Kelty Hearts lowland league quest

29 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Looks that way on paper but when only 180 minutes are involved rather than a full 30+ game season you can easily have that one game where something unusually good or lucky happens and park the bus after that.

Brechin GD -33,  parking the bus isn’t exactly a strength of theirs.

6 minutes ago, AlansHotBath said:

Didn't think Kelty played too well tonight, but can still take the lead up to Angus tbf. Brechin definitely not out of it yet, especially since they can play in front of their own fans in the second leg.

100%. We were not great tonight and all to play for.

It will be the time to grind out the result. If Brechin take risks and they'll be vulnerable to the counter attack. Keep a steady nerve and there'll be newcomers in the SPFL2 and Highland League next season.

Fingers crossed!

Silly goal to lose from Kelty, just not marking up at a corner gave the boy a free scuff at goal which someone else turned in. Up until that point felt it could and would have been more than the 1-0. Brechin then got a bit of belief from the goal and it was a scrappy second half of the 1st half bar the goal for Russell.

Thought Tidser and Reilly could have been 10-15 yards further forward in second half. Both seemed quite deep. Jamieson made a great close range save from what I could see in South Enclosure. Brechin keeper also made great save from Higgy at start of 2nd half.

Tight game, Brechin certainly had a bit energy about them, seems a few young lads in that side.

9 minutes ago, crowie said:

Silly goal to lose from Kelty, just not marking up at a corner gave the boy a free scuff at goal which someone else turned in. Up until that point felt it could and would have been more than the 1-0. Brechin then got a bit of belief from the goal and it was a scrappy second half of the 1st half bar the goal for Russell.

Thought Tidser and Reilly could have been 10-15 yards further forward in second half. Both seemed quite deep. Jamieson made a great close range save from what I could see in South Enclosure. Brechin keeper also made great save from Higgy at start of 2nd half.

Tight game, Brechin certainly had a bit energy about them, seems a few young lads in that side.

We were definitely too deep in the middle of the park. Tids often gets a bit further up but I thought he was poor last night versus the usual excellent shift he puts in.

I thought we were ok and kept the ball reasonably well but definitely lacked a bit of quality in the final third, I thought we could have pushed Brechin more in the last half an hour as it looked like they had dropped a yard or so and were tiring, but I  suppose you can be in two minds at that point on if you should make sure you take a lead up to Brechin or go for it at home to get a third and maybe leave yourself open.

For the neutral it's a good result for sunday with the game on a knife edge. 

From the stats I seen last night there was zero offsides, is that not unusual for a game of football at this level? I was right behind the lino at the south end and the brechin players were complaining to him about offsides but he called them all correctly from what I seen(and  hewas happy to tell the Brechin defenders who was playing the kelty man on). Their line at times was pretty poor, kelty couldn't seem to take advantage of it. NA seems to like to get a run on the defender from deep in a foot race so starts deeper rather on the shoulder(worked well in the past tbf)

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

1 hour ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

I thought we were ok and kept the ball reasonably well but definitely lacked a bit of quality in the final third, I thought we could have pushed Brechin more in the last half an hour as it looked like they had dropped a yard or so and were tiring, but I  suppose you can be in two minds at that point on if you should make sure you take a lead up to Brechin or go for it at home to get a third and maybe leave yourself open.

For the neutral it's a good result for sunday with the game on a knife edge. 

From the stats I seen last night there was zero offsides, is that not unusual for a game of football at this level? I was right behind the lino at the south end and the brechin players were complaining to him about offsides but he called them all correctly from what I seen(and  hewas happy to tell the Brechin defenders who was playing the kelty man on). Their line at times was pretty poor, kelty couldn't seem to take advantage of it. NA seems to like to get a run on the defender from deep in a foot race so starts deeper rather on the shoulder(worked well in the past tbf)

There's no doubt that Kelty were the better side especially in the first half. I agree that they could have been better in the last third, but still created a fair few chances. Brechin improved in the second half but they did tire in the last 15 or 20 minutes. I still think that Kelty will prevail if they can take their chances. Chuffed that Ross Philps got the man of the match award.