The Famous Aberdeen v Rangers - 08/05/18

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously the sheep have better players in every position but if Jimmy N sets us up similar to today's second half then we might have a slight chance. 

Win this and we’re guaranteed Europe, at least a third place finish, and finishing above Rangers. McLean obviously comes back in. I would leave out May and Cosgrove, bring in Rooney, with McLean playing behind/beside Rooney. We have to go for them this time, and it’s a must win game or we could end up fourth.

I'd like to see something like this: Lewis; Logan, O'Connor, McKenna, Reynolds; Ball, Shinnie; Mackay-Steven, McLean, McGinn; Cosgrove. 

Hopefully, with McLean back in the team, we will be quicker at committing support forward and have more guile in the final third. McGinn hasn't been firing on all cylinders lately, but his defensive work, especially if playing on the left, will be vital in attempting to nullify two of Rangers' best players in Candeias and Tavernier, and ensuring that Reynolds - or Considine - doesn't become isolated at left-back. Stewart, for example, is unlikely to offer the same degree of protection, assuming we revert to a 4-2-3-1. Ball has played well against Hibs and Hearts and seems to have added a degree of balance to the midfield, allowing Shinnie to be at his most impactful by roaming more freely, so should be kept in the team. May just didn't look sharp enough against Hibs and Rooney, I'm afraid, looks to be pretty much done against top four opposition; we can't really afford passengers up-front when defending against the ball or looking to bring others into the play, so I'd go for Cosgrove - for all that he is raw and has his limitations, he is probably our best bet for this 'type' of game, even if he can only manage an hour or so after Saturday. We just need to make sure that we do not use his presence as an excuse for missing out the midfield entirely and punting endless long balls forward, as we occasionally did with Stockley. 

Crucial league game against a struggling Rangers team, in front of a decent crowd and on the telly? Oh dear.

[insert appropriate Spud fae Trainspotting picture here]

If we start with the same team that we did against Killie then we'll be overrun.  I'd go with:  

Alnwick, 
Tavernier, Bates, Martin, (John (if he's fit) or Halliday,)
Dorrans, Docherty, McCrorie, Murphy, Candeias,
Cummings.

11 hours ago, velo army said:

What's the chance of getting a ticket for this? Rare evening off work and would bloody love to go to this.

You will need to be on the Dons database to get a ticket for the home end.

16 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

this one on the telly? won't make it up for a midweeker with work the next day. hope we f**k these horrible b*****ds

aye its on Skye just hope we turn up and hammer them.

We are due a decent result against Deid FC

Archived