staying at Hampden. It’s the home of Scottish football and the right decision.

Am sure Lesser can become a right good stadium but concerned about the wider implications for QP.

This puts us on a path to semi-pro... . and that’s something we can’t take lightly. And hasn’t been discussed with members yet.

Best of a bad situation. But the implication is that we’ve won a watch when chances are we’ve just been forced to betray our core principle.
Core principle the facade of amateur?
I'm sure Scottish amateur football association would be delighted if you joined them.( thought not ) I wish my team had got 5 million for leaving shawfiield most likely you can develop lesser hampden unlike a lot of teams who had to completely up root
Personally I think it's probably going to good for queens park

7 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Could this mean Queens Park may be looking to go part time? 

Certainly possible. History and heritage are, of course, important factors but I’m very much undecided on the matter. If someone could make the case that it’d make the club stronger on and off the park, it’s certainly something that would have to be looked at. Playing at Hampden is an attraction for guys and we won’t have that card to play anymore.

I feel for QP fans in that it’s been a huge uncertainty over the stadium and their future. That’s not a nice situation for anyone to be in.

However, the end decision is absolutely the right 1. Scotland needs a national stadium and Hampden is it. Glasgow is where it should be and no amateur/ part time or whatever side should be playing on it every 2nd week in front of 500 fans. 

Really hope lesser hampden is done up to make it an attractive venue for the lower leagues. I quite like Stirling Albions ground, a tidy example. I may even visit to see Cowden play, something I did once many years ago and wouldn’t be in a hurry to repeat again at the big Hampden. 

4 minutes ago, big al said:

I may even visit to see Cowden play, something I did once many years ago and wouldn’t be in a hurry to repeat again at the big Hampden. 

If that was May1981 big Al I'd think you would have other reasons for not wanting to repeat that experience. Cowden contentedly "saying" (by staying in their own half for the last 10 minutes) to QP,  go on - have the title, we'll take the point and then secure promotion the following week................but it didn't quite work out that way :). If you are old enough to recall those two back to back games, it must still be giving you nightmares?

38 minutes ago, The Spider said:

If that was May1981 big Al I'd think you would have other reasons for not wanting to repeat that experience. Cowden contentedly "saying" (by staying in their own half for the last 10 minutes) to QP,  go on - have the title, we'll take the point and then secure promotion the following week................but it didn't quite work out that way :). If you are old enough to recall those two back to back games, it must still be giving you nightmares?

Was only 6 then bud, didn’t even realise Cowdenbeath had a team at that age!

2 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

To be fair, we've only had 18 years to come up with a plan.

4 hours ago, an86 said:

What’s the story with the ownership of Lesser? We’ll obviously be playing there, but will that and the social club remain ours or is the SFA taking ownership of the whole piece of land?

Just read a journalist saying the SFA said we’ll continue to own Lesser Hampden. That’s crucial for us.

1 hour ago, The Spider said:

I was at the game at Central Park probably the 1st real boot in the balls in my Cowden watching career.  I suppose in the years ahead of that things have swung the other way at times so its all balanced out.

5 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Might as well fold the club if it's being relegated to playing in its own training facility. Pretty embarrassing stuff.

As opposed to being third choice behind Cumbernauld Colts and a rugby school at a council tip in the middle of fucking nowhere.