Wasps -vs- Sons - The Final.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to Alloa, fully deserved. Hope you make a good go at it next year.

So, so poor from us. Hard to believe that was a team fighting for their lives. When Alloa scored there was only one winner, mainly because we'd removed every single attacking player from the pitch. Aitken needs to have a look at himself for that, absolutely shat the bed. If Liam Burt had taken the ball into the corner with a minute left rather than having a shot we would've seen it out.

Absolutely gutted.

Firstly , congratulations to Alloa on a totally deserved win - only one team had that intent and the sight of my club descending to anti-football with a corner with six minutes left was an utter embarrassment.
We however have much bigger battles to confront off the park in the coming weeks.

Out in garden sunshine I went in at 4.50 to see the Sports results on BBC and it showed Dumbarton winning 1-0 ( looked like the Yellow FT score) so I have been unaware that the Wasps won it in extra time. Well done to Alloa and at least I have a trip to a different ground next season and was delighted that Peterhead missed out so that its just the Angus League plus for thrills and spills. It is strange of course that teams who were so far ahead in 2nd place in L1 and L2 are still there-that's the fun of the play offs and it was at least not penalties. If Alloa strengthen a little  then I think they could provide a more competitive challenge than Brechin did.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Congratulations to Alloa, fully deserved. Hope you make a good go at it next year.

So, so poor from us. Hard to believe that was a team fighting for their lives. When Alloa scored there was only one winner, mainly because we'd removed every single attacking player from the pitch. 

Turned to my son on the couch watching at home and said pretty much exactly that when he put Grant Gallagher on as 3rd sub. "If Alloa score here Dumbarton have nothing left to attack them with in extra time."

I dont like two legged matches generally. I wouldnt be too harsh on Aitken in trying to hold what they had but its a difficult one. With Alloa as on top as they were late on do you try to bolster the defence or hold a sub in case they do get one and you need to gamble with Froxylias (or Russell)? He went with former but got caught by a deflection after 90 mins of terrific defending from Dowie, Hill and Gallacher in particular.

Anyway, based on the last 15 mins in midweek and the whole game today the better team won. I look forward to returning to Alloa again. Always a welcoming friendly club. Gutted for Dumbarton, also plenty of great people there but especially for Dowser who wad immense today and still lost. Come back soon #Sonhamers :(

Dumbarton's tactics were absolutely brutal to watch but they were less than two minutes away from back-to-back clean sheets and safety. Seems a bit harsh to say Aitken is suddenly a total dud because of a deflected 93rd minute equaliser.

Was a very strange game to watch. I know neither side has a large support and the ground is poor for atmosphere but didn't seem like a play-off tie at all. More a meaningless end of season affair.

That being said, Alloa thoroughly deserve promotion, so congrats to them. Anything better than 10th for them next season would an excellent effort.

In the end the full time whistle was a relief more than anything else. The better team prevailed and Aitken's vile brand of anti-football was rightly scuttled out down to the lower leagues.

That team needs gutted in the summer. 

Well done alloa. Good footballing team. Think they might surprise a few teams if they get good recruitment. 

Gutted for our old boss Aitken. Done brilliantly at dumbarton. Not sure if he will stay on. 

Well done Alloa. Absolutely gutted, but there is no way Alloa deserved to lose 2 years in a row despite being the far better team.

Don’t really want to think about Dumbarton right now. Aitken needs to give fans answers on where we go next or he needs to leave.

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Turned to my son on the couch watching at home and said pretty much exactly that when he put Grant Gallagher on as 3rd sub. "If Alloa score here Dumbarton have nothing left to attack them with in extra time."

I dont like two legged matches generally. I wouldnt be too harsh on Aitken in trying to hold what they had but its a difficult one. With Alloa as on top as they were late on do you try to bolster the defence or hold a sub in case they do get one and you need to gamble with Froxylias (or Russell)? He went with former but got caught by a deflection after 90 mins of terrific defending from Dowie, Hill and Gallacher in particular.

Anyway, based on the last 15 mins in midweek and the whole game today the better team won. I look forward to returning to Alloa again. Always a welcoming friendly club. Gutted for Dumbarton, also plenty of great people there but especially for Dowser who wad immense today and still lost. Come back soon #Sonhamers :(

9 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Dumbarton's tactics were absolutely brutal to watch but they were less than two minutes away from back-to-back clean sheets and safety. Seems a bit harsh to say Aitken is suddenly a total dud because of a deflected 93rd minute equaliser.

Was a very strange game to watch. I know neither side has a large support and the ground is poor for atmosphere but didn't seem like a play-off tie at all. More a meaningless end of season affair.

That being said, Alloa thoroughly deserve promotion, so congrats to them. Anything better than 10th for them next season would an excellent effort.

I'm not sure it is harsh on Aitken and I don't think he's a dud but he has to take responsibility for that today. We have a match winner and full Internationalist in Froxylias and he's spent the last 8 weeks picking skelfs out his arse. He's away with Cyprus tomorrow and we won't see him again. Quality was what was needed today and we shat our pants. Aitken is responsible whichever way you look at it, his squad building is very poor and he paid the price this season.

We played the only way we could today.

That's entirely Aitken's fault. This is his Dumbarton team. It's nobody else's fault that we don't have an out and out striker on our books or that we have attacking midfielders who just aren't good enough. It's nobody else's fault that we've only got it right once in the loan market (Sam Wardrop). It's Aitken's poor squad and for that he deserves criticism.

That said, we were 1 minute away from clinging on to a 1-0 aggregate win and another season in the Championship.

We've been brutal to watch all season. I'm not sure why anybody who has watched us play this year expected anything other than another hard slog. We've played the only way we could given the poor squad Aitken assembled. Hold on for another minute and everybody is celebrating staying up. It's not an endorsement of Aitken's performance as manager this season. It's just the harsh reality that our only chance of staying up was keeping it tight and perhaps stealing a goal to put Alloa 2 behind.

It didnt happen. When your attacking options include Kevin Nisbet as your great white hope? You're in trouble.

4 points mare then u will ever get in the Championship ya Bar 10 w****r 

Bar 10 !! How very dare you !!

You seem upset..

Enjoy the new "worst ever season" title [emoji23] [emoji23]

Archived