The Famous Aberdeen v Rangers - 08/05/18

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summary of the season. Promised so much but ultimately didn't have the quality, workrate, heart or ability to see it through. Pretty bored of this squad and their bottling ways. Glad I don't have to watch a lot of those players in the flesh for us again.

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Forgot to check who the ref was.

Steven McLean in to f**k up our end of season.   :(

I've not seen it on telly yet or read the thread but I'll point out now that I don't think it was a penalty. 

Cheers McLean

Hugely disappointing, all things considered.

After a concerning first ten minutes, we grew into the game after taking the lead and I felt like we controlled the remainder of the first half. Ball, Shinnie and McLean had the upper hand in midfield, and Cosgrove's physicality and hold-up play was causing Rangers' defence problems and allowing for others to be brought into the game. Candeias and Murphy were getting no change from our full-backs and covering midfielders. It was, after the goal, a disciplined, authoritative performance; although, other than a couple of McLean shots, we didn't pose much of a goal threat, which I feared would come back to bite us. 

We were so, so flat in the second half. In the end, we were arguably fortunate to concede only once. The goal we do lose is painfully soft. We failed to ask nearly enough questions of their defence, especially Halliday as a makeshift left-back. I could understand playing Mackay-Steven on our left as he is probably our most defensively conscientious available winger, but having him running at Halliday, who was on a booking, would have been a more attractive offensive option as the game became more stretched. We struggled to create many real scoring opportunities, and Cosgrove tiring - and perhaps with the booking also weighing on his mind - really limited his effectiveness as an out-ball. We were predictable, slow and our technique was found wanting. 

Draw probably the fairest outcome, but not good enough from a Dons' perspective given the nature of the table and the position we had worked ourselves into at half-time. We will very likely need something from Parkhead on Sunday to finish second, which doesn't fill me with optimism. 

Finally, if that is to be Christie's last ever game in an Aberdeen shirt, that is at least one positive that can be taken from tonight. He was somehow even worse than he has been for most games since January, and not having him available for Sunday is now feeling like more of a blessing than a curse. Undeniably capable of terrific moments, but a hugely frustrating player to watch. Of course, tonight isn't solely on him, but it almost feels as if he has regressed since initially signing for us, and I can't help feeling hugely underwhelmed. Early this season I would have bitten your hand off for Christie to sign permanently. Now? I'd happily drive him back to Parkhead myself. Perhaps something of an emotional spasm after a frustrating result, but there you go. 

I just feel that the Dons under McInnes have for a couple of seasons relied too heavily on physicality, which works most weeks but inevitably leads to a loss when teams are able to match them up. Celtic in particular are a very big side as well and lets face it they have given Aberdeen a couple of sair yins, while other sides give them more of a game....even hertz.

34 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

Battle for 2nd is getting real tasty. Guaranteed multiple meltdowns and synchronised cranial detachments everywhere as the week progresses.

You mean battle for 3rd, the sheep have got second secured.

8 minutes ago, stanton4 said:

I just feel that the Dons under McInnes have for a couple of seasons relied too heavily on physicality, which works most weeks but inevitably leads to a loss when teams are able to match them up. Celtic in particular are a very big side as well and lets face it they have given Aberdeen a couple of sair yins, while other sides give them more of a game....even hertz.

What players are you meaning? Dont get me wrong we have some big players, mainly in defence but attacking wise i wouldn’t say any of our most productive forwards or midfielders would be classed as overly physical. Stockley was a big guy but he wasnt a regular starter for us.

Guys like Shinnie commit a lot of fouls and get booked a lot but he’s not exactly bug enough to boss the midfield physically.

It's the brand of football which Aberdeen play which is so annoying.   It seems to consist of a long ball to either winger and to play off scraps, and the more the game goes on it becomes apparent that's the only play.    I've always liked managers who're able to adapt and Neil Lennon deserves credit for identifying the flaws in his team and changing formation and personnel.  They look far more powerful since switching to 2 up front with Scott Allan in behind they look far more dangerous, unpredictable and exciting to watch compared with Aberdeen or Rangers.   

5 minutes ago, bennett said:

You mean battle for 3rd, the sheep have got second secured.

And I thought I was having a bad night! 3 teams still mathematically in it Benny.

A draw at Tynecastle tomorrow and it's heliflopter Sunday for two clubs and best of the rest to the victor.

Still a bit of a nail biter for some.

