The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

4 hours ago, jinky said:

Pretty sure there’s goals in this squad and once the team settles down to playing teams of more equal standard we will see more chances being created.

So far I’ve liked the look of those forwards that have been used and they all seem to bring something different to the game.

We will just need to wait and see who is preferred up front and whoever it is will need good supply from both the middle of the park and the wide players.

Peters will come good, no doubt about it. He'll play off of Smart better than the other way around.  Smart can cope with being the point man. Or as our friends from Wattenscheid might call him, Sturmfuhrer,

We will win tomorrow.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

7 hours ago, qpfc said:

Don't see the fascination with Mortimer. Runs about and puts in a good shift defensively but hes rotten attacking wise 

I think it's the unfulfilled potential that either excites or frustrates depending on your point of view. If you look at his first team appearances in isolation then he's right up there with Gordon Wylie on the list of centre forwards who couldn't hit a barn door. What Mortimer has going for him though, apart from a great work ethic is that he was a proven and consistent goalscorer at Strollers level so we know he has it in him, but is struggling to do it one level up. The fascination? That he could score early on this season, boost his confidence and go on a scorting run, or just as easily not find the net again for the rest of the season.

I'd say this is a make or break season for him and be inclined to leave him in there for half a dozen league games and see what happens as he has other qualities that could help the team, but if he's not proved his worth by the end of September then his chance has come and gone.

Glasgow MPs team up to demand Hampden remains national stadium amid rival Murrayfield bid

The cross-party group of MPs have written to the SFA, warning them that a move to the capital would be “devastating”.

BY DAVID CLEGG

04:30, 6 AUG 2018UPDATED19:57, 5 AUG 2018

Glasgow’s seven MPs have teamed up to demand Hampden Park remains the home of Scottish football.

The six SNP and one Labour members have signed a letter to SFA chief Ian Maxwell, warning that moving the national stadium to Murrayfield would be “devastating”.

SFA bosses are weighing up a potential move away from Hampden when its lease expires in 2020, amid complaints about transport links and facilities at the historic venue.

Scottish Rugby believe Murrayfield should become the new home of Scottish football and have launched a charm offensive to win over the blazers.

But a deal to stay is also on the table after Queen’s Park, who formally own Hampden, agreed to sell the 52,000 capacity stadium to the SFA. A crunch meeting between the two sides is understood to be taking place today ahead of a final decision being made later this month. 

Glasgow South MP Stewart McDonald, whose constituency includes Hampden, organised the joint letter to ramp up pressure on the SFA.

The letter claims a move to Murrayfield would create several “unknowns”, including the cost, the impact on Glasgow and the implications of policing Old Firm matches in Edinburgh.

The MPs also pointed out the move could potentially have a damaging impact on Queen’s Park.

They said: “To lose Hampden as Scotland’s national stadium, and thus threaten the future of Queen’s Park – an enormous part of our heritage – would be devastating.” 

The cross-party group of MPs said they would stand together to fight for Hampden to remain the home of Scottish football.

They said: “We do not believe that moving to Murrayfield is a suitable option.

“A move to Murrayfield not only opens up a world of unknowns for Scottish football and threatens the vibrancy of communities surrounding Hampden, but also creates an uneven playing field for the distribution of the most popular sports in Scotland.

“Glasgow has been home to world-class sporting events over many decades, at which Hampden has been a major part and enjoyed by many tens of thousands of people.

“To end that historic title as being the home of Scottish football would be a major blow to Glasgow’s reputation as a world-class sporting city. 

“We ask the association to ensure Hampden Park remains as Scotland’s national stadium, with a deal that benefits all parties involved and has the determination and ambition to better our city’s sporting reputation even more.”

Edited by an86

can't say I'm surprised by this - more disappointed about how quiet Glasgow City Council have been recently given what's at stake, and this cross-party co-operation only highlights their lack of vocal support

then perhaps Davie is now one of these "hundreds" https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45148820 but as we are unique in the sense that we don't have any player budget per-se, surely Gus will be trying to cherry-pick a couple of seasoned campaigners if nobody else wants to take a wage punt on them

8 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Galt Seems to have a problem. the official reason he had not featured was a virus he had ? but has left by mutual consent , i have no idea why 

it is all very strange ..

