Chris Templeman retires.

Maybe of no great interest to many fans but equally there will be quite a few who remember Chris (Sanny) Templeman who has now retired from playing. During his 20+ years football career he played for Dunfermline, Dumbarton, Stirling Albion, Brechin, Morton, East Fife, Forfar and Montrose making 573 Senior appearances and scoring 159 goals. At 6 feet 5 inches he was a perfect target man and occupied at least two defenders and as far as I can recall was only ever red carded once and that was because he was not nimble enough in his latter career. Whatever, I don't think anybody from an opposition club could say he was a dirty player. The world of football could do with plenty more like him.

We at Montrose wish him well in whatever way life leads him from now on and I'm sure fans of other clubs may do the same. Respect to 'Sanny.'

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said MoForever. Great for the big guy to go out on a high. Wish him well for whatever he does in the future.

A great player at this level - probably too slow to cut it at the top level but certainly one of the top players in the lower leagues for years and years. Always a real pest when we played against whoever it was that he was with.

Guest TOPFITTER

Respect Big Yin, just a few weeks to late from a Peterhead FC perspective [emoji6][emoji460]️[emoji294]️

What made him stand out from several of his ilk was that he had the touch of a player 12" smaller. Sorry to put a slight dampener on a generous thread, but in spite of his lack of genuine pace I still felt he should have played at a higher level more regularly than his Morton "pinnacle", but whether that was down to lack of opportunity or commitment I don't know.

No doubting his commitment to whatever team he played for though, and the 159 goals he scored himself will have been considerable exceeded by the others he created for team-mates. A master of the chest-trap, and his ability to flick accurate volleys to out of sight support players was uncanny at times.

I also love the footnote that Peterhead are ruing his final season, as it was Jim McInally who paid Brechin the £100k that Shed Boy refers to back in 2004 (shades of Tore Andre Flo-esque value for money, or am I being a bit harsh?).

1 hour ago, The Spider said:

What made him stand out from several of his ilk was that he had the touch of a player 12" smaller. Sorry to put a slight dampener on a generous thread, but in spite of his lack of genuine pace I still felt he should have played at a higher level more regularly than his Morton "pinnacle", but whether that was down to lack of opportunity or commitment I don't know.

No doubting his commitment to whatever team he played for though, and the 159 goals he scored himself will have been considerable exceeded by the others he created for team-mates. A master of the chest-trap, and his ability to flick accurate volleys to out of sight support players was uncanny at times.

I also love the footnote that Peterhead are ruing his final season, as it was Jim McInally who paid Brechin the £100k that Shed Boy refers to back in 2004 (shades of Tore Andre Flo-esque value for money, or am I being a bit harsh?).

Is he not a Doctor away from the game?  

Was immense for Montrose and will be a big loss.To go out the way he did with a league 2 medal is rather fitting for him.What a touch he had for a big lad... superb!!!!!All the best sir sanny

18 minutes ago, dougster said:

Is he not a Doctor away from the game?  

He is a janitor in a Fife school. True professional looked after himself to still play well into his 30 s. He spent a lot of his career playing for Dick Campbell . 

All the best to him, been a nuisance down the years; difficult player to deal with. Good technically and clever; lanky forwards don't typically come with those qualities down here.

If he was a bit more... Hustle-and-Bustle... And a bit nippier... Doubtless he'd have made a name at a higher level.

Aye he made the best of what he was good at, always thought you could let him win headers without him doing too much damage but could not let him take the ball in to feet as he was dangerous then. His style has meant a lengthy career as he tended to stroll through games. Think most centre-halfs would have preferred him on their side rather than being a thorn in their side playing against him. Never seemed to be nasty & apart from a moan now and then seemed to get on with the game. All the best to him

Fantastic servant to every club he has been with. Been a pleasure to have him playing with us the last two seasons and play a massive part in us becoming the Champions. Enjoy your retirement Chris and hopefully see you back at Links Park soon.

Archived