Welcome Queen's Park

2 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Will Queen's Park be making t-shirts about Clyde signing convicts this season?

That would be in poor taste indeed, but now that you mention it...............

Actually, all joking aside, and with reference to a serious point in a previous discussion on this, do you actually have any convicts on your books anyway (I'm genuinely unsure whether that term applies to civil as well as criminal cases)?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Spider said:

Actually, all joking aside, and with reference to a serious point in a previous discussion on this, do you actually have any convicts on your books anyway (I'm genuinely unsure whether that term applies to civil as well as criminal cases)?

Flynn is now gone so yes, only Goodwillie, who's been civilly and not criminally convicted

3 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

I, for one, finally welcome another big side to this pishy league. About time we had another club with a similar pedigree to the Albion in here.

That's a very clever post Jakester, overtly slagging off one team and being subtly sarcastic about another. Metternich would be so proud.

Just now, the_bully_wee said:

Flynn is now gone so yes, only Goodwillie, who's been civilly and not criminally convicted

Whenever I see the word convict being used, I have this black and white picture in my mind of someone doing hard manual labour whilst attached to a ball and chain. I've never associated it with a civil conviction, so I'm assuming that Goodwillie is technically a convict although personally I wouldn't colloquially refer to him as such................although I'm sure I'll be able to think of several other things to call him if he scores against us next season.

That's a very clever post Jakester, overtly slagging off one team and being subtly sarcastic about another. Metternich would be so proud.

Why thank you Spider. I'm just happy we might have some competition this season.

A final thought for the night the_bully_wee.

On your social justice scale, which off the following is worse?

• a criminally convicted drug dealer
  • a civilly convicted rapist
  • an unconvicted player who was chucked out your club in the 80s for lightening the pockets of his team-mates

8 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

Why thank you Spider. I'm just happy we might have some competition this season.

Now you're pushing it. My advice would be to quit while you're ahead or before this becomes a Stirling/QP Select v a Clyde/Berwick combo;). Actually, are you guys free for a new friendship derby this season, or are you reserving a place for Stenny just in case?

Now you're pushing it. My advice would be to quit while you're ahead or before this becomes a Stirling/QP Select v a Clyde/Berwick combo[emoji6]. Actually, are you guys free for a new friendship derby this season, or are you reserving a place for Stenny just in case?

We have no friends. Hated but rated mon the binos.

36 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Goodwillie has a conviction for assault from when he was at Dundee United I think. Presumably 'spent' now, though.

29 minutes ago, The Spider said:

A final thought for the night the_bully_wee.

On your social justice scale, which off the following is worse?

• a criminally convicted drug dealer
  • a civilly convicted rapist
  • an unconvicted player who was chucked out your club in the 80s for lightening the pockets of his team-mates

Regardless of context, my personal opinion would be, from most severe to least; rape, theft, drug dealing. With the caveat that those crimes were committed in isolation, and without further detail in any case.

Cheers for that. in complete honesty I would struggle to make one less worse than the others. I guess my point is that (assuming that all three were guilty), for me the convictions or lack of them are an irrelevance, and each one ranks with the lowest of the low in society. I would add that I would make the distinction that I would rank common theft at a lower level, but to steal from your friends and fellow pros is a despicable (although obviously less harmful) as drug dealing or rape in my view.

Out of interest did you know about whom I was referring? Obviously it's an unsubstantiated allegation insofar as I have no proof myself, but it was told to me by the son of a Clyde director of the time, and I believe that the club did a rather excellent job of hushing it up.

20 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Cheers for that. in complete honesty I would struggle to make one less worse than the others. I guess my point is that (assuming that all three were guilty), for me the convictions or lack of them are an irrelevance, and each one ranks with the lowest of the low in society. I would add that I would make the distinction that I would rank common theft at a lower level, but to steal from your friends and fellow pros is a despicable (although obviously less harmful) as drug dealing or rape in my view.

Out of interest did you know about whom I was referring? Obviously it's an unsubstantiated allegation insofar as I have no proof myself, but it was told to me by the son of a Clyde director of the time, and I believe that the club did a rather excellent job of hushing it up.

I think it depends largely on your personal viewpoints regarding theft and drug dealing. With theft, it all really depends on the circumstances (who/what/why); a penniless wife stealing a loaf of bread from a supermarket to feed her starving kids is nothing compared to a career criminal swiping money from a vulnerable elderly person. Drug dealing is also a more circumstantial one for me, as I personally believe that drugs should be legalised and regulated (as unlikely as that is to happen any time soon, for a plethora of reasons). Dealing pure, unadulterated drugs to people who are high-functioning in sensible quantities is obviously rather different to dealing copious amounts of rodent-poison-cut stuff to people clearly addled by addictions. Rape speaks for itself; in all cases, it's a disgusting act which can bring lasting and severe trauma to the victim. Norrie Innes is taking a lot of flak for his recent comments on Goodwillie, but I think he's bang on the money in saying that he deserve(s/d) a criminal trial to either clear his name (being falsely known as a rapist must be utterly soul-destroying) or be properly convicted of his purported crime (no amount of financial damages could ever serve as justice for such an act). Unfortunately, the act of rape is such that it's often very hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt. I don't think anyone other than Denise Clair, David Goodwillie and David Robertson can say even close to definitively whether a rape occurred that evening, which is truly saddening. Hopefully much better education about consent and sexual practices going forward (my sex education in a low-end state school which probably needed it the most amounted to my first year science teacher rewinding a video of a woman giving birth - this was in 2008) will help minimise the number of rapes which occur, and it becomes much less of an issue in society.

