playoffs

I don't like the Premiership/Championship style staggered play-off, personally. We all know it was just introduced as a sop to the existing top-drawer teams, so they get a nice relaxing break before having to face a team already knackered by the extra games they've played, thus reducing their chances of victory. Not that it's always worked out so well for them  :lol:

I'd guess that you'd see a lot more defensive football from the higher-placed sides if they were to progress in the event of a draw, which would be a shame, considering the play-offs generally produce some of the most memorable games across the season.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Never been convinced about 4th place in a 10 team league getting a play-off place. Perhaps 3rd v 9th with the winner to face 2nd would be fairer, and would also give the side who finished 2nd a genuine advantage. In the existing system I'd also suggest that 2nd should go through if a tie finishes level over the 2 games, rather than going to penalties. There should more of a reward for what has happened over the league season.

:) still bitter I see

Aside from the routine of playing each other 4 times a season I think we are currently at the best league structure that avoids too many dead rubbers at the end of the season.  

Only changes I would make would be to make the Premiership play off the same as the leagues below and to make the final in each a one off game at a neutral venue. 

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I don't like the Premiership/Championship style staggered play-off, personally. We all know it was just introduced as a sop to the existing top-drawer teams, so they get a nice relaxing break before having to face a team already knackered by the extra games they've played, thus reducing their chances of victory. Not that it's always worked out so well for them  :lol:

I'd guess that you'd see a lot more defensive football from the higher-placed sides if they were to progress in the event of a draw, which would be a shame, considering the play-offs generally produce some of the most memorable games across the season.

The premier team don't get a break because they are still playing league games. The one good thing about the Premier/Championship system is that it is worthwhile finishing second rather than third or fourth. In the other divisions there is no great advantage in getting second place

55 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

The premier team don't get a break because they are still playing league games. The one good thing about the Premier/Championship system is that it is worthwhile finishing second rather than third or fourth. In the other divisions there is no great advantage in getting second place

Shows how much attention I've been paying  :lol:

I'm a bit more convinced by it now; I guess it favours the second-placed team a bit more, in that case. Obviously only works for the Premiership play-off, though.

The current set-up disadvantages part-time sides who want to progress. Two top leagues of 14 to 16 clubs would allow a second tier with a combination of part-time and full-time sides to survive and battle for a place in the top division where TV money and sponsorship would facilitate full-time football...

Quite like the NFL style play off, now copied by the English National Leagues where the team finishing higher in the table gets the advantage of being at home in a one off game. Advantages the team finishing higher which is only fair, and I think that would be more exciting than the home and away system, although I am a huge fan of the play offs.

I don't like the Premiership/Championship style staggered play-off, personally. We all know it was just introduced as a sop to the existing top-drawer teams, so they get a nice relaxing break before having to face a team already knackered by the extra games they've played, thus reducing their chances of victory. Not that it's always worked out so well for them  [emoji38]
Not much of an extra break given the Premiership season finishes the same weekend as the semi final.

16 hours ago, Waspie said:

Aye ;)

Nah, there should be more of a reward for finishing higher than just a home tie in the second leg. 

Tbh I agree with you, 1 off game semi/ final 2 home ties for team that finishes 2nd  gate money goes to home team I think that would be fair

11 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

The current set-up disadvantages part-time sides who want to progress. Two top leagues of 14 to 16 clubs would allow a second tier with a combination of part-time and full-time sides to survive and battle for a place in the top division where TV money and sponsorship would facilitate full-time football...

The object isn't to help part time teams though. It's to accommodate full time teams who have fùcked up.

Generally though, they do keep a bit of life in divisions. A format change and a one of final would be better, but clubs won't go for it, as they want as many home games as possible.

Like a lot of other issues, the Scottish game has painted itself in to a corner.

