The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

'Tis indeed. More than disappointing. An enforced spell on the bench early in the season seemed to cool the fire that was his engine. Skilful, great shot, space maker, worked hard off the ball. He was the best chance we had to build a replacement for McKernon but as with many others his non-compliance was a bigger issue rather than letting him flourish. Hope he gets his desire for the game back at Kilby.

It's a credit to EK that they can attract players of Brady's quality when they haven't a coach in place yet.

Brian Kerr appointed

10 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

'Tis indeed. More than disappointing. An enforced spell on the bench early in the season seemed to cool the fire that was his engine. Skilful, great shot, space maker, worked hard off the ball. He was the best chance we had to build a replacement for McKernon but as with many others his non-compliance was a bigger issue rather than letting him flourish. Hope he gets his desire for the game back at Kilby.

It's a credit to EK that they can attract players of Brady's quality when they haven't a coach in place yet.

Brian Kerr is their new manager. Paul Woods has signed for them as well. Looks like they are loosening the purse strings and having another serious tilt at it. It’s only going to get more difficult as some of the juniors come in.

Brian Kerr is their new manager. Paul Woods has signed for them as well. Looks like they are loosening the purse strings and having another serious tilt at it. It’s only going to get more difficult as some of the juniors come in.

I was gutted they didn't get promoted this year. That would have gave us a derby game. Still, we've got The Rovers down too so they can stop pretending about their relationship with Airdrie. I think ARFC is the team we've had most fixtures against ever. Great wee club.

18 hours ago, an86 said:

Dumbarton at Lesser Hampden, July 5th (7.45 ko)

Not been at a game at Lesser Hampden since the new pavilion bit was built. Take it you can still get in dead easily for friendlies?

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Not been at a game at Lesser Hampden since the new pavilion bit was built. Take it you can still get in dead easily for friendlies?

“Closed door.” If it’s like every other season, you’ll be able to stroll in.

4 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I will just be delighted to see the black and white stripes back at Hampden. Goodness knows who will be wearing them.

Probably Elgin unless we've got a "glamour" pre-season friendly against Dunfermline or Notts County.  'Mon the hoops stripes!

16 hours ago, The Spider said:

Probably Elgin unless we've got a "glamour" pre-season friendly against Dunfermline or Notts County.  'Mon the hoops stripes!

11 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Ahem! Hoops. Stripes are the uniform of commoners. Looking forward to it myself. Would love to see the IRN BRU colours back for the second strip too.

I am obviously a uniform common fellow. Hoops it is then when I am amongst the posh.

Edited by williebraveheart

16 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Ahem! Hoops. Stripes are the uniform of commoners. Looking forward to it myself. Would love to see the IRN BRU colours back for the second strip too.

Heard from a decent source that we won't be getting new kit next season, just using the current stuff.  Hoops of course back as "home" strip.  The dark blue as "away".  Red will also be used if required 

5 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I am obviously a uniform common fellow. Hoops it is then when I am amongst the posh.

No, just someone who is struggling to differentiate between vertical and horizontal.

4 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Heard from a decent source that we won't be getting new kit next season, just using the current stuff.  Hoops of course back as "home" strip.  The dark blue as "away".  Red will also be used if required 

Big fan of the red strip, but it must be up there with the longest running in world fitba’. We were wearing it during *that* season and that seems an age ago.

Sirs,

It is with no little pain that I feel myself constrained to put pen to paper in order to perform the distasteful task of upbraiding some of the more callow adherents of The Queen's Park Football Club. Their insistence in using the word "hoops" to describe stripes of the horizontal variety is a sad lapse in both taste and accuracy.

When I began to follow the fortunes of The Spiders many decades ago, no-one used the term "hoops" to describe the colours worn by the gentleman players of our august institution. The colours on the jersey were referred to as "black and white one inch stripes," or if further clarification were required, "black and white one inch horizontal stripes."

Allow me sirs, to append the briefest of adumbrations. Mr. Robinson in his magisterial history of the first fifty years of Queen's Park, describes in some detail the adoption of our present day uniform. It was to consist of "red cap, black and white inch stripe jersey and stockings, and white knickerbockers." Thus it has remained although sadly the red cap has disappeared and knickerbockers are now referred to as "shorts," an unfortunate term which brings to mind an undergarment worn by American gentlemen.

In a passage which invariably brings a tear to my eye, Mr Robinson has written, "Thus the famous black and white stripes were evolved, club colours which are known all the world o'er as the badge of true amateurism."

It is my belief that the term "hoops" may have gained currency among the more uncouth section of our support in unfortunate imitation of the adherents of a club in the East End of the City. Whatever the truth may be, this word should not be uttered around Hampden and I urge my fellow supporters to desist from its use when offering verbal encouragement to our players.

Yours, etc.

Major Spidersmad (retd.)

Sirs,
It is with no little pain that I feel myself constrained to put pen to paper in order to perform the distasteful task of upbraiding some of the more callow adherents of The Queen's Park Football Club. Their insistence in using the word "hoops" to describe stripes of the horizontal variety is a sad lapse in both taste and accuracy.
When I began to follow the fortunes of The Spiders many decades ago, no-one used the term "hoops" to describe the colours worn by the gentleman players of our august institution. The colours on the jersey were referred to as "black and white one inch stripes," or if further clarification were required, "black and white one inch horizontal stripes."
Allow me sirs, to append the briefest of adumbrations. Mr. Robinson in his magisterial history of the first fifty years of Queen's Park, describes in some detail the adoption of our present day uniform. It was to consist of "red cap, black and white inch stripe jersey and stockings, and white knickerbockers." Thus it has remained although sadly the red cap has disappeared and knickerbockers are now referred to as "shorts," an unfortunate term which brings to mind an undergarment worn by American gentlemen.
In a passage which invariably brings a tear to my eye, Mr Robinson has written, "Thus the famous black and white stripes were evolved, club colours which are known all the world o'er as the badge of true amateurism."
It is my belief that the term "hoops" may have gained currency among the more uncouth section of our support in unfortunate imitation of the adherents of a club in the East End of the City. Whatever the truth may be, this word should not be uttered around Hampden and I urge my fellow supporters to desist from its use when offering verbal encouragement to our players.
Yours, etc.
Major Spidersmad (retd.)

Admire your work Major but Allez Les Stripes just doesn't work the same. Your words echo the plight of our club at the moment. How to keep the best of the past without holding back the future. QPFC have always been a giving club and it's important we can find room in our hearts for the Uncouth. Say a prayer for them.

Yours in sport

Monsignor BYOS

#jesuis'oops

Sir,

Once more I find myself constrained to put quill to parchment.

"Allez?" "Je suis?" "Monsignor?" Oh, I say! I blame the introduction of the electric tramcar service to Mount Florida which brought an influx of the wrong sort of people to Queen's Park games. My previous missive was penned in defence of Mr. Braveheart whose historically accurate use of the term "stripes" attracted unnecessary and mistaken opprobium .

I must conclude this letter in haste as it is past ten o'clock in the morning and the local alehouse will soon be opening its doors.

Yours, etc.

Major Spidersmad (retd.)

44 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

...attracted unnecessary and mistaken opprobium .

Word of the Day :lol::lol: Superb! Mr Braveheart will indeed be grateful. Your defence is justified. 

I expect you'll be getting a visit from The Spider soon whose mockery was a little more cutting than my modest correction. I sense he's ploughing through the Oxford as we speak. Enjoy your flat, warm beer. Sante!