N.B. When thinking about my "ranking", I considered the "least severe" behaviour within each category.

On the dressing room theft thing, I've not got a clue who you're referring to, but have heard of numerous instances of such behaviour throughout my time (usually at junior/amateur clubs). 

Now. Let's draw a line under all this off-topic and frankly depressing nonsense and get back to rolling out the welcome mat for all of you lovely Queenies. We need to make the most of our time together, as I suspect that, the season after next, you lot will occupy a division two rungs below us.

9 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Now. Let's ........... get back to rolling out the welcome mat for all of you lovely Queenies. We need to make the most of our time together, as I suspect that, the season after next, you lot will occupy a division two rungs below us.

Fair enough. Now what makes you say that? A genuine belief (there's certainly historical precedent for having a horrendous season following relegation), or are you merely resorting to type?

If the former, then as I previously suggested it's far too soon for such rash predictions until we know who's steering the ship and who the crew are. In your case, will you be wasting money at the bookies until you know for sure whether Lennon and/or Badp***k are still going to be there?

Likewise, I'm not going to be having sleepless nights until I see whether Gus is prepared/allowed to give it another go, and whether in particular a decent Junior striker is prepared to gamble a season with us for potentially financially rewarding further career success, instead of the usual "unless you're going to pay me £150 a week I think I'll stay right here mate". Of course that's sensible if they are going to remain Junior/lower Senior all their career, or simply can't afford the drop in income. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of approaching the John Rankin's of this world (who incidentally lives in Airdrie and has stated he would rather play for a challenging lower league team than a struggling Championship team next season so you may have half a chance of landing that one if he sees a medal possibility next April).

If we can sign a taller (and more likely better) goalkeeper next season as well as a goalscorer (without having to go down the loan route for the umpteenth season in a row - a sore point for you I know), then I think we'll be in reasonable shape. We have an abundance of decent centre halves and capable midfielders, although of course things will largely depend on how large our traditional summer exodus is.

If we end up following your "tear it up and start again" pattern of recent seasons, then that suggests we would struggle for the first three months until they gelled in, so unless we had Cowden or another to prevent us from being isolated at the foot of the table then that would certainly be squeaky bum time, but we could just as easily be chasing a play-off spot at the other end. Without Cove or Peterhead to rock the boat, next year's League 2 has the potential to have the narrowest gap between top and bottom of any of the divisons, which would make for a very exciting and competitive league.

The other factor that could affect our fortunes is whether we are able to negotiate a fair and reasonable settlement with the SFA over Hampden or not, and whether Lesser Hampden is part of that. If we have to do like you did and move away from our spiritual heartland then that would divert a lot of focus away from onfield matters where it really needs to be with an LL trapdoor in place. At present we own a £75M stadium which (in rough terms) has depreciated to £35M since it was re-built (as is the case with most large stadia). However the SFA know that we can't afford to repay the Debentures which still have another 20 years to run, so we are between a rock and a hard place if a token £1M - £2M is what's on offer on a take it or leave it basis. Who knows maybe there's a foreign consortium waiting in the wings to offer us £1B for it!

So if we can emerge from those forthcoming negotiations with a favourable deal that secures our long term future, then next season might be rosy, But if we get screwed over that, need to find a new stadium with insufficient funds to do so and can't recruit new players because they won't get to play at Hampden then our long term future will look a lot bleaker. One irony in there though is that if our (or Scotland's for that matter) playing at Hampden is to cease in 2020, we might get a two year temporary bounce as decent players might be queuing up to sign for us for a season or two, just so they could have it on their CVs that they began/finished their careers playing on the hallowed turf.

So, too sum up, for us anyway (and I suspect virtually other club at present) it's way too way too early to be making sensible predictions about deluded glory or abject failure next season, which of course tells us a lot about your fans who continue to make a practice of it.............and not all of them as tongue in cheek as your own contributions!

12 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Is that when the magistrate is very polite and apologetic when he passes sentence?

... and whether in particular a decent Junior striker is prepared to gamble a season with us for potentially financially rewarding further career success, instead of the usual "unless you're going to pay me £150 a week I think I'll stay right here mate".

Why not offer them £150 expenses instead?

