Wasps -vs- Sons - The Final.

11 hours ago, rockson said:

If Kyle Hutton is still out after Saturday's injury I reckon Mango will be in midfield.

11 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

My hunch is that it will be Grant Gallagher.

If Stevie selects either of these options you might as well relegate us on the spot. Mango doesn't have the mobility for central midfield - especially on an Astro, and Grant Gallagher is in the same bracket only slower, less uncompromising in the air and weaker in the tackle. Please Stevie, for the love of God, start David Wilson.

48 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That is the mantra that Aitken lives his life by. I'm surprised he doesn't have posters of it up in the dressing room.

I'm not saying I want us becoming the Globetrotters or anything, but maybe if Stevie played the guys with the flicks and tricks then we might a) Be a bit more entertaining to watch and b) win a few more games thanks to individual brilliance. 

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genuinely never thought I'd say this (and yes, the doctor says I'm fine) but I sincerely hope that Kyle Hutton is fit for these games. I thought he was the best player in the first leg against Arbroath and he was having another dominating performance until he had to go off on Saturday. As much as I think it stifles our attack a wee bit, I'd far rather we had Hutton and Carswell in centre midfield than Craig Barr or Davie Wilson. Wilson isn't the worst player but Hutton is streets ahead of him and Craig Barr needs to be at centre half smashing everything that moves.

And please, for the love of Sir Patrick Flannery, play fucking Froxylias behind the striker.

57 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Genuinely never thought I'd say this (and yes, the doctor says I'm fine) but I sincerely hope that Kyle Hutton is fit for these games. I thought he was the best player in the first leg against Arbroath and he was having another dominating performance until he had to go off on Saturday. As much as I think it stifles our attack a wee bit, I'd far rather we had Hutton and Carswell in centre midfield than Craig Barr or Davie Wilson. Wilson isn't the worst player but Hutton is streets ahead of him and Craig Barr needs to be at centre half smashing everything that moves.

And please, for the love of Sir Patrick Flannery, play fucking Froxylias behind the striker.

I think Stevie has a real dilemma here in terms of how he approaches this tie.  Does he continue with the stifling catenaccio which has got us to within two games of another season in the Championship and risk fury of Craig Levein/Prague proportions if it finally goes tits up, or does he risk standing toe-to-toe with Alloa in the centre of the ring and actually going for it, with the possibility of that backfiring spectacularly ?  My instinct tells me that he will stick with his instinct and what we are about to witness may make truly grim viewing - tomorrow's team sheet should provide a strong clue.

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think Stevie has a real dilemma here in terms of how he approaches this tie.  Does he continue with the stifling catenaccio which has got us to within two games of another season in the Championship and risk fury of Craig Levein/Prague proportions if it finally goes tits up, or does he risk standing toe-to-toe with Alloa in the centre of the ring and actually going for it, with the possibility of that backfiring spectacularly ?  My instinct tells me that he will stick with his instinct and what we are about to witness may make truly grim viewing - tomorrow's team sheet should provide a strong clue.

Assuming worst case scenario injuries wise (Hutton and SeaGal out) then we're definitely lining up like this:

Scott Gallacher

David Smith Andy Dowie Dougie Hill Liam Dick

Stuart Carswell Craig Barr

Andy Stirling Danny Handling Tom Walsh

Kevin Nisbet/Iain Russell

Sub the SeaGal in up top and Hutton in for Hill if they are both fit. 

Stevie's stuck with the same guys and same shape and same tactics all season. There's no chance of him changing it for our biggest game of the season. I suspect given the magnitude of the game he'll stick with Beany up top, just as he did in the final. His subs will also be Kevin Nisbet (61'), Liam Burt (73') and (depending on the score) Grant Gallagher or Mark Stewart (82'). Danny Handling will play the full 90.

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Assuming worst case scenario injuries wise (Hutton and SeaGal out) then we're definitely lining up like this:

Scott Gallacher

David Smith Andy Dowie Dougie Hill Liam Dick

Stuart Carswell Craig Barr

Andy Stirling Danny Handling Tom Walsh

Kevin Nisbet/Iain Russell

Sub the SeaGal in up top and Hutton in for Hill if they are both fit. 

Stevie's stuck with the same guys and same shape and same tactics all season. There's no chance of him changing it for our biggest game of the season. I suspect given the magnitude of the game he'll stick with Beany up top, just as he did in the final. His subs will also be Kevin Nisbet (61'), Liam Burt (73') and (depending on the score) Grant Gallagher or Mark Stewart (82'). Danny Handling will play the full 90.