4 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

It's the brand of football which Aberdeen play which is so annoying.   It seems to consist of a long ball to either winger and to play off scraps, and the more the game goes on it becomes apparent that's the only play.    I've always liked managers who're able to adapt and Neil Lennon deserves credit for identifying the flaws in his team and changing formation and personnel.  They look far more powerful since switching to 2 up front with Scott Allan in behind they look far more dangerous, unpredictable and exciting to watch compared with Aberdeen or Rangers.   

McCrorie is suspended on Sunday too and with Dorrans injured the midfield will give me nightmares all week

19 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

What players are you meaning? Dont get me wrong we have some big players, mainly in defence but attacking wise i wouldn’t say any of our most productive forwards or midfielders would be classed as overly physical. Stockley was a big guy but he wasnt a regular starter for us.

Guys like Shinnie commit a lot of fouls and get booked a lot but he’s not exactly bug enough to boss the midfield physically.

you will know better but is Rooney not a big lad, he certainly puts himself about.   Cosgrove is  newish but he fits the bill and you certainly had a couple of big lads up front in the past.  I agree about Shinnie but you just come over as a very physical team

We've been really bang average all season in my opinion and are very lucky to be sitting second just now. There's gaping holes in the squad and some of the bigger name players have not been performing. Big summer ahead recruitment wise. 

I suppose with our excellent last 3 seasons this season feels like a disaster. The recruitment hasn’t been great this season but strangely we are only 3 points off from last season best every points which it is a tougher league - maybe we have been spoiled over the last 4 seasons.

We are not lucky where we are as I feel the league table doesn’t lie. What ever position we finish in the league is where we deserve to be.

On to tonight game I felt it was a fair result we was better first half and Rangers was better 2nd. Shinnie and McLean not the same level as first half which they was easily the best players on the park. 2nd half felt we sat back after 50 odd minutes which was disappointing and the goal we lost. Wonder if McLean was injured after rangers goal as he received treatment and we wasn’t the same level after that.

12 minutes ago, bennett said:

McCrorie is suspended on Sunday too and with Dorrans injured the midfield will give me nightmares all week

Good.   

46 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

Is there something in that grey brick, that wind, that cauld,  that makes Aberdonians so pessimistic?

Aye,  that and years of watching the Dons  promise much and fail to deliver.   It's easier this way.

17 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

And I thought I was having a bad night! 3 teams still mathematically in it Benny.

A draw at Tynecastle tomorrow and it's heliflopter Sunday for two clubs and best of the rest to the victor.

Still a bit of a nail biter for some.

The post implied, by way of a slur on the character of Poverty fc, that they wish to do injustice to their traditional rivals.

To acheive this end, they will unsportingly and deliberately perform poorly to allow the famous gentleman's team to accumulate a higher total of prize points than said rivals.

I doubt the veracity of this theory and assume that it is partially advanced in the spirit of what is colloquially known as "banter".

4 minutes ago, stanton4 said:

you will know better but is Rooney not a big lad, he certainly puts himself about.   Cosgrove is  newish but he fits the bill and you certainly had a couple of big lads up front in the past.  I agree about Shinnie but you just come over as a very physical team

Think he’s 5’10 and wouldnt say he’s any more physical than most centre forwards. Certainly had a few big guys like i said but most of the players we rely on like Hayes, Mcginn, Christie, Mclean, Maddison etc don’t exactly overpower teams.

Wouldnt say we’re any more physical than the likes of Rangers or Hibs and probably less than sides like Motherwell and Hearts.

Will McInnes ever learn to build teams to pressure and attack Celtic & Sevco. It's almost as if he builds them to defend against them.

Either that or he actually can deflate a team by giving them a depressed pep talk before or at half-time.

He needs to install that winning mentality into his players or buy players that have attacking abilities.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The post implied, by way of a slur on the character of Poverty fc, that they wish to do injustice to their traditional rivals.

To acheive this end, they will unsportingly and deliberately perform poorly to allow the famous gentleman's team to accumulate a higher total of prize points than said rivals.

I doubt the veracity of this theory and assume that it is partially advanced in the spirit of what is colloquially known as "banter".

:lol: Thanks, genuinely found that funny.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Abergreen conspiracy incoming

You're a bit late. :lol:

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/315753-conspiracy-anyone/

Remember Jakes Pal anyone?

Jakes Pal

• Key Player
  • bronze.png.440e7e300306e536ce7405110f321
  • Jakes Pal
  • First Team
  • 1,089 posts

If I was a betting man and if I had a mortgage, I would be punting an Aberdeen win at the Piggery.

Archived