Phuket stag

Booker_d

11 hours ago, S7C said:

I think this can be said of Thailand and south east Asia in general. My girlfriend is Thai (cue the ladyboy / mail order bride jokes - heard the lot already) and I've found a lot of the time that you'll find the seediness if you go looking for it, but it's possible to go through an entire trip without encountering it. The one exception would probably be Pattaya, which is a total cesspit and quite a sad place to witness in all honesty. Both because of the desperation of these women to earn and find a better life and the sad desperation of the men paying for them.

I've been living in the Philippines for 4 years now, and have yet to see any seediness in my city but I know it's there.  I remember my 1st trip to Pattaya which must have been 25 years ago - even then  it was hard to avoid the sex industry and much more so now the eastern Europeans have moved in.   

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I've been living in the Philippines for 4 years now, and have yet to see any seediness in my city but I know it's there.  I remember my 1st trip to Pattaya which must have been 25 years ago - even then  it was hard to avoid the sex industry and much more so now the eastern Europeans have moved in.   

Has the new President not just had all the sleazy types shot?

He seems to be the kind of guy who might frequent such places t.b.h. 

Cafe Havana, Makati. Chlamydia soup on the menu.

Never been to Angeles City, but it’s meant to be on a par with Pattaya.

Seediness is everywhere in South East Asia if that’s your thing, but also easily avoided.

Duterte, surely, has been through his fair share of gas coolers, if not a few more domestic helpers he cares to admit to.

3 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Duterte, surely, has been through his fair share of gas coolers, if not a few more domestic helpers he cares to admit to.

Knowing him, he'd probably be more than happy to admit to the above, and with a look of pride on his face as he did it!

What's the best idea for changing money for Thailand? I've been told get dollars then exchange there?

Can you not just get THB over here, or use ATMs over there? Seem stupid to loose money twice by exchanging.

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I know I agree. Taking money out the ATM there will cost around 8 euros a time minimum. Mental.

Take Sterling, but must be English notes and change it over there, you'd be surprised at the difference in rates.  They won't accept any notes with rips or tears, so ask your bank for new notes.

ETA.  Pattaya is beyond filth compared to the rest of Thailand, an eye opener of a place that I can't say I'd be in too much of a rush to return to.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Would going to the Eastern Thai islands like Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta in June be madness? Appears to be monsoon season.

I've been in July and it was fine, the odd afternoon shower for half and hour before brightening up again.  Phi Phi and Koh Lanta are on the Western side of the Malay Peninsula, not that it's particularly wide anyway.

Archived