Stenhousemuir -vs- Peterhead, Peterhead -vs- Stenhousemuir

18 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Jim McInally in the play offs.

2008-09 - East Stirlingshire were defeated by Cowdenbeath in the semi final.  A 2-1 loss at Ochilview was followed by a 1-1 draw at Central Park. John Dempster equalising late on led to carnage - Michael Bolochoweckyj and Sean Anderson were both sent off disputing the equaliser and McInally too was sent off.  99% certain he smashed in a door after the match.

2012-13 -  Peterhead were defeated by East Fife in the final. A 4-1 aggregate victory over Queens Park meant the Blue Toon were confident going into the final. After a 0-0 draw in Fife a narrow 1-0 defeat thanks to a goal from David Muir saw East Fife avoid relegation and set up matches against Rangers.

2015-16 - defeated by Ayr United in the semi final.  Thrashed would be a better way to describe it than defeated.   A 4-1 loss at Balmoor was followed by a 2-1 loss at Somerset. Ayr went on to win promotion on penalties over Stranraer.

2016-17 - defeated by Forfar in the final.  Pumped would be a better way to describe it than defeated.  A 4-1 aggregate win over Montrose saw the League 1 side face the runners up in League 2. Despite taking an early lead away from home they crashed to a 2-1 defeat with 10 men. Not a horrendous score to take back to Balmoor. How did that match go?  Peterhead 1 Forfar 5.  Ouch.

2017-18 - to be confirmed but currently 2-0 down to Stenhousemuir.  

He's an awful manager who Peterhead really should have gotten rid off last season.

EDIT to add - 

2005-06 - Morton were defeated 1-0 on aggregate by Peterhead in the semi final.  Thanks virginton!

I agree with everything you have said except, "He's an awful manager who Peterhead really should have gotten rid off last season" - he should have gone after the embarrassing defeat to Ayr United in 2015/16. That was the day I walked out of Balmoor  20 minutes before the end and haven't been back since. We needed a complete change of direction, however, the board thought differently and we were subsequently relegated the following season!!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been short of numbers at the back all season & it has caught up with us when we could not afford it, last night striker Russell McLean ended up at centre back & to be honest was probably our best  defender in the end last night. Had a couple little spells of decent pressure but most of the game was left second best. Said at half time after missing the pen & the way things were going in general would have been happy for the teams not to come out for the second half & settle for 0-0, it was not to be & could not really grudge Stenny their win. The 2nd goal makes things much harder to turn round. Need things to go for us on Saturday but as we found last year cannot go further behind. Sounds as if we will be struggling to have a defence so will have to rely on some luck & certainly keep a hold of the ball much better than last night.

12 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Have been short of numbers at the back all season & it has caught up with us when we could not afford it, last night striker Russell McLean ended up at centre back & to be honest was probably our best  defender in the end last night. Had a couple little spells of decent pressure but most of the game was left second best. Said at half time after missing the pen & the way things were going in general would have been happy for the teams not to come out for the second half & settle for 0-0, it was not to be & could not really grudge Stenny their win. The 2nd goal makes things much harder to turn round. Need things to go for us on Saturday but as we found last year cannot go further behind. Sounds as if we will be struggling to have a defence so will have to rely on some luck & certainly keep a hold of the ball much better than last night.

It usually is our defence that has let us down the last few seasons (you'd think we would learn), relying on loan players previously and too many injuries this season. Hope we can turn it around on Saturday but I am not confident at the moment.

10 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

It usually is our defence that has let us down the last few seasons (you'd think we would learn), relying on loan players previously and too many injuries this season. Hope we can turn it around on Saturday but I am not confident at the moment.

We had no defenders on the bench last night and if Mason Robertson and Jason Brown are missing on Saturday it will be a big ask to keep a clean sheet whilst scoring at least 2 goals. Another season in League 2 beckons.

9 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

With the budget Peterhead had, they should have strolled the league this season. Many folk thought that. They didn’t take into account the behaviour of their manager and one of their star players who can really piss everyone off when things start to go wrong.

It’s not over yet but I really hope Stenny don’t switch off.

Last week in the Dutch play-offs, we had a team lose at home 1-4. They won their away with the same scoreline, and went through on penalties. Anything's possible, but with Peterhead's track record v. Stenhousemuir this season, I can't see an upset happening.

Yesterday's poll ended up being a lot closer contested than I had expected;

https://www.strawpoll.me/15665304

Interesting that everyone in the country seem to know what our budget was but our own support are not told how much it was. The reality is we have to pay decent money to attract decent quality players as our location works against us. The other thing that does not help our side is only training once a week together. We do look after players which probably does help recruitment, Nicky Riley had lots of good stuff to say about how well he had been looked after when injured at Berwick earlier in the year by the club as a matter of course. We have a small board  & there has been no word of spending anything we don't have so investing in the team makes sense.

19 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

With the budget Peterhead had, they should have strolled the league this season. Many folk thought that. They didn’t take into account the behaviour of their manager and one of their star players who can really piss everyone off when things start to go wrong.

Yeah Jim just blows the budget on midfielders and then plays them in any position but midfield :lol:

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Which star player is this as I agree with the sentiment but we probably disagree on the name  of the player.

Anyway, it looks like we have fucked up another play-off.  I thought that a 2-0 defeat was as bad as we could take back to Peterhead and still be in with a shout but the way we played last night leaves me thinking that it may be beyond us now.

Never mind, we can always be relied on to keep Scottish football players in hot tubs and hookers with the millions that we lavish on them in League 2.

Peterhead are what they are £££££,big Rory everyone would take him in their team in a heartbeat a big bullying lump and a very good one at that aswell.Willie Gibson on the other hand is just a greeting p***k who thought he would walk this league and pick up his big wage.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Peterhead are what they are £££££,big Rory everyone would take him in their team in a heartbeat a big bullying lump and a very good one at that aswell.Willie Gibson on the other hand is just a greeting p***k who thought he would walk this league and pick up his big wage.

Rory has extended his contract by two years to 2021. Gibson has signed a new two year contract.

Bet they're both regretting it now.

5 minutes ago, blueone said:

Rory has extended his contract by two years to 2021. Gibson has signed a new two year contract.

Not as much as we are, certainly about the latter who didn't manage to find a team mate all night.  As for his recent tendency to pass the ball by flicking it with the outside of his boot.  f**k right off and pass properly!

What sort of wage you think they will both be on a week/month?
Two good players if you have money to pay them then why not I suppose.

I was really disappointed with Willie Gibson last night. I'd watched highlights of his playing over the course of the season and had been impressed by him but he just didn't get into the game at all. His short passing was poor and he rarely got the better of Harry Paton and Mark Ferry and his long passes were nothing more than long balls for Rory McAllister and Russell McLean to contest.

I'm not sure that giving a two-year contract to a 33-year-old winger-cum-midfielder was the best use of money, frankly.

Archived