KELLO SECURE OBJECTIVE

Seventies Man

Bit confused & disappointed at the level of hostility shown towards our club here, I had always thought our clubs got on well.

We’ve had three fantastic encounters between us this season with two wins for us and one for you, so it’s been close throughout. And both myself and our physio spent ages treating your keeper & defender who both got injured in our cup match, so we’ve hardly treated you with distain - we’ve gone out of our way to help a fellow Junior club. And more than once.

Well done to Gillian & Mark for a fantastic season, and to John & all the players for securing their place in the 1st Division for next year.

18 hours ago, Seventies Man said:

Hello jimbaxters,

Firstly thank you very much for your kind comments about our achievement this season which are genuinely appreciated. It has indeed been a very competitive league and one which has been a real credit to Junior football. Every single game has been a battle from start to finish with no evidence of any teams throwing in the towel. It is remarkable how even bottom clubs like Maryhill and Shettleston have been beaten by just a single goal in so many matches.

Turning to the other points you make in your post I would suggest that a prescription for light hearted pills would be to your advantage. The post was not designed to be offensive to any other team but rather to reflect what has been a magnificent achievement by Kello Rovers this season, a club which has very limited resources.

You say it is 11 v 11 on the park which counts. Try telling me and other Celtic supporters that the next time we play Barcelona in the Champions League. You imply that Messi is up there with Brown.

You refer to facilities that exist in villages or towns. These were light hearted comments but the reference to population was not, it was for real and I note that you made no reference to population. Population means that East Fife will never finish further up the league than Rangers. And population means that Kello Rovers and Lugar will very rarely finish above Irvine Meadow in the league. Population generates more income and more players to choose from. We are not talking about analysis of World finance here.

You say hardly any of our players will be local. Eleven local boys have played for Kello Rovers this season. By jings, according to my arithmetic that is a full team. I wonder how many other Junior teams could boast that statistic. I suggest a wee bit more research in future before you tuck into your Pie and Bovril!

The bottom line is that a club’s success almost always relates to two things: a) Tradition and b) Population. There will always be a few anomalies and the tradition of Auchinleck Talbot permits them to buck the trend. They are a special club with special supporters. We would all like to replicate their success but they are an anomaly.

I turn again to the main point which is population. As we travel around we hear of some clubs who have very generous sponsorship deals with companies in heavily populated areas. More importantly, we see so many clubs who have licensed premises, unlike us. Some of us were even knocked out to see that some of the clubs we played against had weddings and funeral teas in their licensed premises – weddings for goodness sake! Give us the takings from ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’ and we wouldn’t have to scrimp around all year trying to raise a penny from ticket draws and a multitude of other ways we have to fight for to win every penny.

Kello Rovers has a proud record of showing respect for fellow Junior clubs and if my post came across as offensive then I readily apologise. That was most certainly not my intention even if players from Troon F.C. had described our home venue as a ‘sh.t hole’ just a couple of weeks earlier when they were down in Kirkconnel. 

You are absolutely correct in saying that a wee bit more respect for opponents wins more pals and so I very much hope the relevant Troon players will read your post.

We need to see how the league pans out but we would certainly be most keen to welcome Troon down to our ‘sh.t hole’ again next season to see if we could beat them again. It’s not every week we beat a team who has a population of 14,000, a marina, a harbour, a municipal golf course, the Royal Troon Open Golf Course, four banks and five primary schools.

Best wishes to the Talbot. I have shouted them on many times over the past thirty years in the 'Scottish' when the Rovers have not been playing.

Seventies Man

As a junior fan from a very affluent area  compared to  your part of the world where the Big and not so big boys here in the East are hell bent on destroying junior football for supposed pots of gold in the East of Scotland Seniors it is refreshing to read your piece Seventies Man......Why are we tarred as dinasuars and  yesterdays men by all the so called Progressive football scribes......is it because we still believe that our communities and their institutions are worth holding on to in this day and age of..the god that is money and the be all and end all of everthing.......we have lost the battle in the East....please don't lose it in your green and pleasant land....

13 hours ago, Troon Portland said:

Bit confused & disappointed at the level of hostility shown towards our club here, I had always thought our clubs got on well.

We’ve had three fantastic encounters between us this season with two wins for us and one for you, so it’s been close throughout. And both myself and our physio spent ages treating your keeper & defender who both got injured in our cup match, so we’ve hardly treated you with distain - we’ve gone out of our way to help a fellow Junior club. And more than once.

Well done to Gillian & Mark for a fantastic season, and to John & all the players for securing their place in the 1st Division for next year.

Hello, It was me who posted the comments which have caused offence.  They were not meant to cause offence and I apologise unreservedly for this.  There were a couple of Troon players who made gratuitous remarks about Nithside Park BUT I completely accept that that is just a detail and that the relationship between our clubs has always been excellent.  And yes, your assistance in treating our players was greatly appreciated.  So, I will end again with an apology and I wish you every good fortune in your remaining games.

