Kelty Hearts lowland league quest

Nobody is "scratching their heads in confusion". Kelty are funded by a local businessman who is paying a relative fortune to try and make the SPFL. This bollocks about selling raffle books, sausage rolls and programmes to fund full time footballers is ridiculous. 

8 hours ago, AB de Villiers said:

It’s not that simple though is it. Falkirk likely have a bigger budget than a few Championship teams, and Tidser was one of, if not their marquee signing(s). He also had a very good record for several years in the Championship and had played down south.

While I agree it’s not a completely mental signing (Tidser is likely on reduced wages as his career winds down), it’s not as simple as ‘player not getting a game in League 1 drops down to League 2 club’.

Tidser was offered to clubs on loan for a third of the wages he was on at Falkirk.

no one took that up - not even his old gaffer now at Queen’s Park who have a bit of a bankroll.

Edited by BS7

We all would love our teams to be self sufficient but alas it’s tricky times , we are fortunate to have a guy passionate about the team and putting money in so don’t see the problem but many do , is this because that’s what’s lacking at their own team ???? 

Two players ( and their combined wage) have left the club. Factor in any potential fee for those players and you’d in all likelihood be able to fund the signing of Tidser.

Take into account one of the wages was for a keeper who had next to no minutes and again it’s a shrewd move

37 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

We all would love our teams to be self sufficient but alas it’s tricky times , we are fortunate to have a guy passionate about the team and putting money in so don’t see the problem but many do , is this because that’s what’s lacking at their own team ???? 

I don’t see a problem, lots of teams are backed by ‘individuals’ to various degrees but don’t insult people intelligence by claiming  a club at that level with that fan base can sustainably afford players like Tidser, Austin, Husband, Easton, Reilly, etc. You are talking about guys that could realistically be playing in the Championship or higher echelons of League1.

40 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

I don’t see a problem, lots of teams are backed by ‘individuals’ to various degrees but don’t insult people intelligence by claiming  a club at that level with that fan base can sustainably afford players like Tidser, Austin, Husband, Easton, Reilly, etc. You are talking about guys that could realistically be playing in the Championship or higher echelons of League1.

No insults intended , quite clearly fan base alone won’t do that but that’s the same for every team in the world mate , individuals generosity, outside investment and bloody hard work is how kelty are doing it and best part is no one is expecting a return well maybe a shot at spfl fitty 

14 minutes ago, gogsy said:

I think most that post on this thread do, even the non Kelty posters.

Club has to be careful here , there are clear indications that the manager is clearly taking the scatter gun approach to the signing of players which worked so well when he was at Clyde. Throw in reports of different treatment of players who aren't favoured by the manager. Any more requests for players and the manager should be told to get stuffed.

That’s my fear this season, too many ins and outs Bonnyrigg kept squad together over last few seasons and have a right togetherness like Auchinlek, we have lost some of that junior dig and mentality that served us so well but hopefully onwards and upwards 

12 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Kelty have a "commercial sponsor" in the same way that PSG and Man City do. At least a couple of posters are saying as much now, rather than the Gogsys of this world trying to apportion these signings to running raffles.

I think where the confusion lies is in the fact that some of the players are not paid directly by the club, but by the conservatory company, doing this would allow Kelty to show their books to be balancing??

4 hours ago, BS7 said:

Tidser was offered to clubs on loan for a third of the wages he was on at Falkirk.

no one took that up - not even his old gaffer now at Queen’s Park who have a bit of a bankroll.

Not true, from the man himself at the weekend Queen's Park offered him big money but he didn't want to go part time yet so I can only imagine Kelty have offered him more.

This is the same discussion that was had at the start of the season. I am not even sure why folk are still arguing. Kelty are where they are because someone behind the scenes is willing to spend a shit tonne of cash to get the players they've got. Austin, Easton, Humphrey, Tidser, Reilly, Linton, they're at Kelty for the money in the same way as when East Fife were flinging cash around in the Wullie Gray years and bankrolling our way to the League 2 title.  We all know this, anyone arguing otherwise is being deliberately obtuse. Kelty are well within their rights to spend more money to win the league. Fans of other clubs, many who have had the bank-rolled years of fun at some point, are allowed to point this out. And we are, of course, allowed to laugh at the idea that this cash is being spent on a squad manager by Barry Ferguson. 

6 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Didn' you post on another thread.

"Tidser off to Kelty. The bitter wee guy in me is pretty desperate for that nonsensical project to come crashing down."

Absolutely, but I'm not representative of everyone posting here. I am an absolute bitter wee guy when it comes to this especially when it's a club along the road. But I can take a more neutral view if I need to, as above. 

4 hours ago, ListerRRFC said:

Not true, from the man himself at the weekend Queen's Park offered him big money but he didn't want to go part time yet so I can only imagine Kelty have offered him more.

And the money on offer at Kelty isn’t anywhere near Queens Park levels, who are now Willie Haughey’s plaything.

2 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

This is the same discussion that was had at the start of the season. I am not even sure why folk are still arguing. Kelty are where they are because someone behind the scenes is willing to spend a shit tonne of cash to get the players they've got. Austin, Easton, Humphrey, Tidser, Reilly, Linton, they're at Kelty for the money in the same way as when East Fife were flinging cash around in the Wullie Gray years and bankrolling our way to the League 2 title.  We all know this, anyone arguing otherwise is being deliberately obtuse. Kelty are well within their rights to spend more money to win the league. Fans of other clubs, many who have had the bank-rolled years of fun at some point, are allowed to point this out. And we are, of course, allowed to laugh at the idea that this cash is being spent on a squad manager by Barry Ferguson. 

Austin, Reilly, Easton, Humphrey & Linton all work full time jobs outside of football, why would they do that if Kelty was such a cash cow and paid them more than league 1 teams?

2 minutes ago, AB de Villiers said:

You are aware that the vast majority of League One footballers also have full time jobs outside of football? Or do you seriously think people are joining Kelty for another reason?

Do you think it is purely financial? Or do you not think players talk amongst themselves and when faced with a choice of a potential relegation avoidance as a clubs goal or a potential assault on a league title, that they would be more likely to choose the latter?

46 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

Austin, Reilly, Easton, Humphrey & Linton all work full time jobs outside of football, why would they do that if Kelty was such a cash cow and paid them more than league 1 teams?

Because the wages of the average PT league one player is less than the average full time job and secondly, the full time work they do outside of football is obviously part of the deal to sign for Kelty.