The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

22 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Filthy lucre M13, filthy lucre. Happy to give any player a second chance, but no matter how good any player is taking Muir back yet again would be sending out entirely the wrong message. Do we really want to get into the habit of allowing players to come and go as they please mid-season, and how did that work out for us last season?

We are a club with proud traditions that were put in place for good reason, so forgive me for not joining the clamour to encourage the return of someone who has already treated us contemptuously.

It didn’t work out last season as gus didn’t play him for some reason!!

If Gus and him patch up there differences would gladly have him back, don't blame him leaving, although shouldn't have been allowed to go during the season. Scandalous decision to let him go , no comparison between him and White.

40 minutes ago, PASSANDMOVE said:

If Gus and him patch up there differences would gladly have him back, don't blame him leaving, although shouldn't have been allowed to go during the season. Scandalous decision to let him go , no comparison between him and White.

Muir wanted to go. There are two stories, neither of which involve him being chased out of the club. 

Yeah there is always two sides to a story but you don’t just stop playing the best keeper in the league for no reason we all know gus throws his toys out the pram!! Anyway if he did come back would be great and get us back up again!! 

36 minutes ago, Marshall13 said:

Yeah there is always two sides to a story but you don’t just stop playing the best keeper in the league for no reason we all know gus throws his toys out the pram!! Anyway if he did come back would be great and get us back up again!! 

Also worth saying that no player is entitled to a place in the side and that any toy throwing didn’t come from the manager. If someone wants to be a Queen’s Park player, it can’t be on their terms only. If he’d wanted to remain a Queen’s Park player, he would have remained one. As has been said, I hope a line is drawn under whatever may or may not have happened.

Don’t understand this other clubs are announcing signing our players. Our players are telling us on Twitter they are leaving but have we heard anything from our club?
Don’t even want to know who our potential signings are just want someone to tell us who has gone and which members of the squad from last year have indicated they are staying.
As for Muir if he had played last year for the full season we would still be in league one .

15 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

Don’t understand this other clubs are announcing signing our players. Our players are telling us on Twitter they are leaving but have we heard anything from our club?
Don’t even want to know who our potential signings are just want someone to tell us who has gone and which members of the squad from last year have indicated they are staying.
As for Muir if he had played last year for the full season we would still be in league one .

Yeah course we would still be up in league 1 

32 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

There’s absolutely no basis for this. He’s a good keeper, not some sort of miracle worker. The fact that he was in goal when we conceded five at home to the worst team in the league points to this.

4 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

Sorry I thought he was previous player of the year . We were poor at the back last year and a good keeper would have saved us enough points to stay up .

We were losing horrific goals when he was playing, we were losing horrific goals when White played . He’s a better keeper than White, but Gianluigi Buffon couldn’t have kept us up given the way we defended all season.

2 hours ago, bobthespider said:

It's simple Bob, it's the Queen's Park way! This comes up every single year and we moan and complain about it, but it ain't gonna change because knowledge is power, and they think that by keeping quiet about signings in particular that it reduces the likelihood of another club gazumping us before we can register them. If previous seasons are anything to go by then you can expect a list of re-signings in late June and a confirmed list of new signings (that we'll all already have identified from our own investigative work) on the day before the first official fixture.

Hampden Diehard's an expert on this topic. He'll be able to provide you with a less cynical version!

Hampden Diehard's an expert on this topic. He'll be able to provide you with a less cynical version!

Dead bloody simple. You keep the best til last; that way your close season ends with a bang. You should always have your most enjoyable experience at the end of a meal (or, in this case, close season). You wouldn't have your ice cream and jelly BEFORE your mince and tatties.

So...enjoy the Champions League, the World Cup and the two wet weeks in the caravan first.....and THEN you have the spanking new QP team to top it all off. A shuddering climax to the close season.

Personally, I'm not that bothered about hearing early on who we've signed unless it's someone like Messi (aka Davie Anderson). I'll look forward to whoever it is doing the business in the first official fixture.

15 hours ago, The Spider said:

Do we really want to get into the habit of allowing players to come and go as they please mid-season, and how did that work out for us last season?

We are a club with proud traditions that were put in place for good reason, so forgive me for not joining the clamour to encourage the return of someone who has already treated us contemptuously.

..."allowing players to come and go" eh? I recall asking the question in January, when the debate was about players coming in, was there any concern about key players leaving? You boldly predicted that nobody would leave unless Gus wanted to. Remember? So who's the villain in this pantomime?

14 hours ago, Marshall13 said:

It didn’t work out last season as gus didn’t play him for some reason!!

Despite the alleged intervention of Mrs Muir, a one-eyed man with a white stick could see that there was serious friction between Gus and Wullie. I'm on record several times that the key players for getting us promoted were Muir, McGeever and Berry and our successful L1 campaign dependant on Muir, McGeever and McKernon. Muir was the last critical player we had last season and rightly would have thought a bit of respect was due but there were several public spats between the two during games, one notably where a heated conversation ended with Wullie advising Gus to "f**k off". 

Wullie actually wasn't close to his previous years' performances but his confidence, like the rest of the team, would have been low and there can't be any doubt that the continous rotation of the defenders was a tension point for the goalie. No doubt in my mind that he was 'punished' for sharing his opinions with the boss, like so many others over the season. The fact that the starting XI was still getting tinkered with to the end of the season told a story. For Gus it's more important that he wins his personal battles rather than Queen's Park winning their battles on the pitch. Nothing will change this season.

12 hours ago, an86 said:

There’s absolutely no basis for this. He’s a good keeper, not some sort of miracle worker. 

There isn't now because he played less than half a season. Had he been given the confidence, had a stable defence in front of him (bear in mind that's Gus' speciality) we might well have seen a resurgence in the second half of the season. Like the others on here I can only make a judgement based on what I saw from Muir and White over the course of the last 3 years. But we'll never know now. Thanks to that naughty Mrs. Muir. Nothing to do with Gus, right? I think the fact that White has been instanty released is damning evidence that he wasn't good enough to be a L1 first-choice keeper.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

Let's not over-complicate this! Muir wanted to break his season long contract mid-term to chase the silver dollar. My stance which has not wavered one iota is that we should not have allowed him to go. I made the additional point that he wouldn't be going unless Gus sanctioned it.

We can debate the rights and wrongs of that decision until the cows come home, as well as speculate on the repercussions, but which part of the above paragraph is it that you have an issue with me on?

30 minutes ago, The Spider said:

I made the additional point that he wouldn't be going unless Gus sanctioned it.

Aren't all the players are on amateur contracts now after the minimum wage hoo ha so can walk away when they choose with 28 days notice? Gus has no say if a player chooses to do this.

3 hours ago, JT1867 said:

Aren't all the players are on amateur contracts now after the minimum wage hoo ha so can walk away when they choose with 28 days notice? Gus has no say if a player chooses to do this.

100% correct. This was all explained at the recent AGM....and we were also told at last year's AGM that this rule was getting introduced.  I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on this forum as well.

Surprised The Spider wasn't aware of this.  

4 hours ago, The Spider said:

Let's not over-complicate this! Muir wanted to break his season long contract mid-term to chase the silver dollar. My stance which has not wavered one iota is that we should not have allowed him to go. I made the additional point that he wouldn't be going unless Gus sanctioned it.

We can debate the rights and wrongs of that decision until the cows come home, as well as speculate on the repercussions, but which part of the above paragraph is it that you have an issue with me on?

eh...the last two sentences?