Wasps -vs- Sons - The Final.

10 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

Delighted to get the win albeit by means of decidedly grim tactics.

Coupled of key moments in the match:

- The goal, which was magnificent.

- Kirkpatrick going off injured, removing Alloa’ s primary means of unlocking  our defence.

- Mango’s tackle, from which he swaggered away like Conor McGregor. 

Shout out to our central defenders who demonstrated that they are Championship level  They were just generally excellent. 

Good performance from Carswell and the much-maligned Nisbet. It was good to see a striker playing as a striker and I think he’s worth a start on Sunday. Burt offered more than Handling and should start on Sunday.

I’m anticipating a fast start in the 2nd leg. Whoever scores next will be in the Championship next season I reckon. And it could go either way.

Agree with most of this, but i didnt think Kirkpatrick was upto much apart from a single shot last night before he went off. He ran into Craig Barr a couple of times which might be what injured him, but otherwise he didn't do much.

Also I thought Handling was having a good match last night and felt bad for him having to go off.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, printer said:

The game was anything bit dull.

Aye dull is probably not the best word. It held the interest but I think there wasn't a massive amount to write home about in terms of happenings to break Dumbarton down. They set up with 6 in the back line at times and for long periods looked comfortable.

I wonder how long the highlights would be if I had filmed it. I think it would only be 6/7 minutes and I'm pretty generous when it comes to including chances.

Just now, squeezeboxson said:

Think I was one of the only ones who wasn't overly worried about Alloa as such. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting us to run over them. Equally, I didn't expect them to steamroller us. I expected a tough and close match and yeah, I was nervous in the lead up to the match. But once we got in front we looked very comfortable.

As for the part in bold, this is also something I have been saying all season. It was highlighted most of all when we beat Raith way back in the cup. It was our most comfortable looking  victory of the season in my opinion even though at the time Raith were flying in the league.

Just hope we can get our noses in front in the 2nd leg and take it from there!

To be fair, we had a weakened team that day, and we were absolutely not flying at that point.

Still think Dumbarton would beat us comfortably though.

I wonder how long the highlights would be if I had filmed it. I think it would only be 6/7 minutes and I'm pretty generous when it comes to including chances.

There weren't many clear cut chances, but that wasn't for want of effort or down to how we played. I thought the game had good pace to it and we passed the ball about well.

Even the quality of our crossing was decent enough; often, however, Stewart wasn't in the box for crosses coming in because he was playing deeper. It was noticable that Renton caused Dowie and Barr more problems on said crosses when he came on.

As I've said already, I thought Robbo and Flanny were two of our better players on the night, and I think that was because we were against a step up in quality, so their footballing ability came to the fore. I also thought McCart had a very good game. In fact I didn't think we had any failures.

Sunday will no doubt be another competitive game. If we can nick the first goal then we have a decent chance, but it will be tough.

Just watching the iPlayer coverage back. I thought at the time that Scott Gallacher might've got a touch on Kirkpatrick's lovely early effort, and it turns out he did.

That is an absolutely outstanding save. He had no right to be near that.

10 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Who is out? Mango served a ban on Saturday for his red v Dunfermline.

Anyway, that was pretty trademark stuff from us. Brutal to watch, but very well organised defensively and a nightmare to break down. It was very similar to the Arbroath game in that Alloa had plenty of the ball, but only really threatened on a handful of occasions.

I am to Stuart Carswell what an element of our support are to Garry Fleming. I just love the guy :lol:

Craig Barr I believ 

1 minute ago, Not a Bee said:

Craig Barr I believ 

You are correct, had to watch back the post-match to find out.

Blow for us as (as you probably saw yesterday!) he's been excellent for us, but I've every confidence in big Dill to come in and do a job again.

A game in which we started well but fell behind to an outstanding strike. After that, I thought that Dumbarton defended really well and on those few occasions where we did look like manufacturing a chance either our final ball /finishing wasn't quite good enough or Gallacher did superbly well.

