Wasps -vs- Sons - The Final.

I am a big fan of movement between divisions, so a play-off victory by the challengers for promotion is always welcome in my book. That said, going by the match report and attending supporters on here, you've got to feel sorry for the Sons. I hope you lot can sort out things off the pitch and fight for a swift ascent out of what is looking to be a very interesting League 1 next season..

Alloa, enjoy the moment (it's well-deserved) and good luck in 2018/2019! Here's to doing better than last year's play-off winners.....

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations Alloa. By far the better side over the two legs.

If Burt had ran into the corner instead of shooting, the game was done and we win. Aitken got the tactics and subs all wrong. Most of the players did not look interested.

Aitken is gone I think, the way he went down the tunnel at the end. Jamie ewings looked emotional at the end when he came over to the support. 

58 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Congratulations to Alloa, fully deserved. Hope you make a good go at it next year.

So, so poor from us. Hard to believe that was a team fighting for their lives. When Alloa scored there was only one winner, mainly because we'd removed every single attacking player from the pitch. Aitken needs to have a look at himself for that, absolutely shat the bed. If Liam Burt had taken the ball into the corner with a minute left rather than having a shot we would've seen it out.

Absolutely gutted.

that's what lost you the game.

22 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

I am a big fan of movement between divisions, so a play-off victory by the challengers for promotion is always welcome in my book. That said, going by the match report and attending supporters on here, you've got to feel sorry for the Sons. I hope you lot can sort out things off the pitch and fight for a swift ascent out of what is looking to be a very interesting League 1 next season..

Alloa, enjoy the moment (it's well-deserved) and good luck in 2018/2019! Here's to doing better than last year's play-off winners.....

Rovers have an utterly shite time in the playoffs, but I'll argue to the hilt for them. If a club deserves to go or stay up, then it's the perfect opportunity for them to do so.  Keeps the season very interesting. 

Glad its Alloa that beat us; a great club and I wish them all the best.

In hindsight, we were fortunate to get past Arbroath and were reliant then on our centre backs at both ends of the pitch.

If you're going to defend deep then you need to carry some luck. As good as Dowie and Scot Gallacher in particular were, our luck ran out.

Lot to think about in the next few weeks in terms of players and manager.

Firstly congrats to Alloa, hope you go on to represent the part timers well in. The championship.

Secondly, I must be the only guy wondering around Disney world looking suicidal at the moment.

4 minutes ago, albundy said:

Firstly congrats to Alloa, hope you go on to represent the part timers well in. The championship.

Secondly, I must be the only guy wondering around Disney world looking suicidal at the moment.

Epcot can do that to you.

35 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We played the only way we could today.

That's entirely Aitken's fault. This is his Dumbarton team. It's nobody else's fault that we don't have an out and out striker on our books or that we have attacking midfielders who just aren't good enough. It's nobody else's fault that we've only got it right once in the loan market (Sam Wardrop). It's Aitken's poor squad and for that he deserves criticism.

That said, we were 1 minute away from clinging on to a 1-0 aggregate win and another season in the Championship.

We've been brutal to watch all season. I'm not sure why anybody who has watched us play this year expected anything other than another hard slog. We've played the only way we could given the poor squad Aitken assembled. Hold on for another minute and everybody is celebrating staying up. It's not an endorsement of Aitken's performance as manager this season. It's just the harsh reality that our only chance of staying up was keeping it tight and perhaps stealing a goal to put Alloa 2 behind.

Its Aitken's squad but the nature of competing on your budget means you need to gamble a bit on players with mixed fitness records, young loanees, guys looking to reinvent themselves and guys at the wrong end of their careers. He has got more right than wrong generally over the last couple of years.

Maybe not so much this year but his successes were in the defensive half (Dowie, Wardrop, Gallacher to an extent, Barr and Hill). In an attacking sense Handling hasnt been available enough, Stewart wasnt as important as hoped, Nade became a very large shadow of hinself and then made his position untenable and a succession of loan players offered little. 

And he had no help from a scenario where your pitch and the weather conspired to give you a shocker of a fixture pile up which hasnt helped the chances of getting a competitive team on the pitch latterly. Lot of lethargic looking players today, some no doubt nursing injury through to the end of the game. 

Not particularly trying to mount a defence of Aitken, wasnt me having to watch it every week. But I suspect a necessity of keeping things tight at the best of times was compounded by circumstances. Next year would surely have been even more difficult. Perhaps a period down a level will help in terms of entertainment on the pitch at least. Though it wont help the finances.

Had my Mini meltdown already so its only right that I say congratulations to Alloa. Cracking club and deserved the victory today. Hope you do the PT teams proud next season, just keep our spot in the championship warm as we will be back for it next season [emoji39]

Gutsy performance from the Alloa boys , both teams were dead on their feet at the end, but i reckon with dumbarton being more physical and big lads they tired quicker .

Totally gobsmacked , i thought we were not going to have our day in front of goal especially when we went into injury time .

Feel for the sons but we deserved it more  Especially after finishing Second last season and missing out  .  unbelievable scenes  at time up. 

Well done Jim goodwin too ! seems to have learnt quick as a new manager ..

Well done Alloa. I thought Dumbarton would ease through the play offs.

Also, well done to Dumbarton on staying in the championship for so long. Just make sure you don't follow our example.

2 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

Why does neither side seem particularly bothered either way?

I think because next year in Championship pumpings a la brechin will be the order of the day.

Im disappointed but not overly.Barr the cup run this season has been mainly brutal viewing and freally not much fun.

1 minute ago, PELE said:

Well done Alloa. I thought Dumbarton would ease through the play offs.

Also, well done to Dumbarton on staying in the championship for so long. Just make sure you don't follow our example.

TBH i think we will.

Congrats on staying up BTW

Archived