The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Yet before Keena arrived you were raving about Mortimer's performance, even saying he was our best striker since Jamie Longworth - which was of course a ridiculous statement, especially for a striker who has never scored.   Or have I just imagined you saying that?  

I believe I read somewhere that Mortimer has left the club so all a bit academic.

On 20/06/2018 at 21:57, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Millen, Nimmo, Magee. Gerry, Foy, Gibson, Summers, Fotheringham, MacPherson and Mortimer. 

Update Fotheringham not been at training this week, don't know if he is in holiday or not. And rumour has it young Magee trying to get a move.  Mortimer still to appear also. 

Edited by spider1867

7 hours ago, Shugs said:

I'm no fan of Clyde but i have to commend them on sticking by Goodwillie. He was only found guilty by a judge in a CIVIL court case and that generally means sweet FA in the whole scheme of things. 

And we all know what happened to Ched Evans after he was thrown to the wolves after some mad skank accused him of rape. His career was pretty much finished despite the woman involved turning out to be a complete liar.

Until Goodwillie is found guilty by a jury in a criminal court then he's NOT a rapist.

Probably posted this in the wrong thread mate, QP love Clyde 

5 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Yet before Keena arrived you were raving about Mortimer's performance, even saying he was our best striker since Jamie Longworth - which was of course a ridiculous statement, especially for a striker who has never scored.   Or have I just imagined you saying that?  

I did say that. Feel better? Of course you'll have forgotten my balancing opinion later in the season when his noble efforts didn't bring the results we all wanted. But let's not let the facts disturb a good rant. 

I'd like your offer who was the better striker i.e. no.9 in that timeframe. Outwith loanees of course.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

30 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

On every club thread I've read fans differ on a range of subjects. This is the only one where some fans under the same flag can't help making it personal. Some folk need to broaden their lives a bit. It's just a game. Why are so many QP fans intolerant to others opinions?

Unsafe places.pdf

Irony off the scale.

Well, no point in crying over spilled milk or missed opportunities...................losing two last minute goals to Albion Rovers, hitting the woodwork four times in the next game against them, the disallowed free kick, hitting the bar, and the one off the line v Stenny. The league table doesn't lie and we deserve to be down.
It's not our first relegation, but unlike all the others I've experienced it's the first time (perhaps I just didn't hear them?) I've not noticed anyone calling for the manager's head after the final whistle. Apathy or a realisation that year 2 in a higher league has always been a struggle for us. We have been promoted 5 times since World War 2, and each time (with one single season exception) we've been relegated in the 2nd season, so I think there's an acceptance of how hard a mountain that is to climb when your promotion stalwarts depart after the first season.
So unlike his predecessors, Gus appears to be under no pressure to resign, but will he fancy another crack with no money to spend on recruitments - it must be hard to have 4 out of every 5 targets (an informed guess) turn down his signing offers, or will the Committee take matters into their own hands............incredibly some think "waiting in the wings" Gardiner is the answer, in which case I'd love to know what the question was!
Looming like a dark thunderstorm on the horizon is the question of Hampden's future. Will we be well rid of our dependency on it's income, or will a necessity-driven blackmailed bargain sale just be the first nail in a coffin of steady deterioration? I've absolutely no idea what effect on player recruitment this will have. Unless we can no longer afford to run them it should have little effect on our youth teams and the steady stream of talent that produces. But all those players are novices when they reach our 1st team, and they need experienced players to guide them. Will the Ferrys, Troutens and Dunlops of this world want to spend their final seasons with us, or are we like an elderly aunt who deserves a nod of appreciation, but little more than that?
Are there more like Gerry McLauchlan for whom the love of playing now outweighs picking up a few quid here and there? Perhaps, but since the demise of any quality within the amateur leagues (oh for another Jim or Mick Gillespie, Keith Mackenzie, Davie Greig etc.) it's the Junior ranks that recent coaches have had to heavily rely on, and Gus is perhaps one of the most knowledgeable and influential coaches currently operating within that market. The unanswered question though is how many of those signings came to us because they could see the bigger picture (a successful year or two with us and the possibility of landing a decent signing on fee that would more than cover the loss of taxed earnings in that period), or were they just here because they fancied playing at the National Stadium in the footsteps of Law, Baxter, Dalglish et al?
If there were several in the category, then the loss of Hampden will have a profound long term negative effect on us, although there could be a short-term two year hiatus of players queueing up to enjoy that final privilege before it's gone forever. I'm sure that there's also been the occasional 50/50 decision that a player has had to make between staying Junior or signing for Albion Rovers (for example), where the manager's passing comment "you'll get to play twice at Hampden next season" has struck a chord, so perhaps other clubs will be affected by the ripples too?
Is it overstating it to suggest that the next three months rank amongst the most important in our entire history? If we get screwed over in the Hampden negotiations (it matters not whether it's due to Committee weakness or simple acceptance of the Debenture situation) and we don't recruit well during the close season, we could find ourselves looking for a brand new home at the same time as facing a struggle to remain in the SPFL.
Perhaps more than ever before, I suspect that most QP fans will be remaining very "switched-on" during the close season and keeping a close-eye on things. Not for us the luxury of simply putting our scarves away for 10 weeks and then catching up on things at the first pre-season friendly.

Spider lay off the monkey pills

On 21/06/2018 at 18:58, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Careful. The Spider will have somebody at your door with a two-pound hammer in a black bin liner if you keep that up.

