Wasps -vs- Sons - The Final.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Genuinely thought Ross Stewart was the only player who looked like he was capable of causing us issues. Exactly the type of player we've been crying out for this year - tall, strong and a decent turn of pace. I wouldn't give him too much stick about not winning much in the air though, Dowie and Barr have won just about everything in the air this season for us.

I just thought he tried his hardest to hide in the game rather than grab it by the balls, he had one flash of decency when he took on a few players but other than that I thought he was very frustrating. Always going deep and just hanging around in the middle of the park. I might have been asking too much of him but I left frustrated since the Alloa wide men were putting in great balls that were getting picked off by your guys so easily, and the only time he really went for one he took out his own player!

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Genuinely thought Ross Stewart was the only player who looked like he was capable of causing us issues. Exactly the type of player we've been crying out for this year - tall, strong and a decent turn of pace. I wouldn't give him too much stick about not winning much in the air though, Dowie and Barr have won just about everything in the air this season for us.

100% this. Said to someone yesterday that we could do a lot worse than to get him on loan next season. If we manage to stay up and with St Mirren going up I'd hope we would have a chance.

5 minutes ago, stevarino said:

I just thought he tried his hardest to hide in the game rather than grab it by the balls, he had one flash of decency when he took on a few players but other than that I thought he was very frustrating. Always going deep and just hanging around in the middle of the park. I might have been asking too much of him but I left frustrated since the Alloa wide men were putting in great balls that were getting picked off by your guys so easily, and the only time he really went for one he took out his own player!

He was frustrated that he wasn't seeing the ball in the second half as we had rightfully crowded him out. He started dropping deep to get on the ball, I don't think that's hiding. Probably not playing to his strengths either but I haven't seen enough of him. I thought he had a decent game all things considered though.

14 minutes ago, stevarino said:

He dropped deep to link up play and you can't say he was bad just because our (very experienced) centre backs played very well. In fact our whole defence was very good on the night.

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

John Beaton is the referee for this one. At least it's not Charleston, Cook, Dallas...

& especially not Collum.

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I never said it was a cruise

Would say you’ve just said exactly what I said initially. They’re used to sitting in and letting teams have the ball, better teams than ourselves or you guys. So when they get into a lead against us they’re hard to score against. Now they have the lead I’d expect them to go see this one out too.

Also some pretty handy players on the counter if you do decide to go all out to try and get a goal back. Stirling and Gallagher in particular.

It was more of a general observation on a number of posts to be honest. 

As for Ross Stewart, Goodwin pulled him back into a deeper role after Kirkpatrick went off with Smith going in upfront. He can be effective deeper but at his best up top. Unlikely to be playing at St Mirren next season and would be worth a shot with a Championship club.

Fairly quiet in here for what is a big day for both clubs. Our match preview suggests Handling is okay so I expect him to start. As much as Nisbet was okay on Wednesday, I hope Calum Gallagher is fit to start. He's got a great scoring record against lower league sides and if we can steal a goal it will be huge. 

I'm shitting my pants, I'm not gonna lie. 

I’d rather start Mark Stewart, nisbet was excellent on Wednesday, and probably deserves to start, and I’d love him to get his first goat for us, but Stewart was a superb out ball, but for a few better placed balls up front, we could have nicked a second

39 minutes ago, optimistic said:

I’d rather start Mark Stewart, nisbet was excellent on Wednesday, and probably deserves to start, and I’d love him to get his first goat for us, but Stewart was a superb out ball, but for a few better placed balls up front, we could have nicked a second

I've just given up on Stewart being useful now. He's not being used for some reason or another so isn't fit to play any meaningful role.

I've just given up on Stewart being useful now. He's not being used for some reason or another so isn't fit to play any meaningful role.
I heard from an out of town source that he has been working nights for a while and training has been difficult for him. I get the impression he's a guy who loves to play but the Championship demands a level of fitness. Just as part-time football demands another income.
I wouldn't give up on him, but like yourself Moonster I often take things purely at face value, and perhaps we're too quick to reach conclusions.
The source is generally reliable BTW.

1 hour ago, microdave said:

I'm nervous too. One thing I want to avoid tomorrow is penalties. I know the Alloa fans went through that last year. It must be excruciatingly nervy!

Penalties, oh Christ no, please.

Memories of Forfar away in the League Cup. East Fife away too. :blink:

Nisbet hitting Overtoun House with his effort earlier this year.

*shudder*

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Fairly quiet in here for what is a big day for both clubs. Our match preview suggests Handling is okay so I expect him to start. As much as Nisbet was okay on Wednesday, I hope Calum Gallagher is fit to start. He's got a great scoring record against lower league sides and if we can steal a goal it will be huge. 

After Wednesday's decent enough showing I've only been skidmarking.

Come on The Sons

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I heard from an out of town source that he has been working nights for a while and training has been difficult for him. I get the impression he's a guy who loves to play but the Championship demands a level of fitness. Just as part-time football demands another income.
I wouldn't give up on him, but like yourself Moonster I often take things purely at face value, and perhaps we're too quick to reach conclusions.
The source is generally reliable BTW.

I was under the impression that since leaving the Rovers, Stewart was working as a salesman / agent for a sportswear company. 

I'd be surprised if that involved frequent late night work. 

I always liked him due to his work rate (and an absolutely sublime goal against the Pars) but he often lacked a wee bit of composure. However, when he played against the Rovers last November, he seemed to be making better decisions and had a better touch (more than likely due to being coached properly). 

13 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Spot on Moonster..feeling the same.Feel irritable,nervous, short tempered and sleepless nights (if i were a woman i'd be blaming time of the month or menopause).Think im taking this football lark way too seriously.But anyways MON THE SONS!!!

I notice the stadium has had yet another name change. Last time I looked in was Your FM something or other. Now C&G Systems Stadium?! You guys not sick to the back teeth of this? How many name changes you had now...and what's the timeline on them?

20 minutes ago, Wasperoonie said:

I notice the stadium has had yet another name change. Last time I looked in was Your FM something or other. Now C&G Systems Stadium?! You guys not sick to the back teeth of this? How many name changes you had now...and what's the timeline on them?

Yes we're sick to the back teeth of local companies giving us money for an entirely futile thing.

I suppose we can only dream of our ground being called the Indodrill Stadium...

Not really, the name has changed again as the company sponsoring the stadium has gone tits up and we cut the deal short by a year as they weren't paying us. This current deal is set to run for 3 years.

It's money being given to us for something that doesn't matter. It's a newish stadium which has been named by sponsors since it opened, it's hardly steeped in tradition and 99% of folk refer to it as The Rock anyway.

Archived