Kelty Hearts lowland league quest

18 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Watched this.

"Exceedingly robust" Dalbeattie tackling and Kelty profligacy kept it to 3-0 at HT.

Second half rout - albeit Star squandered a few chances.

Gulp-inducing chasm in quality.

First 5 minutes looked like a contest then when the first goal went in Kelty put a stranglehold on the game and shifted gears. There was a point in the second half where Dalbeattie only touched the ball twice in about 5 minutes. Fair play to them they kept working even at 7 & 8 down.

What can I say about today ? 

Scored at the right times ,kept the ball well , and too a man played their part well done , 2 points better off than this time last season basically like chalk n cheese from last seasons opener 

well done Kelty

16 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Watched this.

"Exceedingly robust" Dalbeattie tackling and Kelty profligacy kept it to 3-0 at HT.

Second half rout - albeit Star squandered a few chances.

Gulp-inducing chasm in quality.

Didn't think Dalbeattie had that many clear cut chances but they did battle hard. Didn't expect 8-0, probably nobody did, but a tremendous start to what will be a tough campaign.

There’s been a lot of folk saying the lowland league is getting more competitive as teams filter into it. It seems this season may be the opposite, with the teams that really want to go up investing big time in their team and leaving the rest along way behind.

Expect to see plenty more absolute pumpings. 

For me 2 horse race as EK have also strengthened after being comfortable winners last season.

Whatever happens hope the LL winner gets up this time.

7 minutes ago, big al said:

There’s been a lot of folk saying the lowland league is getting more competitive as teams filter into it. It seems this season may be the opposite, with the teams that really want to go up investing big time in their team and leaving the rest along way behind.

For me 2 horse race as EK have also strengthened after being comfortable winners last season.

Surely there has to be a question of long-term sustainability as well. Numerous clubs appear to be investing, presumably on the premise that it is better to do so now and attain (further) promotion from the Lowland League whilst it is a mix of strong and weak, rather than wait until there are many more stronger. I’ll be interested to see what happens to those clubs who invest but find promotion beyond their reach.

Surely there has to be a question of long-term sustainability as well. Numerous clubs appear to be investing, presumably on the premise that it is better to do so now and attain (further) promotion from the Lowland League whilst it is a mix of strong and weak, rather than wait until there are many more stronger. I’ll be interested to see what happens to those clubs who invest but find promotion beyond their reach.

It will be interesting, but I’d also suggest that there aren’t any teams in the EoS who could feasibly come close to the spending power of Kelty, EK or Shire (in their boom or bust mindset). There are loads (almost every team in the Premier) who’ll have bigger budgets than the bottom 4/5 budgets in the LL, but I’d guess not enough of a budget to be competing at the top end immediately.

14 hours ago, big al said:

So you're writing off BSC Shire and even Bonnyrigg Rose on the basis of the 1st Saturday of the season ? 

Far from a 2 horse race. 

The LL, like many leagues will have mini leagues of top 4 or 5 a comfortable 6 to 10 and a bottom 5 or 6 relegation battle  ?

As for loads of pumpings I dont think it'll be as easy as yer making out.There will be freak scorelines along the way though.

Do you know the  LL is renowned for a coupon buster or two as well  ?

Edited by newcastle broon

12 hours ago, Harry’s Toffee Knees said:

In other words, clubs are spending big in order to avoid being another Spartans ie a club tipped to move into League 2 in the early LL years but failed and then overtaken to the point where it may never happen.  Edinburgh City instead were the beneficiaries.

The West will come on board at some point, and then things get a whole lot more difficult. There's at least 2 seasons before we maybe see one of them in the LL.

9 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

In other words, clubs are spending big in order to avoid being another Spartans ie a club tipped to move into League 2 in the early LL years but failed and then overtaken to the point where it may never happen.  Edinburgh City instead were the beneficiaries.

The West will come on board at some point, and then things get a whole lot more difficult. There's at least 2 seasons before we maybe see one of them in the LL.

Good point. But is becoming another Spartans such a bad thing? I appreciate that there is a window of opportunity for some clubs to realise their ambitions, but it’s currently not an easy league to escape from, at least up the way.

4 minutes ago, Harry’s Toffee Knees said:

Good point. But is becoming another Spartans such a bad thing? I appreciate that there is a window of opportunity for some clubs to realise their ambitions, but it’s currently not an easy league to escape from, at least up the way.

No it's not a bad thing, but everyone knows Spartans were the prime movers behind the LL thinking it would be a straightforward step into the SPFL.  Didn't quite for out like that and at the moment it looks unlikely they will ever realise their ambitions.

EK and KH hold similar ambitions, and of course ES want their league status back, they all have the big budgets.  Not easy, but very interesting to watch.

13 hours ago, big al said:

No division can guarantee a competitive season (I think Arbroath and Peterhead went top of Leagues 1 & 2 within the first few weeks and never budged) but there's no doubt it's much more exciting when you do get one.

The teams that struggled last season seem set to do the same but at the top I think it'll be much closer. 

9 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

No division can guarantee a competitive season (I think Arbroath and Peterhead went top of Leagues 1 & 2 within the first few weeks and never budged) but there's no doubt it's much more exciting when you do get one.

The teams that struggled last season seem set to do the same but at the top I think it'll be much closer. 

Arbroath did but Edinburgh City were L2 leaders for most of the season.

19 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

9 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Arbroath did but Edinburgh City were L2 leaders for most of the season.

Celtic/Paris/Barcelona all one horse race.

English premier has top middle bottom mini leagues as well. 

My point being the lad was being disrespectful to other LL clubs. 

The league will throw up the odd freak result but not as much as he was stating  ? 

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

So you're writing off BSC Shire and even Bonnyrigg Rose on the basis of the 1st Saturday of the season  ? 

Far from a 2 horse race. 

The LL, like many leagues will have mini leagues of top 4 or 5 a comfortable 6 to 10 and a bottom 5 or 6 relegation battle  ?

As for loads of pumpings I dont think it'll be as easy as yer making out.There will be freak scorelines along the way though.

Do you know the  LL is renowned for a coupon buster or two as well  ?

Think that’s how it’ll shape up, too, though I suspect the gap between the teams in the middle to the top might be narrower than that to the teams battling relegation. Should be interest in most games.

Edited by Harry’s Toffee Knees

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Celtic/Paris/Barcelona all one horse race.

English premier has top middle bottom mini leagues as well. 

My point being the lad was being disrespectful to other LL clubs. 

The league will throw up the odd freak result but not as much as he was stating  ? 

Wasn’t meaning to disrespect the rest of the LL, just feel the top 2(some say 3) are spending big and they will be further ahead than ever from the rest.

Kelty just blasted 8 by Dalbeattie and they will hand out a few more hammerings for sure.