The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

Does anyone know what went on prior to the Stenhousemuir game which resulted in Anton not coming out onto the field?

And does it have anything to do with the fact that he's now back at East Kilbride?

He was one of our best players but Gus really lost the dressing room in the final stages of the season as you could see the confidence drain from the boys week by week.

And good luck to Galty in Alloa. At least he won't have to play right-back for them...

Yes, £14 for the lowest tier of Scottish football is too high. I’ll pay it, you’ll pay it, everyone who goes to most home games will pay it, or more likely get a season ticket. The club could do or charge anything and the same 350/400 will have a moan and still turn up. 
Is £14 going to get a casual fan out of the boozer to watch Queen’s Park v Edinburgh City? Absolutely not. Even those who want to go to games and have minimal disposable income are going to give it a swerve unless it’s one of the bigger or more important games.
You’re absolutely correct about the concessions and that’s to be commended. The season ticket is also a decent deal if anyone can afford £200 in a oner after paying rent, bills, council tax etc. However, that doesn’t justify Queen’s and many other clubs charging silly money for what’s on show for walk up adults. Scottish football clubs are fantastic at chasing punters away.

SPFL report their gates were up last season. I’m sure we’ve done this excercise before but if you had 500 paying an extra £2 then you would need 83 walkups to recover that at £12. Never gonna happen.

1 minute ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

SPFL report their gates were up last season. I’m sure we’ve done this excercise before but if you had 500 paying an extra £2 then you would need 83 walkups to recover that at £12. Never gonna happen.

We’ll never know that unless we actually attempt to attract more fans. So we’ll never know.

3 hours ago, Shugs said:

Does anyone know what went on prior to the Stenhousemuir game which resulted in Anton not coming out onto the field?

And does it have anything to do with the fact that he's now back at East Kilbride?

He was one of our best players but Gus really lost the dressing room in the final stages of the season as you could see the confidence drain from the boys week by week.

And good luck to Galty in Alloa. At least he won't have to play right-back for them...

He is at EK for the same reason as the other guys, like Longworth and Woods, who better than Lowland League. He was a good player for us for the most part, but wasn’t one of our best players last season. He was mediocre with occasional good games. Only Galt and Keena were consistently good.

The confidence kept draining every week because we frequently lost games. We frequently lost games because we weren’t good enough for League One. 

Definite case of waiting to jump right on the managers back after the first defeat. I wonder if we’ll get the first call for his head by the end of the League Cup group stages?

Definite case of waiting to jump right on the managers back after the first defeat. I wonder if we’ll get the first call for his head by the end of the League Cup group stages?

No, no, no. It’s not going to happen. I believe that Gus will have reflected on the season and looked at his part in it all and how he can be better this season. He’ll have realised that the greater man will make the weak stronger, lift the lowly higher, make the good better. That those who are enlightened will realise that a team is the sum of many parts and if everyone is motivated to a higher standard then The Leader himself will be a greater individual. This will be the season to beat all seasons. I am lucky to be part of this.

6 hours ago, Shugs said:

Echo the good luck part, but if Alloa have to re-shuffle their side after a couple of injuries during a game, what makes you believe that he won't be asked to play as a wing-back for the team's benefit?  Equally, I doubt he'll be putting his name down to run a marathon a few games before an important game for them either, irrespective of how good a cause he's raising money for - the manager who's paying his wages is far less inclined to be as understanding as Gus was.

37 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

No, no, no. It’s not going to happen. I believe that Gus will have reflected on the season and looked at his part in it all and how he can be better this season. He’ll have realised that the greater man will make the weak stronger, lift the lowly higher, make the good better. That those who are enlightened will realise that a team is the sum of many parts and if everyone is motivated to a higher standard then The Leader himself will be a greater individual. This will be the season to beat all seasons. I am lucky to be part of this.

There's as much chance of that happening next season as there is of some of the regulars on here praising the players for every victory and blaming the manager for every defeat.............I mean, what are the odds on that?

There's as much chance of that happening next season as there is of some of the regulars on here praising the players for every victory and blaming the manager for every defeat.............I mean, what are the odds on that?

Think you’ve got a bit muddled there fella. So your saying that’s how it will work out? Or are you saying that some wrongly blame the manager when it’s the players who are at fault?

10 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Or are you saying that some wrongly blame the manager when it’s the players who are at fault?

I'd every confidence in you that you would reach the correct conclusion!

I've observed a pattern over the years that managers rarely get praise when the team plays well as a whole, and yet somehow if the players under-perform then some think it's entirely the manager's fault. Gus has some man-management issues, but particularly at an amateur club the coach has to drive the team forward when there's no win bonus to be fighting for. Does he need to hone his skills? Absolutely, but I don't think he's the monster that some make him out to be, and whilst we could potentially do better with someone else, I think there's a far stronger case that we could do a lot worse.

I think it was noticeable that there wasn't any protests or cries of "resign Gus" at the end of last season, suggesting that the vast majority of our support can see the bigger picture and realise that the man who took us up deserves another crack at it. As I said in a previous post, if it's all gone pear-shaped by the end of September then that's the time to re-evaluate, but personally I'm more than a little disappointed that (judging by recent posts) some already appear to have their vitriol prepared rather than give the man the chance to rebuild our fortunes.

11 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

Word up from the Coatbridge San Siro that Bryan Wharton has been training and set to sign. What happened to him , always impressed me but seems to have lost his way.

