Kelty Hearts lowland league quest

As a season ticket holder, advertising board investor, hospitality regular and 2x, yes 2x, raffle winner.... All I can say is Kelty are robbing b*****ds who led to my first divorce and possibly my second.....

But I'd do it a third time just see us at the dance! Mon the Kelty! 
Great to read something like this hope you can reach your dream . but mind its only a game . Family matter more

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Lots of opinions about the reasons for players signing for Kelty, most of it surrounding money. The fact is that only the players, and perhaps some close family members, know all of the reasons for signing for the club that they choose to join. Money is obviously one of the main reasons, but not the only one in most cases. People change jobs for many reasons and footballers are no different.

Edited by Forbes55
Bad grammar

As a season ticket holder, advertising board investor, hospitality regular and 2x, yes 2x, raffle winner.... All I can say is Kelty are robbing b*****ds who led to my first divorce and possibly my second.....

2 x raffle winner? Another bloody millionaire in the Kelty ranks!

48 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
10 hours ago, TheSaltire said:

2 x raffle winner? Another bloody millionaire in the Kelty ranks!

But did you keep your winnings or donate it back to the club to help pay the wages of the next signing?

C’mon The Rose 

Imo players are looking after their long term interests , securing be it apprenticeships , full time jobs etc , the guys kelty have signed haven’t made it at the top grade and have to think about when the football money dries up , so only doing what any working man would do and getting best thing on offer for themselves and family whatever the level they are playing at 

14 hours ago, KH FC said:

Some good points here. Its often the case that people who can tell you what's happening typically wont unless theres an obligation to do so or a clear advantage to be gained. That goes for "behind the scenes" in business, sport and politics. Transparency is great, but I can understand why people would want to keep their cards close to their chest, and if someone is putting money in chances are they're not the kind of people who'd be inclined to have their picture taken at half time handing over a giant novelty cheque. I cant think of many players whod admit they moved for the money, and fewer still managers/club officials whod say someone's here because they've got the deepest pockets. It's not the done thing, it's part of how business is conducted and I'm not sure if after thinking about it anyone would be genuinely surprised that's not what's happening. 

Also, the club can still be washing its face through "commercial sponsorship" and supporters can still be putting money in, the two arent necessarily mutually exclusive. 

Oh yeah, I wouldn't excpet any of the players to come and just say "money" when they're asked why they've come to Kelty. In exactly the same way you don't walk into an interview and when they ask you why you were interested in the position, just rub your fingers together. There's an understanding though that you are only there because the salary is right and if you're interviewing at three companies and one offers a lot more money than the other two, 80-90% of the time all else being equal, candidates will choose that one.

It's more than fans on here I'm talking about. See the ridiculous attempts to say that the new signings were funded by selling of a couple of squad players off the the EoS etc.

We all know Kelty are being significantly supported financially in some form or another, you all know it, we all know you all know it but some fans seem determined to pretend that's not the case.

42 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Oh yeah, I wouldn't excpet any of the players to come and just say "money" when they're asked why they've come to Kelty. In exactly the same way you don't walk into an interview and when they ask you why you were interested in the position, just rub your fingers together. There's an understanding though that you are only there because the salary is right and if you're interviewing at three companies and one offers a lot more money than the other two, 80-90% of the time all else being equal, candidates will choose that one.

It's more than fans on here I'm talking about. See the ridiculous attempts to say that the new signings were funded by selling of a couple of squad players off the the EoS etc.

We all know Kelty are being significantly supported financially in some form or another, you all know it, we all know you all know it but some fans seem determined to pretend that's not the case.

Good, balanced and fair post. I think we do get a bit too defensive at times but that comes from feeling that although we know we are being backed financially some folk still throw the Gretna, Bathgate type doom scenarios in. No doubt we have a backer, but we are also building a structure behind that too and have invested in the ground.