Normally I'd agree but this time I don't think we'll see the same team put out (where possible). Aitken commented on some the of players looking tired towards the end of Saturday, so it would be complete madness for him to field much the same team for the 3rd time in 7 days. We have players on the bench who must be bursting to play. Use them.

13 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't advocating Grant Gallagher's inclusion. I was just trying to decode Stevie's post match comments about it " not being the time for wee flicks and fancy football" or words to that effect, which would seem to rule out Froxylias  and David Wilson. I would be very tempted to surprise Alloa and play Wilson (not Aidan!) alongside one of Hutton/Carswell, with Froxylias in place of Handling.

And I always though the key was to find the right blend, so you can attack and defend. 

Dougie Hill was actually really good for Alloa in the 6 months or so he had under Jack Ross. That's a recurring them with Jack of  course, but Dougie Hill and Jason Marr did very well in that spell and that was the CB partnership which helped Alloa draw 1-1 with Rangers home and away and defeat Hibs 1-0.  That isn't too bad ;). He was a little unlucky at other times, he had the unfortunate knack of signing for Alloa when we were coming off good spells and heading into bad ones. You could argue that he was a part of that but I think timing was the main issue. Of course I hope he is horrific if he plays against us over the next few days.

Looking forward to the two matches. There is the danger of tired legs after two big games at the end of the league season followed by the matches with Raith but clearly the plan  was that momentum would override the tiredness. It certainly worked against Raith. Hetherington is a loss but Robbo did very well indeed against Raith. If we can bring a similar performance here to the level we had at home against Ayr and Raith then we'll have a good chance. 'Mon the Wasps.

5 hours ago, Waspie said:

Looking forward to the two matches. There is the danger of tired legs after two big games at the end of the league season followed by the matches with Raith but clearly the plan  was that momentum would override the tiredness. It certainly worked against Raith. Hetherington is a loss but Robbo did very well indeed against Raith. If we can bring a similar performance here to the level we had at home against Ayr and Raith then we'll have a good chance. 'Mon the Wasps.

I think Sons will know how that feels, more than any other team. We played a quarter of our league games, pretty much in the space of a month, 27 March to 28 April!

Callum Smith has liked and retweeted the preview animation. There's been a trend of him starting when he's done it so wouldn't surprise me now to see him start. 

Although same team would make me very happy.

Parry

Crane Graham McCart Taggs

Fleming Robertson

Cawley Kirkpatrick Flannigan

Stewart

Kirkpatrick to drop deep when Smith comes on at 60 minutes, Renton on for Flannigan 80 minutes and when we are 4-0 up and cruising get Daryll on at the end for the token timewasting sub.

Oh F*** here we go again ...stand by.......... ,batten down the hatches , :bairn

We had to deal with fans complaining about our prices this season, so I know exactly how you feel.

But that’s scandalous and I’m seething. You guys the only club in the country who don’t do a student gate? Makes me seething that some Gammon Brexiteer* will be able to swan in for £8, whilst I have to pay double.

*I am aware that not all pensioners are racist, little Englander Brexit types. For the purpose of this rant though I’m tarring you all with the same brush - feel free to comment on my takeaway coffees and Avocado toast.

Team News: Craig Barr returns to the squad having missed out due to suspension last Saturday's 1-1 draw with Abroath. Calum Gallagher is still nursing a leg knock from the play-off semi-final first leg but will travel tonight. Dimitris Froxylias is a doubt having picked up a sickness bug over the weekend but Chris McLaughlin is definitely out.

The good news appears to be that Kyle Hutton is available and I'm reading from that, Calum Gallagher will be okay.  Froxylias is a strange one - posted a picture of himself in a Jacuzzi yesterday (now deleted) and apparently he's been sick all weekend. I reckon we may have seen the last of him (which is a fucking crying shame).  It largely means we'll be unchanged unless Gallagher or Stewart take the place of Russell. I'd be starting Stewart:

Scott Gallacher

David Smith -- Andy Dowie -- Craig Barr -- Liam Dick

Kyle Hutton -- Stuart Carswell

Andy Stirling -- Danny Handling -- Tom Walsh

Mark Stewart

I don't have a great feeling about tonight. Would bite your hand off for any kind of draw.

EDIT - In fact, if Calum Gallagher is fit to start then play him behind Stewart instead of Handling.

Archived