The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

On 14/06/2018 at 21:47, David W said:

He's 27.

Thanks David. I'd be wanting someone of that age to have sufficient experience to help our younger players, but he seems something of an under-achiever and well past the benefit of the doubt stage. Makes me wonder if Gus is just getting bodies on board just now and will sort out the wheat from the chaff in pre-season training and friendlies, but we'll see.

8 hours ago, The Spider said:

Thanks David. I'd be wanting someone of that age to have sufficient experience to help our younger players, but he seems something of an under-achiever and well past the benefit of the doubt stage. Makes me wonder if Gus is just getting bodies on board just now and will sort out the wheat from the chaff in pre-season training and friendlies, but we'll see.

Worth a punt on the basis of him being decent for Annan at this level. Hasn’t done much since he left, but hopefully we can see the best of him.

27 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

any opinions or stats on Connor McVey?

5 minutes ago, an86 said:

Unspectacular, not the greatest ability, but you’ll always get an honest shift out of him.

Ignore my colleague Sancho, as he doesn't have a clue what he talking about.

Conor is one of the most talented midfielders ever to play for the club, with superb dribbling skills and an eye for the killer pass. His goals stats will also confirm he's one of the most unselfish players you'll ever see as even when he has an open goal he'd prefer to lay it on for one of his team-mates to get the glory. Indeed, were it to be published, you'd probably find he's QP's all time record-holder for assists.

The sooner you get Conor in the team as your playmaker and ship a by comparison average Davie Anderson back to us, then the more you'll be thanking me, trust me.

29 minutes ago, The Spider said:

The sooner you get Conor in the team as your playmaker and ship a by comparison average Davie Anderson back to us, then the more you'll be thanking me, trust me.

Now there’s a player!

2 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

Safe to say your chances are zilch,zero,нуль on that lol

Thought I'd done enough to convince you and that the deal was in the bag :). Anyway, how's the wee maestro doing, is he 100% recovered from his injury problems and back to his scintillating best, or is he a bit more conservative these days and leaves the running to the youngsters?

Missed a few games this season but finished the season on a high, still covers every blade of grass, he is the best example to younger players that I have ever seen.

The fact that he never got a cap for Junior Scotland is criminal.

looking forward to seeing him and young Connor together, Gavin Mitchell also doing well.

hear you have two of ours heading your way in Kurtis Roberts and Dom McLaren

9 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

Missed a few games this season but finished the season on a high, still covers every blade of grass, he is the best example to younger players that I have ever seen.

The fact that he never got a cap for Junior Scotland is criminal.

looking forward to seeing him and young Connor together, Gavin Mitchell also doing well.

hear you have two of ours heading your way in Kurtis Roberts and Dom McLaren

Any good? Hopefully as good as the last two guys we signed from you!

No formal announcement, but prices are showing as the same as last season for 2018/19 on the official site. £14 entry for League Two level is scandalous and won’t attract many casual fans, not that we actually ever put any effort whatsoever into attracting locals along to games.

Edited by an86

No formal announcement, but prices are showing as the same as last season for 2018/19 on the official site. £14 entry for League Two level is scandalous and won’t attract many casual fans, not that we actually ever put any effort whatsoever into attracting locals along to games.

It’s only £2 more than 3 years ago. With inflation that’s really only £1 per game more. £18 per season. Hardly scandalous. And we’re still the lowest anywhere for concessions and family deals. I’d gladly offer you £18 but you’ll only go and gift it to Paddy Power or the like. Is it not better in the bank of our Glorious Hoops?

47 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It’s only £2 more than 3 years ago. With inflation that’s really only £1 per game more. £18 per season. Hardly scandalous. And we’re still the lowest anywhere for concessions and family deals. I’d gladly offer you £18 but you’ll only go and gift it to Paddy Power or the like. Is it not better in the bank of our Glorious Hoops?

Yes, £14 for the lowest tier of Scottish football is too high. I’ll pay it, you’ll pay it, everyone who goes to most home games will pay it, or more likely get a season ticket. The club could do or charge anything and the same 350/400 will have a moan and still turn up. 

Is £14 going to get a casual fan out of the boozer to watch Queen’s Park v Edinburgh City? Absolutely not. Even those who want to go to games and have minimal disposable income are going to give it a swerve unless it’s one of the bigger or more important games.

You’re absolutely correct about the concessions and that’s to be commended. The season ticket is also a decent deal if anyone can afford £200 in a oner after paying rent, bills, council tax etc. However, that doesn’t justify Queen’s and many other clubs charging silly money for what’s on show for walk up adults. Scottish football clubs are fantastic at chasing punters away.

Edited by an86