Kelty Hearts lowland league quest

17 minutes ago, gogsy said:

I liked the theory  from one fan on dafc.net where he got wind of Kelty Hearts  tapping up Barry Ferguson so he resigned. :lol:

From rumours doing the rounds he was unhappy with certain aspects of the way the club was being run. This may fall under that category.

On 10/17/2018 at 00:10, GordonS said:

Lyle, who played in the Premier League with Accies and in the second tier with Dundee and Partick Thistle;

Yes, those are definitely the main two clubs to associate Derek Lyle with in the second tier of Scottish football. ^_^

He last played for Partick Thistle 18 years ago!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

By all accounts from the players, the many MANY players, he had at us in his time his coaching was superb.  But he was not in any way shape or form a manager.  

He had no idea how to improve or better players he had.  His first move was to remove and replace when a player wasn't to his extremely high standards.  In his 2 and a half years with us he used over 100 players.  

Edited by Adolfo Rios

Bob Malcolm :rolleyes:

Thought Ferguson might have learned his lesson from Clyde and got an experienced assistant in, obviously not.

Best of luck for the rest of the season. I've no bad feelings towards Ferguson but would be surprised if he is successful at Kelty.

Seems an odd appointment to me. High profile for sure, but his record at Clyde was poor and he has never come across as having any kind of long term vision(Outside of signing all his assets over to his wife a few years before he went bankrupt...). I don't see what he brings to Kelty, other than his profile. Looks to me to be a hell of a risk given how much they have been moving forwards in the last few years.

Edited by Ross.

I’ll be interested to see how Ferguson does. He will have learned from a lot of his mistakes at Clyde, but obviously not all of them if he’s bringing Bob Malcolm with him again.

Scott McLaughlin’s interview on Tell Him He’s Pele gives a decent summary of Ferguson’s management style (if you can call it that). His standards were way too high for this level of football and he would give every player a hard time over every mistake, regardless of whether they could take it or not. McLaughlin actually liked playing for Ferguson but said it got to the stage where it was uncomfortable watching him have a go at some guys, and it clearly made some of them play even worse.

If you get off to a good start (or more to the point, carry on your good start to the season) then I wouldn’t be surprised if Ferguson can actually help give you that extra push to go on and win the league. However, if things start to go awry, I wouldn’t have much confidence that he would be able to turn it around.

One thing is for sure, it certainly was never boring while he was in charge at Clyde.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

I'm very interested in seeing how this goes, although I can't imagine it ending particularly well.

Anyway, say what you want about Barry, but fair play to him for continuing to try to earn his stripes in the lower leagues, when someone of his profile could likely get a coaching role higher up the divisions, or stick with the after dinner speaking exclusively. 

38 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Scott McLaughlin’s interview on Tell Him He’s Pele gives a decent summary of Ferguson’s management style (if you can call it that). His standards were way too high for this level of football and he would give every player a hard time over every mistake, regardless of whether they could take it or not. McLaughlin actually like playing for Ferguson but said it got to the stage where it was uncomfortable watching him have a go at some guys, and it clearly made some of them play even worse.

In a lot of respects. former Kelty manager Tam Courts is the same, so that might work at Kelty. 

I've seen Kelty a lot this season and Tam was screaming about standards when they were 6-0 at Whitehill and 4-0 up against Civil Service Strollers. 

Kelty have a squad that get on at each other cos they want to win above all  and it seems to help, not hinder them in games. 

By all accounts from the players, the many MANY players, he had at us in his time his coaching was superb.  But he was not in any way shape or form a manager.  
He had no idea how to improve or better players he had.  His first move was to remove and replace when a player wasn't to his extremely high standards.  In his 2 and a half years with us he used over 100 players.  

If his coaching was superb then he’d improve players. If he hasn’t then his coaching isn’t superb.