A favourite with many at Hampden Vic, but got into the habit of making a calamitous error every three or four games so got shipped out to Pollok. Mistakes are far less likely to be punished at this level, so I think you are onto a winner if you sign him and can see him doing very well for you.

14 hours ago, an86 said:

He is at EK for the same reason as the other guys, like Longworth and Woods, who better than Lowland League. He was a good player for us for the most part, but wasn’t one of our best players last season. He was mediocre with occasional good games. Only Galt and Keena were consistently good.

The confidence kept draining every week because we frequently lost games. We frequently lost games because we weren’t good enough for League One. 

The reason we lost matches (even though we still had the same squad from the season before which was 'good enough for League One') was because of the culture of fear which Gus instilled in everyone by dragging many players off before half-time due to them making one mistake (Bryan Wharton who was shipped off at half-time during one match to Pollock, Lewis Maghee for getting his studs caught in the turf which gifted a goal, Anton for a back pass which got intercepted and Docherty for missing an open goal which skidded off his shin)

Each week you could see the nerves accumulating in the side and it was no wonder Queens got relegated and threw away matches like the ones against Albion at home where QP were 2 goals up going into injury time only to drop 2 points and the one against Forfar at home (amongst MANY others)

Going 1 goal down within the first 6 minutes (which was the case during most matches) was the only thing that seemed to settle the nerves a bit (as ironic as that sounds) and Gus looking like he was constantly getting shot on the sideline and flailing his arms around like he was a pal of Spongebobs can't have helped matters.

3 minutes ago, Shugs said:

The reason we lost matches (even though we still had the same squad from the season before which was 'good enough for League One') was because of the culture of fear which Gus instilled in everyone by dragging many players off before half-time due to them making one mistake (Bryan Wharton who was shipped off at half-time during one match to Pollock, Lewis Maghee for getting his studs caught in the turf which gifted a goal, Anton for a back pass which got intercepted and Docherty for missing an open goal which skidded off his shin)

Each week you could see the nerves accumulating in the side and it was no wonder Queens got relegated and threw away matches like the ones against Albion at home where QP were 2 goals up going into injury time only to drop 2 points and the one against Forfar at home (amongst MANY others)

Going 1 goal down within the first 6 minutes (which was the case during most matches) was the only thing that seemed to settle the nerves a bit (as ironic as that sounds) and Gus looking like he was constantly getting shot on the sideline and flailing his arms around like he was a pal of Spongebobs can't have helped matters.

Your top point simply isn’t true. We lost two of our best players from the season before, which was our best finish in a generation. An amateur side performing the way we did that season constitutes punching massively above our weight.

As excellent an achievement as it was to finish four points outside the promotion playoffs, it’s also worth noting that we were only six points outside the relegation playoffs. It doesn’t take a genius to calculate what might happen when you lose your two best players. It must also be noted that one of the aforementioned best players was so terrified of Gus’s “climate of fear” that he’s returning to the club to work under his tyrannical regime again.

The style of management was successful for the first three seasons. It didn’t suddenly stop working. As ever with QP, good players gradually drift away. You don’t get away with that in League One and ultimately we deserved to be relegated. Exactly the same thing will happen again if we’re ever back in League One, whether under Gus or someone else. 

I think we’ve become slightly spoiled by the high finishes/promotions of most of the last decade and a sense of entitlement has crept in, in some quarters. I thought the sobering experience of 2013/14 might have killed that, but apparently not. The very idea of even playing in League One at that point looked a very distant possibility. 

That’s the last I’ll say on the drama queenery and toy throwing over last season. Onwards.

1 hour ago, Shugs said:

Each week you could see the nerves accumulating in the side and it was no wonder Queens got relegated and threw away matches like the ones against Albion at home where QP were 2 goals up going into injury time only to drop 2 points.

Yes, when Jack Iredale dithered about after receiving the ball back from kick-off and cost us two points v Rovers, my immediate reaction was that it was MacPherson's fault. Similarly when Whyte took longer than he needed to blooter the ball away up at Station Park and cost us two more points, did I blame him or the defender for the unecessary pass? No of course not, it was obviously MacPherson's fault.

And yet, despite months to think about it, I still haven't been able to work out why Gus was to blame, but obviously he was because you and a few others keep telling us he was. Either you guys have some insight into the game that the rest of us are lacking, or you so are so blinkered in your dislike of MacPherson's management style that you see him as the root cause of every on-field error.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. MacPherson is not the perfect manager, and neither was Eddie Hunter, but both were blessed with the ability to get the best out of certain players which was at the expense of others who fell by the wayside. Had both been able to adopt the "cuddle when needed" approach with some of the more sensitive players, then would they have been better managers for it? Of course, but if we accept that (other than home-grown ones) the players we sign are flawed (otherwise other they wouldn't be available to us), then why does the same logic not apply to our managers too?

It's funny but Cowboy McCormack had his flaws too (as was blatantly exposed later in his managerial career), but I don't recall him getting half the criticism MacPherson has received, nor have I seen a single one of you credit him with all the unpaid work he does to raise awareness for players' mental health issues. I wonder why that might be.............surely not because that profile doesn't match the "bully-boy" image portrayed on here?

Tell you what, instead of hiding behind your keyboard, why not go along to the supporters' meeting (all are welcome!) in the Social club at 7.30pm on 4th July, and put your points to MacPherson about his man-management style, and then come back on here with something of substance rather than guessing what goes on inside the dressing room (instead of relying on stories told by those who aren't getting as much game time as they would like)?