With Kirkpatrick going off and Fleming not really being able to manage 90 minutes our midfield got progressively weaker as the game went on, which very much played into Dumbarton's hands.

Going into Sunday's game both teams will feel that they can win it, and if we can get an early goal it should make things interesting.

Alloa fans unhappy that Dumbarton set up to shitfest after taking an early lead, and Dumbarton fans unhappy about bias on our twitter feed all seems a bit pathetic.

2 hours ago, printer said:

Yep, I don't have a problem with Dumbarton's tactics. Getting the early goal encouraged them to keep doing that.

With Kirky going off we lost some of our goal threat, but I thought we played well overall - Flanny and Robbo were class - and probably should have got a draw. Dowie and Barr were rock solid for Dumbarton who looked a cut above Raith Rovers.

Ref was spot on as well.

Spot on,we were every bit as good as we have been recently but didn,t get the result tonight.The early Sons goal allowed them to impose their game plan on us and they did that superbly.We kept possession all night and the composure we showed on the ball was great to see.Its all very well wanting the ball in the box but the Dumbarton defenders never lost a challenge tonight.It will take a big effort from a squad thats now down to the bare bones but its still on.

Just watching the iPlayer coverage back. I thought at the time that Scott Gallacher might've got a touch on Kirkpatrick's lovely early effort, and it turns out he did.

Maybe that's why the ref gave a corner. [emoji6]

Agree though. Top save. Good goalie.

Nothing wrong with any team defending a lead. It may have looked dull on tv, but certainly not at the game. Couldn’t fault any of our players tonight, especially gallacher, dowie, mango, dick, hutton, carswell, nisbet, and Stewart looked lively when he came on, and probably shouldn’t have been booked.

Surprised mango suspended after missing the Arbroath game. Hill definitely can fill the void, another shitfest will do, with hopefully another win.

12 minutes ago, printer said:

Maybe that's why the ref gave a corner. emoji6.png

Agree though. Top save. Good goalie.

Ref gave a corner because Dowie cleared it ;) The ball bounced straight out into the penalty area.

8 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Is Mango’s second suspension a punishment for a failed appeal?

03/05/2018 32116 - CRAIG BARR (DUMBARTON F.C.) 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM LEAGUE MATCH IMMEDIATE AND 1
 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM LEAGUE MATCH FROM 12/05/2018

Accumulation of yellows I think.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/3576/los43-4-may-2018.pdf

Just be thankful that wasps1 doesn't do the social media stuff at Alloa.

Daft to be having a go at Dumbarton's tactics, they were spot on. Nothing to lose for us on Sunday and hopefully we can create a bit more and go out with a bang.

8 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

03/05/2018 32116 - CRAIG BARR (DUMBARTON F.C.) 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM LEAGUE MATCH IMMEDIATE AND 1

And this is hardly surprising. Seems barely a game goes by without Mango attracting a yellow. Nature of the role i guess.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I thought Gallacher and Dick both had great games last night. Scott Gallacher, aside from a couple of dodgy kicks, looked very assured and commanded his area well. The stop from the one on one with Smith late in the second half was every bit as good as the save from Kirkpatrick - could be absolutely huge when everything is said and done. Dick pretty much confirming he's a good League 1 defender over these last few games as well.

6 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I just don't understand how an accumulation of yellows didn't have him suspended for last nights game?  The system is strange.

Trying to watch the game back but that utterly relentless, brain shattering squeel of "shite" every time one of the Alloa players shoots, crosses, takes a corner, takes a freekick or takes a goal kick is unbearable. Someone needs to have a word. I have no idea how anyone can spend an entire match sat next to that.

47 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

And this is hardly surprising. Seems barely a game goes by without Mango attracting a yellow. Nature of the role i guess.

Not the most booked player in our squad this season though. He's one behind Kyle Hutton's tally of 13.

25 bookings and three red cards between them this season :lol:

Archived