Kelty Hearts lowland league quest

Due to motorway gridlock I diverted to Kelty v Dalbeattie on the first day of the season, and they had much more invention and energy about them than tonight. You can't be facing a side of Auchinleck's calibre and play so flat and "one-dimensionally". Having started like that you expected a reaction - at least after HT when the manager can make big calls - but the tactics didn't seem to alter much, the style hardly at all, and I'm not sure any of the personnel got replaced.

If they play so poorly in a fortnight we may actually have a chance of putting up a fight.

What was the consensus on reasons why they lost at Cumbernauld?

They made at least two subs in the first 15 mins of the second half.

Also, if they play that poorly against you guys, they’ll still win comfortably........

Sorry HJ, couldn’t resist

According to their twitter they made 1 sub on 62mins (Ritchie<>Dodds). It made such an impact I genuinely hadn't noticed.

Nothing to apologise for - we're 13th with 1 victory in 5 for a reason: we aren't playing very well, and certainly haven't as good players than the likes of Kelty.

I was expecting to get pasted but tonight shows they don't always turn-up. Let a man hope.

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Due to motorway gridlock I diverted to Kelty v Dalbeattie on the first day of the season, and they had much more invention and energy about them than tonight. You can't be facing a side of Auchinleck's calibre and play so flat and "one-dimensionally". Having started like that you expected a reaction - at least after HT when the manager can make big calls - but the tactics didn't seem to alter much, the style hardly at all, and I'm not sure any of the personnel got replaced.

If they play so poorly in a fortnight we may actually have a chance of putting up a fight.

What was the consensus on reasons why they lost at Cumbernauld?

We looked like rabbits in the headlights last night Hibee.  Easton seems to be the key for us unlocking teams but we have been playing well with him missing for weeks now.  What I found strange is we competed physically with Solihull Moors who were far bigger than Talbot yet Talbot bullied us last night.

Against Cumbernauld we looked off it, can't afford to do that against the likes of Talbot or any of the better LL teams.  Two centre halfs were poor last night - murder at set pieces 😞

Edited by leomessi1984

Let's put the game into some perspective. We thought we'd be in for a much harder game last night, but Tucker Sloan got his tactics exactly right whereas Ferguson got his horribly wrong. Kelty were poor because we never let them play their 25 man passing moves anywhere near the 18 yard box. They had no idea once the 25 th pass had been hit other than to lump the ball long - and often very hard - to the front men. It as anti football more than anything else.

I think it's probably fair to say that Kelty will be in or around the top of the LL come the end of the season, but whether they have the guile in Ferguson's management to actually win it and make the SPL is a totally different matter. Even when we were 3-0 up and coasting it, you were still playing the sideways pass across the back four instead of injecting a bit of passion into the game and going for broke. You can keep the 8-0 and 10-0 scorelines, they mean nothing. 

As for the BEEB...I haven't seen the highlights of the game yet but understand the commentary was very much all about Kelty, so you have a lot to live up to now, especially after such a going over. I think Talbot are slowly turning into the non league club everybody wants to avoid, like Huntly were back in the days of Big Doug Rougvie.

BTW, why only 500 tickets for Talbot? That end we occupied could have held three times that many easily. Is it because of the grass banking?

2 minutes ago, TFW said:

Let's put the game into some perspective. We thought we'd be in for a much harder game last night, but Tucker Sloan got his tactics exactly right whereas Ferguson got his horribly wrong. Kelty were poor because we never let them play their 25 man passing moves anywhere near the 18 yard box. They had no idea once the 25 th pass had been hit other than to lump the ball long - and often very hard - to the front men. It as anti football more than anything else.

I think it's probably fair to say that Kelty will be in or around the top of the LL come the end of the season, but whether they have the guile in Ferguson's management to actually win it and make the SPL is a totally different matter. Even when we were 3-0 up and coasting it, you were still playing the sideways pass across the back four instead of injecting a bit of passion into the game and going for broke. You can keep the 8-0 and 10-0 scorelines, they mean nothing. 

As for the BEEB...I haven't seen the highlights of the game yet but understand the commentary was very much all about Kelty, so you have a lot to live up to now, especially after such a going over. I think Talbot are slowly turning into the non league club everybody wants to avoid, like Huntly were back in the days of Big Doug Rougvie.

BTW, why only 500 tickets for Talbot? That end we occupied could have held three times that many easily. Is it because of the grass banking?

Agree Talbots tactics spot on and we shat it , don’t think anyone from Championship down would like Talbot in next round (especially Ayr) and yes it was all about Kelty on the BBC most of the time but Auchinleck went about their business regardless, well done 

Well considering (as the commentary team kept reminding us) they been winning games 10-0, 8-0 and so on in the LL... yes, it’s rather embarrassing 🤷‍♂️[emoji23]

Kelty are a far better team than they showed last night. They never turned up. Talbot are a cracking side. But i dont think there is anywhere near the size of gap between the teams as was shown last night. It was a cup game. You get results like that where a team dosent show up for whatever reason. Dosen’t make the lowland league shite. Over the last few years ek have put out some very good sides from the leagues above. Its how the cups work.

1 hour ago, TFW said:

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

There’s alot more going into capacity calculations than just the space available.

A lot of a capacity is down to the amount of turnstiles and exits that a ground has. That would have had a lot to do why the game was all ticket. You can get  a lot more people through turnstiles with just tickets rather than taking cash which holds things up. Think there is 6 turnstiles in total with  2 at the away end.

The grass banking don't know if that would have counted last night. For example Spartans can use the grass banking at all games at Ainslie Park but Edinburgh City can for SPFL games!

Talbot fans were good patter in the boozer before the game and brought a decent support for a Friday tv game.

Bottle job from Kelty never even laid a glove on them. Lost individual battles all over the park and Talbot were causing chaos at set pieces. Absolutely zero width too. I hope some of those players who don't really know junior football (especially west these days)thought it was going to be a walk over. Talbot looked like they wanted it more which is probably the worst part for me.

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

Kelty are a far better team than they showed last night. They never turned up. Talbot are a cracking side. But i dont think there is anywhere near the size of gap between the teams as was shown last night. It was a cup game. You get results like that where a team dosent show up for whatever reason. Dosen’t make the lowland league shite. Over the last few years ek have put out some very good sides from the leagues above. Its how the cups work.
I'm afraid it does make the lowland leauge look shite cos if Kelly are winning 10 nil and so on.40 goals in 10 games