The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

Tough game today, miles more challenging than Shite Mirren. Good to see the boys contended again, we weren't outplayed. Tiredness started to set in in the last 20 minutes but that's understandable. Smart had another excellent game for us up front, let's hope he can stick a few in the back of the net for us! Thought it was a fair scoreline but we gave a very decent account of ourselves!

If you'd have told me we'd have finished the group with 4 points I'd have taken it so a successful campaign imo. 

Quietly optimistic. Roll on the league.

Again, impressed with the performance and fitness levels, competing well with one of the most inform teams from last season. Mclauchlan and Gibson have been outstanding so far this season and even though Clyde fans slated him, Osadolor has been very impressive. Arguably the toughest game to kick the league season off, however there's absolutely no reason to suggest that we can't get a result. 

Edited by qpfc

14 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Again, impressed with the performance and fitness levels, competing well with one of most inform teams from last season. Mclauchlan and Gibson has been outstanding so far this season and even though Clyde fans slated him, Osadolor has been very impressive. Arguably the toughest game to kick the league season off, however there's absolutely no reason to suggest that we can't get a result. 

Regarding Smart, he’s more than capable of his moments but will also have some absolute stinkers where he looks as though he’s never kicked a ball before. Part of his charm is that sometimes it’s clear he has no idea where he’s going with the ball but neither do the defenders. He should do just fine for you.

Totally  agree Gerry, Gibby,Jordan, Ciaran and Jordan have been superb so far and it is could to have that settled unit at the back. Jambo has been solid in the middle of the park. Kurtis has to play centrally to get the best out of him. Young Mcgrory played very well in the Spartans game but has been played out wide since. Dean is a tidy player but for me goes missing for long spells.  Billy and Adam work really hard and Smart upfront is a real pest of a player. Big Josh is a difficult player to read and we will need to see with him. Brendan is raw and needs coaching. Still think Gus will bring a SPL youngster or two in especially up front. We need someone who is going to score us goals. 

Last year it was the defence that let us down so hopefully we can build on a strong foundation this year. 

28 minutes ago, I Zingari said:

Today marks the 40th anniversary of the death of two young footballers, David Ballantyne and Bernie Donnelly, who lost their lives in a road traffic accident in Newfoundland during Queen's Park's tour to Canada.

I can remember exactly where I was when I heard that news. Tragic.

2 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I can remember exactly where I was when I heard that news. Tragic.

Likewise. The thing that struck me most from that horrible time was how much Joe Gilroy had visibly aged from the time he got on the plane at Prestwick to how he looked at Bernie's funeral. I trained with QP Vics for a season and Bernie occasionally stopped in Battlefield Road to give me a lift home afterwards if he saw me walking in the rain, so his death was more personal for me than David Ballantyne's who had only just joined the club, and who if I recall correctly was Jim's brother. A word too for David Gillespie who was a smashing young 'keeper who broke both legs in the same car crash and never played again.

3 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

Regarding Smart, he’s more than capable of his moments but will also have some absolute stinkers where he looks as though he’s never kicked a ball before. Part of his charm is that sometimes it’s clear he has no idea where he’s going with the ball but neither do the defenders. He should do just fine for you.

I agree, I also think the big pitch at Hampden will suit him better as he will have more space to operate. He will have some great moments but unfortunately more poor ones, unless of course he was perhaps needing a long run of games which was never consistent or good  enough to have  at his time with Clyde.  Good luck to him though can never fault his workrate or willingness.

14 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

11 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I agree, I also think the big pitch at Hampden will suit him better as he will have more space to operate. He will have some great moments but unfortunately more poor ones, unless of course he was perhaps needing a long run of games which was never consistent or good  enough to have  at his time with Clyde.  Good luck to him though can never fault his workrate or willingness.

In his first game v Spartans his off the ball movement was poor and he looked a little bit tentative to me (perhaps understably nervous at playing for such a big club at such a prestigious venue :)), and taking cognisance of previous Clyde fans' comments I wasn't convinced he was going to be good enough for us. However in the last two games agaisnt St. Mirren and Killie he has really come onto a game as well as putting himself about physically (which surprised me given his disposition and stature), and he has quickly become something of a fans' favourite.

My only lingering concern (and I think he can score goals at League 2 level) is whether he can maintain his current level of effort and enthusiasm against lower opposition or not. If he's got his mind around the fact that he needs to work defenders hard in each game to earn the right to display his skills (and Freddy's comments about his workrate are encouraging), then he actually could be something of a revelation for us particularly if he managed to get off the mark early, but if he allows all the praise he's getting at the moment to go to his head then I could see him and Gus falling out quickly.

Fingers crossed he gets his first goal in our opening home League game v Berwick, and that gives him the reward he deserves for his efforts so far and motivates him to go on a  scoring run before Gus decides to source a replacement via the loan system (the danger with that is that if you have two players of similar ability then it appears to me that the loanee always seems to be given a fairer crack of the whip - perhaps for contractual reasons?)

Very decent again. Was clear that Killie were a step up from St Mirren and they controlled the game. We defended brilliantly and the work ethic from every player was 10/10. Big Gerry was absolutely outstanding at the back.

