The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

15 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It's getting exciting. Running out of days to just guess wtf is going on.

Image result for star wars illogical gif

assume preseason training will start back some time next week?...think most clubs return w/c 18th...seen quite a few of last years team getting signed elsewhere so will be interesting to see who has been retained and who Gus and his scouts have unearthed?

18 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

A. Trialist
N.A.Buddy
Nu Guay ( Vietnamese)
No Kan Do (Korean)
Shi Twan (Vulcan)

Don't forget you'll be transferring in Ho Lee Fuk, Wi Tu Loh, and Sum Ting Wong  from Hong Kong when you're close to tenth by Christmas.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

A. Trialist
N.A.Buddy
Nu Guay ( Vietnamese)
No Kan Do (Korean)
Shi Twan (Vulcan)

what about Hu Zatt and Ano Ther?

I'm afraid Turkish midfield trialist Yufat Bstard has gone to the Juniors...

Before you know it we'll be signing the lad with a Nigerian mother and a Scots father.................Mabosa Ritchie.

I also recall that Celtic tried to sign the Austrian internationalist left-sided midfielder Marcus Schoppe way back in 1979. Had they been successful that would have seen them line up with a midfield trio of.............................

Glavin   Burns   Schoppe    :lol::lol::lol:  (those who don't get that one might want to read this https://www.scotsman.com/sport/glavin-fires-memories-of-scots-fans-while-barnsley-rejoice-in-return-of-their-king-1-1291291)

10 hours ago, Boris the Spider said:

I wasn’t too bothered about getting signing news quickly but if it stops this dreadful patter please hurry up Gus.

more likely sour grapes due to a lack of creativity and imagination on your part if you ask me

Mind the last time Gus had to re-build a squad for a League 2 campaign? Pretty sure that it took a lot longer than the middle of June  and the season worked out just fine

Think I'll focus on my various World Cup sweeps and bets over the next few weeks

28 minutes ago, spider1867 said:

I'm hearing at least 12 players have left which includes loan players could be a few more also. 

I think there's a bit of "glass half full" or "glass half empty" going on here.  Should we be concerned that we've lost a dozen players with more perhaps to follow, who in truth are a mixture of assets and liabilities (and no, I'm not going to get drawn into which are which!), or be excited that through a mixture of choice and circumstance we've got the opportunity to get rid of the staleness that characterised much of our play last season.

Obviously time will tell, but I think we should all adopt a responsible attitude to this and wait until we get to the end of September before reaching any hasty conclusions. There are regulars on this thread who have posted of their confidence that we should be definite promotion contenders only to about-turn a few weeks into that particular season (and no, I'm not going to name names there either - they know who they are!).

The point is that we have absolutely no form guide to assist us in such rash predictions this season. Until we've seen every team at least once we'll not know the quality of the opposition, and until we can arrive at a semblance of a settled side we'll not have any clue as to how well our new signings adapt to Gus, the club, playing at Hampden and the different level they may be playing at.

For off-the-field reasons too, this is the most volatile season I can recall in the 44 years since I first became a season ticket holder, so whatever your agenda (Gus in or Gus out) all I ask is that we keep our powder dry for another three months or so and give players, coaching staff and committee the opportunity to operate unhindered. If we do that and they fail to deliver, then that's a different story, but they are far more likely to succeed (which is surely what we all want?) if we unite behind them for the time being.

Personally I'm excited by the possibility that Gus might be able to unearth a few hidden gems, but I've also got a little bit of trepidation that so few of his new charges last season lasted beyond Christmas. Giving Gus the benefit of the doubt, I'd say that the jump to League 1 was too much for them, and that he'll have more joy this time around - let's hope so!

11 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Obviously time will tell, but I think we should all adopt a responsible attitude to this and wait until we get to the end of September before reaching any hasty conclusions. There are regulars on this thread who have posted of their confidence that we should be definite promotion contenders only to about-turn a few weeks into that particular season (and no, I'm not going to name names there either - they know who they are!).

Happy to admit this. I think most of last seasons squad would have been good enough for a tilt at the top four in League Two, but didn't factor in just how many would leave. That becomes more difficult with a lack of experience. I'd like to see the likes of Gerry McLaughlin retained. Looked ok in the fleeting spell that he played and would come with hundreds of games of league experience. Scott McLaughlin, released by Rovers, was signed by Gus for Queen of the South. He's the sort of player I could also see us talking to. Again, hundreds of games under his belt.

We watch junior games all year round for targets for the following season and also have a close eye on the under 20s, where we might pick up guys on loan or who have been released. I understand folk will look at the names I've mentioned and might be underwhelmed by them, but I think experience could be crucial if we're bringing in a lot of guys who haven't been over the course. Having said that, it's certainly easier to build a competitive team for League Two in the market we shop in than it is in League One. I suppose the beauty of Queen's Park is that you'll go into a lot of seasons and not know if you're getting a box of diamonds or a box of turd.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Jamie McKernon has confirmed that he has signed for us next season on Twitter. Fantastic news.  

That's cracking news - when he came back from injury and replaced Darren "The Huff" Millar we went on an amazing run whereby we didn't lose in umpteen games. Next someone will be telling me Davie Anderson fancies another crack with us!