Fair enough. Now what makes you say that? A genuine belief (there's certainly historical precedent for having a horrendous season following relegation), or are you merely resorting to type?
If the former, then as I previously suggested it's far too soon for such rash predictions until we know who's steering the ship and who the crew are. In your case, will you be wasting money at the bookies until you know for sure whether Lennon and/or Badp***k are still going to be there?
Likewise, I'm not going to be having sleepless nights until I see whether Gus is prepared/allowed to give it another go, and whether in particular a decent Junior striker is prepared to gamble a season with us for potentially financially rewarding further career success, instead of the usual "unless you're going to pay me £150 a week I think I'll stay right here mate". Of course that's sensible if they are going to remain Junior/lower Senior all their career, or simply can't afford the drop in income. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of approaching the John Rankin's of this world (who incidentally lives in Airdrie and has stated he would rather play for a challenging lower league team than a struggling Championship team next season so you may have half a chance of landing that one if he sees a medal possibility next April).
If we can sign a taller (and more likely better) goalkeeper next season as well as a goalscorer (without having to go down the loan route for the umpteenth season in a row - a sore point for you I know), then I think we'll be in reasonable shape. We have an abundance of decent centre halves and capable midfielders, although of course things will largely depend on how large our traditional summer exodus is.
If we end up following your "tear it up and start again" pattern of recent seasons, then that suggests we would struggle for the first three months until they gelled in, so unless we had Cowden or another to prevent us from being isolated at the foot of the table then that would certainly be squeaky bum time, but we could just as easily be chasing a play-off spot at the other end. Without Cove or Peterhead to rock the boat, next year's League 2 has the potential to have the narrowest gap between top and bottom of any of the divisons, which would make for a very exciting and competitive league.
The other factor that could affect our fortunes is whether we are able to negotiate a fair and reasonable settlement with the SFA over Hampden or not, and whether Lesser Hampden is part of that. If we have to do like you did and move away from our spiritual heartland then that would divert a lot of focus away from onfield matters where it really needs to be with an LL trapdoor in place. At present we own a £75M stadium which (in rough terms) has depreciated to £35M since it was re-built (as is the case with most large stadia). However the SFA know that we can't afford to repay the Debentures which still have another 20 years to run, so we are between a rock and a hard place if a token £1M - £2M is what's on offer on a take it or leave it basis. Who knows maybe there's a foreign consortium waiting in the wings to offer us £1B for it!
So if we can emerge from those forthcoming negotiations with a favourable deal that secures our long term future, then next season might be rosy, But if we get screwed over that, need to find a new stadium with insufficient funds to do so and can't recruit new players because they won't get to play at Hampden then our long term future will look a lot bleaker. One irony in there though is that if our (or Scotland's for that matter) playing at Hampden is to cease in 2020, we might get a two year temporary bounce as decent players might be queuing up to sign for us for a season or two, just so they could have it on their CVs that they began/finished their careers playing on the hallowed turf.
So, too sum up, for us anyway (and I suspect virtually other club at present) it's way too way too early to be making sensible predictions about deluded glory or abject failure next season, which of course tells us a lot about your fans who continue to make a practice of it.............and not all of them as tongue in cheek as your own contributions!

Nearly had me crying there.
You forgot about the possibility of paying back pay to the players who never received a minimum wage.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Why not offer them £150 expenses instead?

If we had a goal-scoring centre-forward that we had to bring down from Shetland and put up in a hotel on a Friday night, then I absolutely would......subject to him providing the appropriate receipts first. Otherwise, what's your point caller?

17 minutes ago, The Clyde Man said:

Nearly had me crying there. You forgot about the possibility of paying back pay to the players who never received a minimum wage.

My memory's fine thanks, but at my age I appreciate your concern. Last time I checked, amateurs (£1 nominal SPFL requirement or otherwise) weren't due a minimum wage, but perhaps you have more legal experience in that area than me. I'm sure if we were guilty of anything untoward then both the League and the tax authorities would be down on us like a ton of bricks, but I doubt you are dumb enough to believe everything you read in the Daily Record. Nope, my mistake, you clearly are.

19 hours ago, BullyWeeLad said:

nothing of any importance

Aw, did one of the posts from the nasty QP man touch a wee nerve then precious?

Quite within your rights to like/dislike any post you choose sunshine, but if we all disliked every post we didn't agree with then there would be a lot of P&B IDs with negative scores! Personally II can't recall ever handing one out as I accept that if you give out stick then you should be man enough to take it back, and that applies at all levels of life. Equally I'd rather explain to a poster what I object to and why, rather than run to the school prefect at the first opportunity.

Still, that's your perogative and I'll get over it (eventually:bairn) but you're still a "snivelling little weasel" as a Clyde man with bigger balls than you would have wisely commented.

19 hours ago, The Spider said:

A very fat individual currently plying his trade down south, he was no loss for various reasons, released with other duds and replaced by the players who'd go on to win Div 2 by a record number of points the following season

Coincidentally the year we gave you a wee wave as you passed by us on the way down :whistle

36 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

A very fat individual currently plying his trade down south, he was no loss for various reasons, released with other duds and replaced by the players who'd go on to win Div 2 by a record number of points the following season

Coincidentally the year we gave you a wee wave as you passed by us on the way down :whistle

BC - All joking aside, I think you need to tread very careful there mate as you had two players on your books at the time with the same name, and I'm not convinced you've got the right one?

Archived