That word (playoffs) must send shivers down the spine of a Raith fan

As a fan of the currently under the weather Raith Rovers, I fucking hate the play offs. Five times we’ve had a go, five times we’ve failed. Maybe one day we’ll actually manage to win a play off. We’ll probably just lose in the play off final but at least we’d have made it there. f**k the play offs.

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

As a fan of the currently under the weather Raith Rovers, I fucking hate the play offs. Five times we’ve had a go, five times we’ve failed. Maybe one day we’ll actually manage to win a play off. We’ll probably just lose in the play off final but at least we’d have made it there. f**k the play offs.

You only finished in the play-offs because you managed to bottle a title win on the final day of the season, when only little Ayr were your only rivals. Perennial play-off failure is a just punishment then. 

Aside from the routine of playing each other 4 times a season I think we are currently at the best league structure that avoids too many dead rubbers at the end of the season.  

Only changes I would make would be to make the Premiership play off the same as the leagues below and to make the final in each a one off game at a neutral venue. 

Personally I’d prefer larger leagues like they have down South and do away with playing teams 4 times a season.

The play offs were exciting when we were finishing 4th and getting a chance but it was like the excitement of buying a lottery ticket or putting on an 8 team accumulator. Your heart tells you there’s a chance but your head is telling you there’s no chance it’s happening.

You only finished in the play-offs because you managed to bottle a title win on the final day of the season, when only little Ayr were your only rivals. Perennial play-off failure is a just punishment then. 

You are a obviously a man who keeps up to date with affairs in the lower leagues. I’m sure Barry Smith will have us back in the Championship in no time.

Ayr had to get the better of us sometime. Good luck to them. I’m glad for their ragtag collection of young neddy types on here that they’ve finally seen a trophy.

The obvious change needed to the current system is to reduce the number of places for League One clubs to enter the Championship. The record of the last pub team to have slithered up through them speaks for itself - zero wins in an entire season spent stinking out Scottish football's prestigious second tier. Dumbarton look likely to  confirm that there are in fact no clubs in the level below good enough to play in the second tier. The best thing for Scottish football then is to have the League One winners face a play-off with 10th in the Championship for the right to play in the second tier - in the same way that Highland bumpkins or Lowland League teams have to play Cowdenbeath each year to decide who plays in the national league.  This should continue until such a time that seaside leagues are no longer made up of utter dung football sides. 

The obvious change needed to the current system is to reduce the number of places for League One clubs to enter the Championship. The record of the last pub team to have slithered up through them speaks for itself - zero wins in an entire season spent stinking out Scottish football's prestigious second tier. Dumbarton look likely to  confirm that there are in fact no clubs in the level below good enough to play in the second tier. The best thing for Scottish football then is to have the League One winners face a play-off with 10th in the Championship for the right to play in the second tier - in the same way that Highland bumpkins or Lowland League teams have to play Cowdenbeath each year to decide who plays in the national league.  This should continue until such a time that seaside leagues are no longer made up of utter dung football sides. 

So when you won League One a few years back you’d have been happy if you were made to go into a play off with the bottom Championship side?

I know you’re basically a joke account but that’s possibly one of your best/worst post I’ve seen.

Although I’m fairly certain we’d have swept Brechin aside in your strange promotion playoff.

8 hours ago, somerset_lad said:

So when you won League One a few years back you’d have been happy if you were made to go into a play off with the bottom Championship side?

The Famous would have walked it anyway, but the division of our La Decima clinching campaig was clearly much stronger than one that currently spews out a winless Brechin City and perennial cannon-fodder like Ayr for more utter humiliation. It's only fair that the number of promotion spots should be changed to reflect that decline in standards. 

9 hours ago, virginton said:

You don't half spout an enormous amount of shite P&B's resident saddo.

On 5/10/2018 at 19:10, keptie said:

You don't half spout an enormous amount of shite P&B's resident saddo.

You've been lucky in not having to experience it for a full season.  He spent the entire campaign shouting loudly for Duffy's head and frequently posting pictures of the smug one from Masterchef.

VT bingo was fun though.

Archived