Creating an atmosphere in the league 2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Only 1 club in this league has constantly made an atmosphere in this division since rangers and that’s Clyde.. real passionate fans that should not be anywhere near this tier.. imagine we were actually in a higher league for the 9 years we have wasted here, would be double it is now.. from the first season in this league our crowds have more than halved as well

Maybe your crowd is down because you have a twice convicted rapist playing for you, and your fans are chanting his name week in week out. not something many people outside of the die-hards would like to be part of

I’m all for anything that creates an atmosphere at our stadiums and would support any initiative to get people along and supporting their club.

During my 20’s, I was a regular at Dean Court to watch Bournemouth. One of the things that made me return to Dean Court over going to places like Pompey, Southampton, Brighton or even Havant or Eastleigh was the fact that the supporters got right behind their team, made a noise and enjoyed the day, regardless of the score. I would love to see that atmosphere up here in the lower leagues.

I’m all for anything that creates an atmosphere at our stadiums...

Why not encourage toddlers to come and bang pot lids together?

Noise for the sake of noise does not create atmosphere at grounds.

You're correct though that crowd size does help enhance ground atmosphere but drums don't.

10 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

During my 20’s, I was a regular at Dean Court to watch Bournemouth. One of the things that made me return to Dean Court over going to places like Pompey, Southampton, Brighton or even Havant or Eastleigh was the fact that the supporters got right behind their team, made a noise and enjoyed the day, regardless of the score. I would love to see that atmosphere up here in the lower leagues.

Quite surprised by Pompey being included in that list. I've always known them to have a really good backing?

Clyde, in my view, are one of the most interesting clubs in Scotland. There is perhaps no club that has fallen so far from their potential. From three times Scottish Cup winners to an average gate of 500 odd in the fourth tier. This is way off their history. Many reasons for the decline including squeezed by the dreadful Old Firm, lack of a real home, a barracks at Broadwood and consistently under-performing teams but this history undoubtedly means the remaining die-hard support is pretty passionate and clearly they have the biggest away support, by a margin, in the league, and frankly better than some a division or two higher. If Clyde can get their act together, and I think the signs are perhaps the best they have been for a while, it will be interesting to see if the latent support returns. I think it probably will and frankly if Hamilton can get into the SPL Clyde surely could....

21 minutes ago, You Only Live Twice said:

I'd rather see a generation of new fans intrigued by the resurgence of our club gradually start attending more games, than witness the glory hunters of old crawling back out of the woodwork if and when we manage to progress back towards our level.

Your at your "level". :rolleyes:

Showing Rangers' levels of delusion here.

7 hours ago, support the underdog said:

Clyde, in my view, are one of the most interesting clubs in Scotland. There is perhaps no club that has fallen so far from their potential. From three times Scottish Cup winners to an average gate of 500 odd in the fourth tier. This is way off their history. Many reasons for the decline including squeezed by the dreadful Old Firm, lack of a real home, a barracks at Broadwood and consistently under-performing teams but this history undoubtedly means the remaining die-hard support is pretty passionate and clearly they have the biggest away support, by a margin, in the league, and frankly better than some a division or two higher. If Clyde can get their act together, and I think the signs are perhaps the best they have been for a while, it will be interesting to see if the latent support returns. I think it probably will and frankly if Hamilton can get into the SPL Clyde surely could....

Seriously? Are you on the wind-up or just looking for people to boost your + count?

I agree with 99% of what you are saying, but suggesting that a club without their own stadium and on a precarious financial footing could "surely" get into the SPL puzzles me. If you take Queen Of The South for example, I would argue that they have a larger fan base, own a decent stadium and have a good financial and community basis to progress to the SPL, and yet we have seen that they have struggled to get even near it.

I'm not in any way criticising Clyde here, as they certainly have the background and necessary enthusiasm within their core fan base to generate a rise up the leagues, but with the gap between full time and part time clubs getting wider every year since the money-pot was skewed that way a couple of decades ago, I genuinely believe your confidendence to be misplaced. Happy to be persuaded otherwise if you could elaborate further on your reasoning, but whilst ambition is important I think realism needs to kick in here.

49 minutes ago, You Only Live Twice said:

Had to resist every urge not to bite here but the temptation was simply too great. Let me just give you a wee flavour of our great club’s history;

Won 3x Scottish Cups, occupied the second tier of Scottish football for 10 years between 1999-2009 prior to our financial implosion, narrowly missed out on Premier League promotion on the final game of the season 2003-04, took Rangers to extra time in the League Cup and beat Celtic emphatically in regular time in the Scottish Cup of the 2005-06 season, have the clout to arrange glamour friendlies with Man Utd and attract esteemed managers like Jim Duffy and Danny Lennon, reside in an 8000 capacity stadium..... need I go on?

Remind me what you utter diddies have ever achieved again? Nothing, you complete irrelevance!