I believe it's pre-existing as there was a similar issue with us at one stage.  I think he's a boy whose confidence can suffer if things aren't going well for him, so sad that things didn't work out for him at Alloa but if we leave him be for a bit to recover from the disappointment then there's no reason why he won't feel the urge to pull on the glorious black & white hooped/striped (delete as you prefer) jersey again.

49 minutes ago, The Spider said:

I believe it's pre-existing as there was a similar issue with us at one stage.  I think he's a boy whose confidence can suffer if things aren't going well for him, so sad that things didn't work out for him at Alloa but if we leave him be for a bit to recover from the disappointment then there's no reason why he won't feel the urge to pull on the glorious black & white hooped/striped (delete as you prefer) jersey again.

you could be right !

40 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Spoke to a club official at Alloa morton game today and he said the david galt had health problems and he wont be at ANY club for the foreseeable future 

i hope he gets better and we see him playing again such a shame..

I'd like to think he'll come back training with us before the end of the year and then take it from there - he's too good to be lost to the game, and those who know a bit more about Gus rather than solely judging him by his touchline antics will tell you there isn't a better manager out there to help Davie get back playing again

13 hours ago, The Spider said:

I'd like to think he'll come back training with us before the end of the year and then take it from there - he's too good to be lost to the game, and those who know a bit more about Gus rather than solely judging him by his touchline antics will tell you there isn't a better manager out there to help Davie get back playing again

As one who has criticised Gus for last season's behaviour I wholeheartedly agree that he is one of the best in understanding the issues facing players with such an illness. I suspect and hope that he will be talking to David in the hope that he may feel like playing again in the not too distant future. Good luck to both of them.

14 hours ago, whereismillar said:

Spoke to a club official at Alloa morton game today and he said the david galt had health problems and he wont be at ANY club for the foreseeable future 

i hope he gets better and we see him playing again such a shame..

That’s a real shame. Not only a class player, but seems a top man as well.

I just feel I have to write this. First of all well done  tonight for the win over Ayr in the cup. 

I've got a few things bothering me. 

Gus is praising all these young players on the club's media videos so why is he scaring the life out of them by screaming at them on every occasion. 

Ali miller tonight looked if he had seen a ghost every time Gus shouted his name.

We here about the young lads and how he is giving them a chance and all that we are the only club that will play that many youngsters. 

Ewan is just back from injury James( who was excellent tonight) is getting a couple of games due to injuries. Calvin seems to be getting a few run outs. Ali seems to be in one week and out the next. 

The whole team looks shit scared to make a decision themselves incase they getting the Gus treatment. 

I know he shouts at everyone in the team but I feel for these young men trying to start their journey and being petrified to do anything. 

Every other game I see the opposition manager let's the players play and guide them during the game I feel our manager wants to dictate to our team throughout the whole game and this petulant throwing a water bottle when someone does something wrong is pathetic.

I don't like the man he has no man management skills but our supporters will stomach him if he gets results. 

I just feel times have changed from the Eddie hunter days but Gus still manages the same way. 

People don't come to play for us to be screamed at. 

Sorry I had to get this off my chest. 

You make a fair argument but I remember Gardner getting stick on here for not showing enough passion because he didn't get animated enough.

As far as passing judgement on Gus' man management skills are concerned, I reckon only the players can call that one. We don't know what goes on in the dressing room or at Lesser in training. It's not just about the 90 minutes and, I would add, we can't actually hear what he's saying. I'd be surprised if his rants weren't constructive even though they're delivered in an "enthusiastic" manner.

Players tend to vote with their feet if they're not happy. We'll see how it goes.

As for the fans, well me in particular, I'll admit to being happy if the team are winning and / or playing decent football. I'm not too bothered whether it's a soft approach or a ranting one. I'm guilty as charged on that.

I'd echo your comments on the kids. Nothing would please me more than to have 11 first teamers who've come through the ranks. Hopefully the clutch we have at the moment can bed in and we get the benefit.

Keep the Faith.