Phuket stag

Booker_d

Bit of a long shot but I do know there are Asian based posters here.

Trying to help organise a stag weekend in Patong in a few weeks time (dont ask). Looking for any ideas, suggestions, experiences of things to do other than look at dead behind the eyes strippers all evening (which will also no doubt happen anyway). 

Thinking pool party. Scooters, etc? 

Unfortunately Phuket has already been booked. The guy organising has had to pull out so I offered to take up the reigns. 

Booked hotel just off of Bangla Road. Been to Phuket several times (the joy of living in the home country of Airasia) but looking for something a little different. Think I'm actually a little fed up of the debauchery, although that will still be part of the proceedings. 

Doesn't have to be Phuket specific I guess, also open to generic stag ideas. 

Sorry for being so vague, just a little stuck for ideas 

8 hours ago, Booker_d said:

Unfortunately Phuket has already been booked. The guy organising has had to pull out so I offered to take up the reigns. 

Booked hotel just off of Bangla Road. Been to Phuket several times (the joy of living in the home country of Airasia) but looking for something a little different. Think I'm actually a little fed up of the debauchery, although that will still be part of the proceedings. 

Doesn't have to be Phuket specific I guess, also open to generic stag ideas. 

Sorry for being so vague, just a little stuck for ideas 

To be honest, if you're going to Phuket on a stag do then anything other than debauchery is a bit pointless.  I've  been a few times and cannot really recommend anything interesting to do other than the obvious.

To be honest, if you're going to Phuket on a stag do then anything other than debauchery is a bit pointless.  I've  been a few times and cannot really recommend anything interesting to do other than the obvious.
Up away from the obvious across from the holiday inn and hard rock cafe theres a cracking back street of wee beach type of beer bars with thatched roofs etc .Had a few good nights up there bouncing from one to one getting pished

To be honest I found Phuket awesome. Not been to Pattaya but sounds way to seedy even compared to Phuket/Patong. A days kayak tour round the islands I would recommend. I used this company:

http://seacanoe.net/

its more expensive than others but it has the top trip advisor ratings. There is a gun range on the outskirts of Phuket too. I did the rafting one time as well and found it really fun but its a bit further away iirc. If you cant be hooped with exercise chartering a boat for the day with some beer can be really good.

I wouldn't recommend scooters around Patong as the roads are really busy btw if folk aren't used to them.

16 hours ago, doulikefish said:
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

Up away from the obvious across from the holiday inn and hard rock cafe theres a cracking back street of wee beach type of beer bars with thatched roofs etc .Had a few good nights up there bouncing from one to one getting pished

I think I know where you mean - right across from the Hard Rock and there are a mass of open air bars.  I liked Phuket but it has become like most other Thai resorts - the only thing that varies is the number of bars.

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:04, doulikefish said:
On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 15:40, hk blues said:

were they where the market is? I saw a few thatched bars (mobile looking) and meant to head back at night as they looked good. was around hard rock cafe

were they where the market is? I saw a few thatched bars (mobile looking) and meant to head back at night as they looked good. was around hard rock cafe
Yip market during the day

On 10/05/2018 at 05:02, gannonball said:

Yes, that exactly where I mean.  The market was at the roadside and the bars etc behind - right opposite the Hard Rock Cafe.  IIRC there was also a garish motel looking place next to it - looked out of place.

1 minute ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I will be in Phuket in the new year for 5/6 nights with my 14 year old daughter. Should I be avoiding Patong as a destination? How seedy is it?

It's as seedy as you want it to be, you can avoid the seedy parts if you like.  Walking Street has a range of bars but mostly of the girly type but not exclusively.

I booked all my internal flights this week. So having 4 days in Chiang Mai, 6 in Phuket and 4 in Bangkok I think.

Not booked any hotels anywhere but had been thinking of Patong and riverside in Bk.

Wouldn’t mind it being lively in Patong but not wanting my daughter walking around a bunch of single men on stags it creepy sex tourists particularly.

Is Kata and Karon too quiet?

On 5/12/2018 at 07:07, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I booked all my internal flights this week. So having 4 days in Chiang Mai, 6 in Phuket and 4 in Bangkok I think.

Not booked any hotels anywhere but had been thinking of Patong and riverside in Bk.

Wouldn’t mind it being lively in Patong but not wanting my daughter walking around a bunch of single men on stags it creepy sex tourists particularly.

Ive stayed at the previously mentioned Holiday inn in phuket with my missus a few times.Its very family orientated and a good distance away from the creepy sex tourists,Hard rock cafe etc on one side and about a 30 second walk to the beach and plenty food places etc around the area.Also about a 10 min walk from a small shopping centre Seen plenty families with kids etc there and theres a decent pool aswell

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnresorts/hotels/us/en/phuket/phuth/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-HI-_-TH-_-PHUTH

Avoid the Bangla in Patong.

On 5/12/2018 at 14:00, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I will be in Phuket in the new year for 5/6 nights with my 14 year old daughter. Should I be avoiding Patong as a destination? How seedy is it?

You can always stay elsewhere and then jump in a Taxi to Patong for the spectacle of it for an evening. And then get back out. 

I found Kamala to be super creepy. Whereas alot of Patong is just for show, Kamala was much quieter which made the creepy sex tourists and their Thai women stand out much more. 

It might be too far away from the "action" but I have friends who rave about the Pullman Arcadia in Naithon Beach. 

On 5/9/2018 at 04:04, doulikefish said:
On 5/8/2018 at 22:40, hk blues said:

Googled this and it's quite close to where we are staying. Near the Hooters?  Will likely give it a try. Thanks.

Googled this and it's quite close to where we are staying. Near the Hooters?  Will likely give it a try. Thanks.
Yip its up around there,if you cant find the wee street that goes up to it just basically stand in front of the hotel and cross the road and its there

• 8 months later...
On 5/12/2018 at 07:04, hk blues said:

It's as seedy as you want it to be, you can avoid the seedy parts if you like.  Walking Street has a range of bars but mostly of the girly type but not exclusively.

I think this can be said of Thailand and south east Asia in general. My girlfriend is Thai (cue the ladyboy / mail order bride jokes - heard the lot already) and I've found a lot of the time that you'll find the seediness if you go looking for it, but it's possible to go through an entire trip without encountering it. The one exception would probably be Pattaya, which is a total cesspit and quite a sad place to witness in all honesty. Both because of the desperation of these women to earn and find a better life and the sad desperation of the men paying for them.

Archived