The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

We’ve just knocked a Championship team out of a cup, after drawing with a Premier League side and a couple of other good showings against teams in higher leagues. Our first League game also ended with a good result at what is probably the hardest ground to get a result at in the league. Incredible that the instinct would be to have a dig at the manager. He literally cannot win among a section of the support, regardless of results.

I said during the close season that this season was a win-win for some of these folk. We either win and they’re happy or they either get to vent at the manager if things don’t go well. It was naive of me not to expect this to start even when things were going ok.

Edited by an86

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

As far as passing judgement on Gus' man management skills are concerned, I reckon only the players can call that one. We don't know what goes on in the dressing room or at Lesser in training. It's not just about the 90 minutes and, I would add, we can't actually hear what he's saying. I'd be surprised if his rants weren't constructive even though they're delivered in an "enthusiastic" manner.

Balanced point HD. If you sit in the centre stand though, you can hear every word. More importantly, so can the players. I was gobsmacked that the team manager asked for restraint on social media from fans in case it upset players but he sees no irony in the way he behaves on the touchline. 

I've shared my opinion on this subject many times and fundamentally won't change it. Things could be done better.  But equally, I held a belief Jambo walked away before the final game in 16-17 because he seemed unhappy, in several games, when Gus was "coaching" him. But Jamie's interview last weekend suggested the very opposite. I also thought Scouse would go that season based on a comment one of his family made to me. And he came back.

The third dimension to this for spider1867 to think about for comfort is the senior players. We don't have many this year but I'm sure the likes of Gerry & Gibby can counsel the youngsters as to how to accept/ignore when the gaffer's going off on one. And above all else, the Club has retained his services and Gus has chosen to stay so there must be a good working relationship there.  

Finally, more importantly for me, I hope no QP fan feels they can't share their opinion on a social media site without fear of mockery or abuse, as subtle or brutal as that might be. Any suggestion that a fan isn't loyal or true because he happens to have a different view from some posters on here is appalingly blinkered and a touch arrogant.  We all want the best for our club. Live and let live.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

hope no QP fan feels they can't share their opinion on a social media site without fear of mockery or abuse, or even having another fan make up completely false stories about them, and then when challenged about them to cowardly ignore repeated requests to either substantiate or retract the statements in the deluded hope that they would simply be forgotten about

Fixed that for you, but left out calling you a "hypocritical weasel" for fear of offending your dainty sensibilities, but not to worry.........you'll not be getting a knock on your door from me in the early hours of the morning to put you right on things.

Otherwise it was a good post though so hey, live and let live eh?

2 hours ago, The Spider said:

Fixed that for you, but left out calling you a "hypocritical weasel" for fear of offending your dainty sensibilities, but not to worry.........you'll not be getting a knock on your door from me in the early hours of the morning to put you right on things.

Otherwise it was a good post though so hey, live and let live eh?

5b7418c206b3e_TheSpidersThreat.thumb.JPG.be84a7bcf27aa6977feba6ab162e0794.JPG

2 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I must be only one that likes macphersons antics on the touchline. I find it quite entertaining and shows he's got standards, which was shown last night as we held our shape brilliantly. 

There is no right or wrong way. Billy Stark was as calm and measured as they come, whereas Gus MacPherson is more animated and outwardly passionate about what he’s seeing in front of him. Both have been fantastic for Queen’s Park Football Club and that’s all that really matters to me on that front.

27 minutes ago, Uncle Scan said:

How's Sharpy coming along? He took a big jump from 21s to senior

He's not been given much game time yet, but got 45 minutes as a sub last night and looked more of a player than his previous brief "headless chicken" appearances indicated, so now starting to think that there may be a decent player in there somewhere! Rate him yourself?

8 hours ago, ThreeTownSpider said:

last season S4C showed the New Saints home matches , hopefully they will this season, a repeat of the score the last time , we played a team from Oswestry  where New Saints play would  be welcome  7-1 for the spiders,. 29thDec 1883 in the FA cup

I remember that game well - their goal would have been offside by today's rules

On 8/15/2018 at 17:40, The Spider said:

He's not been given much game time yet, but got 45 minutes as a sub last night and looked more of a player than his previous brief "headless chicken" appearances indicated, so now starting to think that there may be a decent player in there somewhere! Rate him yourself?

Was one of his coaches

Never been in the senior set up before but is a hard worker and good listener

Hope it works out for him