Kelty Hearts lowland league quest

All these top players are joining Kelty hearts as they have been supporters from a young age and love the ambition of the project.  The "infrastructure" has enticed them even more.

Absolutely nothing to do with the cash getting thrown at them.

This won't end in tears at all. No siree. Nuh uh.

14 minutes ago, Neilly said:

All these top players are joining Kelty hearts as they have been supporters from a young age and love the ambition of the project.  The "infrastructure" has enticed them even more.

Absolutely nothing to do with the cash getting thrown at them.

This won't end in tears at all. No siree. Nuh uh.

Won't be long before Central Park is looking better than Ochilview Neilly so you are 100% correct there :thumsup2;)

ETA - Not sure if any of you listen to the Pele Podcast, but last summer at least one former Clyde player that was there under Ferguson (canny mind who, I'd have to listen to them all again) was discussing why it never worked. I remember them talking about how, because of the level Barry played at he was expecting players to be able to do what he told them, but sometimes what he was asking was too much for the standard of player at that level. It should therefore be of no surprise that he failed at Clyde.

It was Scott McLaughlin on that podcast you are referring to. A very interesting listen on what a shitshow of a manager Ferguson is.

As far as the money stuff goes, I've personally never criticised Kelty for spending more money to get players in. I'm not going to go surfing back the past 20 pages of the thread to find out where it's come from, feel free to sum it up for me. My argument has always been (particularly on the EF thread about where our released players are heading) is a couple of fans seemed incapable of just admitting that you're getting these players because you're spending more than everyone else, nowt to do with who you're releasing, the great stadium or the fact some think the previous bang average players are going to demand transfer fees that will fund new players
I don't deny that you might have a great set up, forward thinking club, board working well behind the scenes etc etc, but players go for money. FWIW, I think the Gretna comparison is being chucked in far too early, loads of clubs (including my own) have had rich benefactors even if only temporarily, it doesn't automatically mean you'll go bust.
As far as Barry Ferguson goes, he was poor at Clyde who had one of the bigger budgets in the league, leaving them in 8th place in the table having tried to spend his own money to get better players to cover up his own managerial inadequacies. He appears to have found his niche learning from the way Rangers operated. So if you're wondering why people think he's not the answer for a supposedly forward thinking lowland league club, it's because based on the 4 years of managerial evidence we have in front of us, he's so far been a failure. 
ETA - Not sure if any of you listen to the Pele Podcast, but last summer at least one former Clyde player that was there under Ferguson (canny mind who, I'd have to listen to them all again) was discussing why it never worked. I remember them talking about how, because of the level Barry played at he was expecting players to be able to do what he told them, but sometimes what he was asking was too much for the standard of player at that level. It should therefore be of no surprise that he failed at Clyde. If Kelty do have a strong and succesful 2019/2020 season, I strongly suspect it will have nothing to do with Fergusons managerial prowess. In fact, based on the evidence, he will hold you back.
ETA v2 - Were you not top when he took over last year? :lol:

I agree with your post apart from the contradictory part. Saying “previous bang average players” and then stating at the end of your post that they were top when he took over. Just because some players have played senior doesn’t always make them better than players who have hunger and want to play for each other, which I believe kelty most definitely had before Ferguson was appointed

On 16/05/2019 at 20:37, Jack Burton said:

Ferguson's problem at Clyde wasn't attracting decent players it was trying to model them into a team. The turnover of players at Clyde was also ridiculous. Would not be surprised if some of these signings don't last a couple of months before he's away signing more players.

You could seem him getting frustrated with the players because they were nowhere near the level he was used to. Once he starts crouching down on the touch line you know your fucked and he doesn't know what to do.

Ferguson tried his hardest to make it work at Clyde but ultimately he just wasn't very good. Hopefully he has learned from his time at Clyde but so far he seems to be repeating the same mistakes. Having Bob Malcolm as assistant rather than an experienced number 2. Spending loads of cash to attract well known players. Building his team round Easton was a disaster at Clyde.

The year we were fighting relegation to the LL we had 5 of the players from the previous seasons SPFL2 team of the year and Peaso up front emoji23.png

Linking the package to a job outside of football has been done before. Realistically how many players can you do that with though and what do you do when Ferguson wants to ship them out after a few months?

Was it not around 170 players in his time at Clyde.(from former Clyde player) at work.

2 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Hasn't been any mention of it on here, could be the other goalie that they are allegedly looking at, looks like he was at Clyde when Ferguson was manager there?

4 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Hasn't been any mention of it on here, could be the other goalie that they are allegedly looking at, looks like he was at Clyde when Ferguson was manager there?

That makes sense how he would know him then. I've heard Dick Campbell is not impressed on the dosh being offered. That's not my business so I will not mention any numbers.

Dick Campbell is probably trying to workout how many sixpences and tanners to offer.

As for not mentioning any numbers did you just mean on this thread, obviously after saying that you just mentioned a number on the Arbroath one.[emoji6]

Going senile mate

Actually no harm in putting it out there on the smokies forum. Did not want to get shot down by my neebors on here. Your probably the only detective that reads every post on pandb [emoji8] [emoji6]

44 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Going senile mate

Actually no harm in putting it out there on the smokies forum. Did not want to get shot down by my neebors on here. Your probably the only detective that reads every post on pandb emoji8.pngemoji6.png

:lol:

Would imagine they are aiming high GK wise so would be surprised to see it's him.  Have a feeling after wll this bluster we might end up dissapointed tomorrow ha!

Edited by leomessi1984

3 hours ago, superbigal said:

Not read back too many pages but have Kelty landed Kyle Gourlay ?

Heard reliably that the offer is higher than Arbroath in the championship who are keen on him.

Gourley hasn’t even had an offer from Kelty. Looks like players playing the game trying to get the best deal they can. £500pw for a youth keeper who would have been on £150 full time at Dundee, come on.

Edited by kefc

Those signings are really quite something. To not win the LL (and go up) next season would be a huge failure. No Cove to meet in a playoff so an easier path into the final for sure.

Wouldn't want to finish bottom of League 2 next season!