So yeah, like I said before, when we manage to progress back towards our level :D

Yesterday.......all our troubles seemed so far away

Had to resist every urge not to bite here but the temptation was simply too great. Let me just give you a wee flavour of our great club’s history;

Won 3x Scottish Cups, occupied the second tier of Scottish football for 10 years between 1999-2009 prior to our financial implosion, narrowly missed out on Premier League promotion on the final game of the season 2003-04, took Rangers to extra time in the League Cup and beat Celtic emphatically in regular time in the Scottish Cup of the 2005-06 season, have the clout to arrange glamour friendlies with Man Utd and attract esteemed managers like Jim Duffy and Danny Lennon, reside in an 8000 capacity stadium..... need I go on?

Remind me what you utter diddies have ever achieved again? Nothing, you complete irrelevance!

So yeah, like I said before, when we manage to progress back towards our level [emoji3]

Those salty tears. You're a diddy outfit, unlucky bud.

1 hour ago, You Only Live Twice said:

So yeah, like I said before, when we manage to progress back towards our level :D

I wasn't fishing, we have a pyramid structure in place so you are able to move up and down.  Therefore what ever level you are playing at IS your level.  

Your level is nothing to do with where your club has been historically and everything to do with how you are playing now.  It looks like your level is the exact same as ours, however painful it is for you to accept.

12 hours ago, You Only Live Twice said:

abd34d563837797029fb0cd21c48dbba.gif

16 hours ago, The Spider said:

Seriously? Are you on the wind-up or just looking for people to boost your + count?

I agree with 99% of what you are saying, but suggesting that a club without their own stadium and on a precarious financial footing could "surely" get into the SPL puzzles me. If you take Queen Of The South for example, I would argue that they have a larger fan base, own a decent stadium and have a good financial and community basis to progress to the SPL, and yet we have seen that they have struggled to get even near it.

I'm not in any way criticising Clyde here, as they certainly have the background and necessary enthusiasm within their core fan base to generate a rise up the leagues, but with the gap between full time and part time clubs getting wider every year since the money-pot was skewed that way a couple of decades ago, I genuinely believe your confidendence to be misplaced. Happy to be persuaded otherwise if you could elaborate further on your reasoning, but whilst ambition is important I think realism needs to kick in here.

Hi The Spider- my mistake- re-reading it it is ambiguous. My point really was if Hamilton, or the likes of Ross (who are they?), can get in the SPL there are many other clubs that could too including Clyde. I don't expect Clyde to get in the SPL any time soon,  although I see now reason why they can't get back to the Championship quite easily, but it is not impossible, in the way it is impossible for the likes of Stenhousemuir. 

I think Clyde are an interesting test case as they have a passionate hard core support, and undoubtedly have 'history.' I think they have suffered big time, as has QP/Thistle etc) from glory hunting Rantic and also Clyde, since leaving Shawfield have been kind of half-hearted in Cumbernauld. It seems now they have settled there which should help and if they can keep the current leadership (chairman and manager) you can progress quickly.

As a wider point you are right about the part time/ full time gap and increasing wealth of the few however the smallest 3/4/5 SPL teams are all replaceable and there are perhaps 15 teams in Scotland who could fill their shoes - Clyde,  are possibly in that list- just. I don't realistically see any other Div 2 side that is and in Div 1  only Ayr and Raith have similar potential? That said the game is changing fast and for a number of clubs league membership is no longer certain. Look at the number of Junior Clubs that want into the pyramid. Next few seasons will be critical for Clyde, as  they will be for your club and other Div 2 sides,  as they have run the gauntlet a bit towards the bottom and a current gate of 500 is far from good. To my mind, and I hope they do it, the next 2-3 seasons are fairly critical, but if Clyde go up there may be a bigger bounce than many think, as the last decade has been so bad for Clyde, that I guess a lot of drifted away. My team, Hibernian, shows that a bit of success and those who had lost interest can be persuaded back. Never in a thousand years would I have thought Hibs average gate could be almost 18k .

Different division, but has anyone heard the East Fife "band"? I saw them at Arbroath earlier this year. They are, charitably, terrible, but they're a good laugh and they make a bit of noise. 

(5:10 - 5:50)

I'm genuinely trying to work out whether you're being serious or light heartedly ripping the piss out of your own joke outfit. Is this the freshly rejected Jim Duffy that even Brechin punted you're talking about? The same Brechin that hasn't yet sacked Darren Dods after 0 league wins this season and is being relegated to a league a whole tier above your increasingly established level?

As for the 8000 seater part, we shouldn't need to highlight that multi Scottish Cup winning Queens Park play at (and all importantly own) a 50,000+ stadium. Of course, you'll learn this rather quickly as you visit your amateur overlords twice next season, no doubt savouring the experience in the deep and crushing knowledge that it'll be your only experience of Hampden at club level.

Anyway, in all seriousness, here's an early toast to next season and any long term ambitions you may have of earning a place in the dizzy heights of our Angus Seaside League.  Enjoy your (week of) summer. 

giphy.gif

Archived