Plus we love a good argument! 🤑

48 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

i don't think anyone has been trying to say that Tidser in and Dodd and Jardine out comes out as no impact on the books. What I have read is people pointing out that while a signing has come in, others have left at the same time.

Will the net effect be more money spent each week? Possibly/probably.

The overwhelming theme in this thread when Kelty sign someone is the moneybags/Gretna etc. However the squad size has pretty much stayed about the same since the start of the season. Is the wage bill more? Again, probably/possibly, but Kelty aren't just stockpiling players willynilly. They are keeping the numbers about the same staff wise, they just probably cost a bit more than the ones who were there at the start of the season.

6 minutes ago, crowie said:

i don't think anyone has been trying to say that Tidser in and Dodd and Jardine out comes out as no impact on the books. What I have read is people pointing out that while a signing has come in, others have left at the same time.

The overwhelming theme in this thread when Kelty sign someone is the moneybags/Gretna etc. However the squad size has pretty much stayed about the same since the start of the season. Is the wage bill more? Again, probably/possibly, but Kelty aren't just stockpiling players willynilly. They are keeping the numbers about the same staff wise, they just probably cost a bit more than the ones who were there at the start of the season.

More referring to the start of the season.

Let's be honest, they cost a lot more.

Edited by Gordon EF

16 minutes ago, crowie said:

Good post. Look forward to reading again when you release a fringe player and sign Messi in the summer. 

24 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Good post. Look forward to reading again when you release a fringe player and sign Messi in the summer. 

One in one out though.

I haven't seen the contracts so all we can say about a potential budget increase is... possibly.

11 hours ago, bravehearts dad said:

But did you keep your winnings or donate it back to the club to help pay the wages of the next signing?

C’mon The Rose 

Aye well they've got this thing where the give you money when you're already half pished and start putting it behind the bar again... I'm sure I paid for the new state of the art Corner flags one night... 

7 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Don't think Kelty fans are denying that they have a backer. They have though been trying to explain that the club raises good sums of money over and above what the backer may be contributing, to the extent that the club would survive if and/or when they don't have a backer. 

If "all else being equal" 80-90% would choose the best paid offer, does that mean it's not all about the money if 1or 2 people turn down the best paid job?

Mental stuff to say that sponsorship and a bar are paying for these boys.

Hard working club with a heavy investor, as long as they protect themselves i.e. one year contracts should the investor stop they can budget accordingly.

Not sure any amount of infrastructure incoming will make Kelty self sufficient at the level they must be spending.

That said, don’t blame them and you can’t take it with you so good luck.

Also Tidser, Hubby et al dropping down is a no brainer - not made fortunes from the game and setting themselves up for future - hats off.

Not so sure about Austin, he did Amateur for way longer than he should and get the vibe he likes scoring hat-tricks - maybe he found his ceiling and this is easier - no skin off my nose like just a thought.

23 minutes ago, HoustonRover said:

Mental stuff to say that sponsorship and a bar are paying for these boys.

Hard working club with a heavy investor, as long as they protect themselves i.e. one year contracts should the investor stop they can budget accordingly.

Not sure any amount of infrastructure incoming will make Kelty self sufficient at the level they must be spending.

That said, don’t blame them and you can’t take it with you so good luck.

It's positive that the discussion's becoming a bit more nuanced than 'Kelty are on the road to ruin" versus "the social club covers everything". 

It's my honest belief that Kelty would be able to reach the SPFL without additional funding, and they'd be able to maintain and consolidate their place. It's clear though that it would take a lot longer than it would do if that funding wasnt there. Given how much the Lowland League is likely to change over the next decade, with potentially SPFL clubs coming down and definitely strong former junior sides coming up, its sensible to mount a serious attempt to get out of the League at the earliest opportunity and if that means spending extra money in the short term I'm in favour of it. That window will narrow season by season. 

I wouldnt be keen for this kind of investment to continue indefinitely though (assuming its there). There needs to be an end point, we need to find our level and if advancements are made at this point it's due to steady, sustainable growth.