In his first game v Spartans his off the ball movement was poor and he looked a little bit tentative to me (perhaps understably nervous at playing for such a big club at such a prestigious venue [emoji4]), and taking cognisance of previous Clyde fans' comments I wasn't convinced he was going to be good enough for us. However in the last two games agaisnt St. Mirren and Killie he has really come onto a game as well as putting himself about physically (which surprised me given his disposition and stature), and he has quickly become something of a fans' favourite.
My only lingering concern (and I think he can score goals at League 2 level) is whether he can maintain his current level of effort and enthusiasm against lower opposition or not. If he's got his mind around the fact that he needs to work defenders hard in each game to earn the right to display his skills (and Freddy's comments about his workrate are encouraging), then he actually could be something of a revelation for us particularly if he managed to get off the mark early, but if he allows all the praise he's getting at the moment to go to his head then I could see him and Gus falling out quickly.
Fingers crossed he gets his first goal in our opening home League game v Berwick, and that gives him the reward he deserves for his efforts so far and motivates him to go on a  scoring run before Gus decides to source a replacement via the loan system (the danger with that is that if you have two players of similar ability then it appears to me that the loanee always seems to be given a fairer crack of the whip - perhaps for contractual reasons?)

The loanee often gets preference because if you don't play him you are not fulfilling your implied part of the bargain to give the loanee game time. If you don't your ability to secure loan players in future can be compromised

3 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

The loanee often gets preference because if you don't play him you are not fulfilling your implied part of the bargain to give the loanee game time. If you don't your ability to secure loan players in future can be compromised

Not sure we do give loan players preference. The likes of Zanatta and Keena played because they were better than what we had. Orsi, McIlduff and Gullan all struggled for game time, though.

I've been positive after seeing 3 out of the first four games of the season but despite the very good performances especially in midfield i'm of the opposite opinion of most fans here as i think we will struggle this season because we have nobody who can put the ball in the back of the net.

The only player who hasn't impressed me so far is Josh Peters and despite all his running Osodolar isn't going to score more than 2 goals the entire season because he isn't a No 9 and Billy Mortimer looks more comfortable in his new position as winger.

So who is going to get us the goals for this 'successful season' everyone is talking about?

Pretty sure there’s goals in this squad and once the team settles down to playing teams of more equal standard we will see more chances being created.

So far I’ve liked the look of those forwards that have been used and they all seem to bring something different to the game.

We will just need to wait and see who is preferred up front and whoever it is will need good supply from both the middle of the park and the wide players.

2 hours ago, Shugs said:

I've been positive after seeing 3 out of the first four games of the season but despite the very good performances especially in midfield i'm of the opposite opinion of most fans here as i think we will struggle this season because we have nobody who can put the ball in the back of the net.

The only player who hasn't impressed me so far is Josh Peters and despite all his running Osodolar isn't going to score more than 2 goals the entire season because he isn't a No 9 and Billy Mortimer looks more comfortable in his new position as winger.

So who is going to get us the goals for this 'successful season' everyone is talking about?

What you say Shugs is quite accurate, but your points need to be taken in context against (Spartans excepted and we've played better in all the games since) the standard of opposition we've faced, and it could be argued that also applies to tomorrow's game. Leaving Adam Martin out of the discussion for now as he's had the least game time, we have three potential goalscorers without taking account of Gus's general success in the loan market for that position:

• Smart - at the moment he's Gus's no. 1 choice for the main striking role, and although he's not a proven goal-scorer he has an indefinable quality that suggests to me he could bag a good few this season
  • Josh - I completely agree that he's yet to prove himself, but in his defence I would observe that a) he had a proven goalscoring record with Forfar and b) he's being played in a supporting role at the moment and his demeanour suggests to me that he is frustrated at not being the main striker so he either has to get over that and re-invent himself or Gus has a bit of juggling to do to get the best out of him
  • Willie - something of an enigma this boy as like Danny Ferry he had a prolific goal-scoring record at Strollers level, but unlike Danny has yet to hit the mark and it's clear his confidence is low. I genuinely don't know the answer here. Were we to persevere a bit longer and he were to get that all important first goal, daft as it might sound I think more would quickly follow (the Glasgow buses principle), but I'm not convinced he's a winger though and think Gus stuck him there because he covers a lot of ground and was therefore able to provide a lot of protection defensively, which all credit to him he did.

The bottom line is that we can all have our opinions, but until we see how we perform in games against the likes of Berwick then I think (mine included!) they are simply unsubstantiated guesswork rather that credible evaluation.

1 hour ago, jinky said:

Pretty sure there’s goals in this squad and once the team settles down to playing teams of more equal standard we will see more chances being created.

So far I’ve liked the look of those forwards that have been used and they all seem to bring something different to the game.

We will just need to wait and see who is preferred up front and whoever it is will need good supply from both the middle of the park and the wide players.

Jinky - think you hit the nail on the head on all three counts mate.......nice one!

4 hours ago, Shugs said:

Don't see the fascination with Mortimer. Runs about and puts in a good shift defensively but hes rotten attacking wise