Creating an atmosphere in the league 2

At the play off at Queen’s Park we had a group of teenagers at the bottom of the away end with a drum and some flags. Personally I thought it was brilliant. As my daughter took me on a tour of Hampden during the match I overheard two teenagers in the Queen’s Park end saying “OMG I can’t believe they actually brought a drum, I mean fair play for trying to create a bit of atmosphere, but OMG” and I thought why what’s wrong with it? Encouraging young fans to get involved and come in to a section of football that isn’t well supported, then having young fans on other sides effectively slating it. It’s something I would like to see more teams at this level do, personally.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the play off at Queen’s Park we had a group of teenagers at the bottom of the away end with a drum and some flags. Personally I thought it was brilliant. As my daughter took me on a tour of Hampden during the match I overheard two teenagers in the Queen’s Park end saying “OMG I can’t believe they actually brought a drum, I mean fair play for trying to create a bit of atmosphere, but OMG” and I thought why what’s wrong with it? Encouraging young fans to get involved and come in to a section of football that isn’t well supported, then having young fans on other sides effectively slating it. It’s something I would like to see more teams at this level do, personally.

I absolutely hate drums in the crowd. They don't create atmosphere, they just annoy. Maybe they should try singing.

It's brilliant to see the Stenny yung team at matches. For the last couple of seasons there has seemed to be a real drop off in young supporters at the ground - the death of the free under-16 season ticket was probably a major factor - and I was worried we were struggling to attract them back to Ochilview, so it's smashing to see them come along and get behind the team. There was a brilliant moment in last week's home match with Queen's Park when Jimmy Scott scored and the yung team charged to the other side of the goal to celebrate with the players.

The club, particularly Jamie Swinney, deserve a lot of credit too for their efforts to engage with young fans. We seem to have a better presence on Twitter (although the live minute-by-minute tweets need a heck of a lot of work) and "CEMSFC"'s media work is ever improving (although a more stringent line of questioning rather than "what's your thoughts?" would be welcomed). Long may it continue.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire-SFC said:

If they actually said 'OMG' then I'm afraid a football banning order is the only option.

We had a wee group of kids with a drum a few times earlier in the season, and it made a real difference. They were tremendous and, for me anyway, it's no surprise that a few of our best performances came when the stadium didn't sound like a morgue. Unfortunately some old bloke complained and had their drum confiscated, but I think everything's sorted now and we'll hopefully see them again.

As FF says there's a bit of an issue with attracting the generation after mine (I'm 20, so I'm thinking kids born between about 2000 and 2006) to games, and if they want to bring a drum and have a bit of fun with their pals whilst watching some lower league football then I'd say they should be encouraged. DFC have really upped the game recently PR wise, and hopefully that will have some telling results in the age of our core support.

If they actually said 'OMG' then I'm afraid a football banning order is the only option.
We had a wee group of kids with a drum a few times earlier in the season, and it made a real difference. They were tremendous and, for me anyway, it's no surprise that a few of our best performances came when the stadium didn't sound like a morgue. Unfortunately some old bloke complained and had their drum confiscated, but I think everything's sorted now and we'll hopefully see them again.
As FF says there's a bit of an issue with attracting the generation after mine (I'm 20, so I'm thinking kids born between about 2000 and 2006) to games, and if they want to bring a drum and have a bit of fun with their pals whilst watching some lower league football then I'd say they should be encouraged. DFC have really upped the game recently PR wise, and hopefully that will have some telling results in the age of our core support.

Haha thankfully they didn’t say OMG more oh my god but it was easier typing that on a broken phone screen haha. Likewise I’m 25 and the young lads at the game let my daughter who’s almost 2 have a shot of the drums and flags. I thought it was brilliant as it was we first match and those wee things made her enjoy it more. So much so at full time I said to her ok let’s go to the car she said No haha. I think it’s brilliant that the young kids are getting interested and certainly from a parenting view it helped my daughter enjoy it too.