7 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

On every club thread I've read fans differ on a range of subjects. This is the only one where some fans under the same flag can't help making it personal.

Without making it too personal BYOS, I think you've outdone yourself in your own stupidity this time, although I'm sure you'll be able to manufacture some cute story to justify why it's one law for you but another for everyone else. Other options include your usual pattern of either deflecting or simply ignoring the matter for a few days and then re-surafce when you think the coast is clear. Talking of which, I'm still waiting for a retraction of your first statement, or evidence to justify its relevance to the myself and the club website. Alternatively, if you prefer, I'll just play by your rules and simply start making unsubstantiated comments about yourself.

One trait that is worth highlighting though is that when I got it wrong and accused another fan of not knowing the difference between stripes and hoops, I immediately apologised for my mistake. On the other hand, after having initially jumped on my bandwagon, you failed to do likewise preferring instead to make a condescending remark about my apology. I therefore think you are in no position to preach to anyone on this thread about their attitutude towards fellow fans.

2 hours ago, Joe coconuts said:

Spider lay off the monkey pills

Ooh ahh oot side the law

Spider how can we talk when we don't know the team this year

This is a tricky one Joe. Let me see now..............seemingly brand new to P&B, just these three posts to your name, no team supported...........which one of the Clyde buffoons are you really?

6 hours ago, The Spider said:

Without making it too personal BYOS, I think you've outdone yourself in your own stupidity this time, although I'm sure you'll be able to manufacture some cute story to justify why it's one law for you but another for everyone else. Other options include your usual pattern of either deflecting or simply ignoring the matter for a few days and then re-surafce when you think the coast is clear. Talking of which, I'm still waiting for a retraction of your first statement, or evidence to justify its relevance to the myself and the club website. Alternatively, if you prefer, I'll just play by your rules and simply start making unsubstantiated comments about yourself.

One trait that is worth highlighting though is that when I got it wrong and accused another fan of not knowing the difference between stripes and hoops, I immediately apologised for my mistake. On the other hand, after having initially jumped on my bandwagon, you failed to do likewise preferring instead to make a condescending remark about my apology. I therefore think you are in no position to preach to anyone on this thread about their attitutude towards fellow fans.

The players had hardly dried fom their showers after the last game when you jumped in to get this season's thread open, even when a healthy debate was continuing on the L1 club thread. an86 must have been gutted that he missed his spot this year.  When I'm out for days it's because I have other things to do with my life. I enjoyed PnB last season. there were more QP fans involved who wanted to talk about our team and football and a lot of good guys from other clubs. I was dreading this season for reasons that have been demonstrated already by a predicatable few. The importance you and others place on winning your arguments and defending every statement  isn't for me. I'd like PnB to be a loose community, say what you want when you want but with respect for others. More than anything, talk about football. As for those who interject very occasionally about how dire the thread is or mocking some light humour,  why don't they offer something more useful into a debate rather than an occasional derisory comment that does nothing except reinforce their own sense of importance.

It's been a trait for years on here that a certain group of fans are intolerant to other fans, show little in the way of constructive comments, blindly loyal and question nothing and are irritated by other fans who dare to have an alternate view. This thread doesn't qualify for the word Forum  and not often enough qualifies for the word Football. As the OP you should be taking the lead and creating conversation and stimulating debate. Not dominating the word count. 

Seen quite a bit of Pollok and agree about Wharton but disagree about Gallagher...he is robust and apart from his heading which has defo improved his all round game has gone backwards due to lack of technical ability needed in the Junior game.
Believe it or not Paul started out as a winger before moving back to full back and now centre back due to his stature.
He has too much ability IMO to be used as a battering ram...such a waste.

What did you make of the young fella "Sena". Looked very calm and assured for someone his age.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

More than anything, talk about football.

Says the man who suggested to another fan that he needs to be careful otherwise the nasty Spider might pay him a visit?  Your deflected answer isn't going to make this go away. Man-up and address the issue I've now rasied with you three times. Either admit that your comment was stupid, humour gone wrong, an error of judgement or whatever and retract it, or provide some evidence to justify its relevance to myself and the club website.

Quicker you do that sunshine, then the quicker you and I can get back to talking about football.

1 hour ago, houstonspider said:

What did you make of the young fella "Sena". Looked very calm and assured for someone his age.

Assume he's a Pollok player HS? Any likelihood that he'd even want to move to us?

Assume he's a Pollok player HS? Any likelihood that he'd even want to move to us?
Young 18 year old defender who is also very comfortable with ball at his feet and going forward so could probably work as a defensive mid too. Played 20 games last season.

21 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Update Fotheringham not been at training this week, don't know if he is in holiday or not. And rumour has it young Magee trying to get a move.  Mortimer still to appear also. 

Could lose Fotheringham and Mortimer quite happily. Would make no difference to the squad. Magee has promise and I would be sorry to see him go. Another season at our level would do him good.

I don’t think Fotheringham is a great player, but I don’t think he’s horrific either. He’s never going to be glamorous, much like McVey wasn’t. In my view, the problem last season was a lack of dig and drive in the middle of the park. That’s not Fotheringham or McVey’s game. We couldn’t replace McKernon and that’s one of the reasons we struggled in a big way. He’ll be fine in a more balanced midfield, as he was the season before. Having McKernon back at the club is a huge boost.

Edited by an86