Always love my visits to Kello Rovers when the Talbot don't have a game, and saw the home game vs Troon the other week, which Troon won with a 96th minute winner against a very plucky Kello Rovers team, reduced to ten men on 40 minutes when they were 1-0 up and coasting it.

Fitba  in Kirkconnel is at the very raw edge of the game, in the typical working class community fucked up big style by the Great She Cow in the Sky, and that's why I love going there, love the online banter on their FB page and contribute to it regularly. I suppose it's what the Junior game is all about, and always has been about. That they have managed to stay in the second tier after lossing so many of the players who got them there in the first instance, and their manager, makes the achievement all the more remarkable. EEKA PEEKA Kello! Would love to play youse in the Super League one day. Now that would be something.

Way back, okay last century in the days of Crossroads, a mate asked me to go with him to visit his grannies second cousins or some other obscure relatives.

Aye nae problem, where do they live? 

Eh, Kirkconnell.

He might as well have said Khalistan because i'd never heard of the place. Turns out you get the train there. Still none the wiser. Of course he didn't add the last train back to Glasgow in the 1970s was about 6 o'clock along with the last bus. So that was us stuck for the night in some isolated housing scheme on top of hill, 50 effin miles from Glasgow. Always remembered the family, good folks, the father and the three or four sons were miners. The entire talk centred around some outfit called Kello Rovers (which was okay since i came from a Junior minded family) and Derek Parlane. Thought it best not too mention a certain team from Glasgow ie St Roch's. Hopefully later on this year i'll return and take a drive up to that housing scheme, the second or third last door on a street with swing park in front of it and view looking back down on the village. And St Roch's will be there.

5 hours ago, TFW said:

Always love my visits to Kello Rovers when the Talbot don't have a game, and saw the home game vs Troon the other week, which Troon won with a 96th minute winner against a very plucky Kello Rovers team, reduced to ten men on 40 minutes when they were 1-0 up and coasting it.

Fitba  in Kirkconnel is at the very raw edge of the game, in the typical working class community fucked up big style by the Great She Cow in the Sky, and that's why I love going there, love the online banter on their FB page and contribute to it regularly. I suppose it's what the Junior game is all about, and always has been about. That they have managed to stay in the second tier after lossing so many of the players who got them there in the first instance, and their manager, makes the achievement all the more remarkable. EEKA PEEKA Kello! Would love to play youse in the Super League one day. Now that would be something.

You say they lost so many of the players that got them there, how many did they lose as I wasn't aware that they lost that many?

19 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Way back, okay last century in the days of Crossroads, a mate asked me to go with him to visit his grannies second cousins or some other obscure relatives.

Aye nae problem, where do they live? 

Eh, Kirkconnell.

He might as well have said Khalistan because i'd never heard of the place. Turns out you get the train there. Still none the wiser. Of course he didn't add the last train back to Glasgow in the 1970s was about 6 o'clock along with the last bus. So that was us stuck for the night in some isolated housing scheme on top of hill, 50 effin miles from Glasgow. Always remembered the family, good folks, the father and the three or four sons were miners. The entire talk centred around some outfit called Kello Rovers (which was okay since i came from a Junior minded family) and Derek Parlane. Thought it best not too mention a certain team from Glasgow ie St Roch's. Hopefully later on this year i'll return and take a drive up to that housing scheme, the second or third last door on a street with swing park in front of it and view looking back down on the village. And St Roch's will be there.

Good post except for the mention of the prat Parlane.  Incidentally, there are later trains to Glasgow these days but they are steam, that okay for you?

1 minute ago, Seventies Man said:

Good post except for the mention of the prat Parlane.  Incidentally, there are later trains to Glasgow these days but they are steam, that okay for you?

SM, you must be of a certain age if you remember Derek Parlane, hee hee. 

Strangely with a couple of recent visits this season with St Roch's to Cumnock and Auchinleck Talbot, Kello Rovers came to mind being further on down the Dumfries Rd. Noticed your post about staying up and realised Kello Rovers and the Candy will be in the same league!!! Funny to think 40 odd years later i'd be going back. Always wondered what became of that family. Whatever happened to them it couldn't have been easy, work wise. 

Here's to a warm welcome SM, when you reach Jimmy McGrory Park, give me shout nearer the time with your tipple of choice and i'll get a few in for you when you make the trip up.

8 hours ago, Seventies Man said:

I'm amused!  Derek Parlane?  Huh!  I watched Jimmy McGrory make his debut! :thumsup2

I wonder if this is the very house you visited all these years ago.  On a hill overlooking the village with a playground in front of it which is long gone. 

New Bitmap Image.bmp

Yeh would need to see it in real time, SM.

Must Google Earth it and see if i can make it out. It was only about 43ish years ago. More i remember the more i think it was at the far end of the housing scheme. That Kirkland Drive on the map is ringing a bell. Whoever the family were, they had relatives in Glasgow in the 1970s living nearby the now flattened Red Rd flats which was 5 minutes walk away from JMP.

Archived