It's brilliant to see the Stenny yung team at matches. For the last couple of seasons there has seemed to be a real drop off in young supporters at the ground - the death of the free under-16 season ticket was probably a major factor - and I was worried we were struggling to attract them back to Ochilview, so it's smashing to see them come along and get behind the team. There was a brilliant moment in last week's home match with Queen's Park when Jimmy Scott scored and the yung team charged to the other side of the goal to celebrate with the players.
The club, particularly Jamie Swinney, deserve a lot of credit too for their efforts to engage with young fans. We seem to have a better presence on Twitter (although the live minute-by-minute tweets need a heck of a lot of work) and "CEMSFC"'s media work is ever improving (although a more stringent line of questioning rather than "what's your thoughts?" would be welcomed). Long may it continue.

I agree, Jamie Swinney has done wonders. I’ve spoke with him about introducing a live commentary via a podcast starting next season to encourage the community who cannot make games to have access to the game in some degree although I’ll post more on that as I develop it over the summer pending my work situation. If I get the promotion at work I may not have time. So I’ll post more once I know.

16 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I’m pretty sure the death of the free season ticket was shortly after Jamie Swinney left the club originally, hopefully it will return next season. I also feel a major problem was giving them a free season ticket, then once the reached 17 charging them just short of £100 (if memory serves me correctly). I know that’s why a couple of my friends stopped going and all my younger brothers friends stopped going. Can’t go giving freebies forever but a low cost of £30-£40 would hopefully encourage people to go. Got to be better than losing potential long term fans. 

37 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm trying my best. Just don't get a lot of time to think of questions. Normally have Reece(the man behind the twitter) doing the interviews, as he has time to prepare questions. 

22 minutes ago, CEMSFC said:

I'm trying my best. Just don't get a lot of time to think of questions. Normally have Reece(the man behind the twitter) doing the interviews, as he has time to prepare questions. 

I know mate, your work for the club has been ace so far and it's going to get better over 2018/19.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire-SFC said:

I overheard two teenagers in the Queen’s Park end saying “OMG I can’t believe they actually brought a drum, I mean fair play for trying to create a bit of atmosphere, but OMG” and I thought why what’s wrong with it?

Absulutely no place for drums  at QP games in Hampden - they would drown out the rustling of sweetie papers (our traditional display of discontent) for God's sake! Good on them, though I'm surprised that our "Wee Frees" stewards didn't attempt to confiscate them -  "the sort of thing that can cause riots" is the line (seriously!!!!) that's been trotted out on previous occasions.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was when a group of away fans brought blow-up beach balls, and were throwing one around in an isolated (hard to believe I know) section of the west stand during a dull (even harder?) game and when an old fat steward tried to intervene, they played piggy-in-the-middle with him as he tried vainly to get hold of it for a full five minutes before a wayward palm sent it to him. Clearly thrilled he marched triumphantly off hoilding his coveted prize aloft, before 30 seconds later (one of them obviously had good lungs) another one appeared and the game was on again. This continued for most of the game and was a welcome diversion for poor on the field fare, although I suspect my view would have been less tolerant in an an important play-off match.

Nothing wrong with the drums though (I'm far enough away for them not to bother me), or the Norwegian flag-waving for that matter.

Drums are pish. Mon the guitars.

I’ll hold you to that ;) if we don’t go up I expect to see you on the terrace at ochilview with an acoustic...good luck getting it in though if the stewards don’t see it as a resistance to their regime...

I’ll hold you to that [emoji6] if we don’t go up I expect to see you on the terrace at ochilview with an acoustic...good luck getting it in though if the stewards don’t see it as a resistance to their regime...

We already have a guitar at most away games :lol:

I’m all for this kind of thing at league two matches. Anything to add a bit of spice and create a laugh or two. I would like the drummer boys to be a bit more rhythmic though instead of just bashing away . Perhaps a paradiddle or a roll as the goal kick is taken for example.
Also JakeSAFC, I have seen the Binno’s guitar man many times but is he not usually kicked out before the final whistle for being blootered ?

Also JakeSAFC, I have seen the Binno’s guitar man many times but is he not usually kicked out before the final whistle for being blootered ?

Think that only happens at Annan.

Archived