Threave hey done well to win the league but a think thev nae intention on wantin to gan up ive been hearing lucky theyve got the play of as safety because theyve got a load of players that didnt want to go up when they were doon this way so why wud they noo there happy being a big fish in a wee pond they kent they wud get a hard play of game so thats why they won tne league for bragging rights no for ambition no good signs when the manager and player dont wont to better themsels is that whit our game has cum to in south

10 hours ago, Oldstriker⚽️⚽️ said:

Mr Kirkcudbright you don’t half spout some shite

Disappointing game yesterday. There was no evidence of any creative, free flowing football. Threave seemed contented to sit deep and hit on the counter attack, which in reality never really happened. They had on shot which troubled the Hears keeper early on but no more shots on target that I can remember. Kelty hit Threave early in the second half with two quick goals which killed the game off.The distribution of the ball from the keeper and back three was poor and Threave gave up possession of the ball cheaply. In the last twenty minutes or so, Kelty seemed to relax and start to try and play better football. Kelty have run up cricket scores in the EOS league this season, but on this showing will need a change of personnel to compete in a higher league. Good turnout of supporters today with a large travelling support.

Spot on but Threave must have been disappointed at the turnout which as far as I could make out consisted of Kelty supporters and folk from other South teams . Very few from CD.

3 hours ago, left half said:

Disappointing game yesterday. There was no evidence of any creative, free flowing football. Threave seemed contented to sit deep and hit on the counter attack, which in reality never really happened. They had on shot which troubled the Hears keeper early on but no more shots on target that I can remember. Kelty hit Threave early in the second half with two quick goals which killed the game off.The distribution of the ball from the keeper and back three was poor and Threave gave up possession of the ball cheaply. In the last twenty minutes or so, Kelty seemed to relax and start to try and play better football. Kelty have run up cricket scores in the EOS league this season, but on this showing will need a change of personnel to compete in a higher league. Good turnout of supporters today with a large travelling support.

I think their current squad could easily be one of the front runners, not saying winning it as such, but should be good enough to see off the absolute dross in LL bottom half.  Is that not competing?

On 06/05/2018 at 09:46, info said:

Spot on but Threave must have been disappointed at the turnout which as far as I could make out consisted of Kelty supporters and folk from other South teams . Very few from CD.

Yeah I thought it was a very disappointing turn out for them. Definitely more Kelty fans there plus myself, my wife and my brother as neutrals.

Great pies and facilities as normal but unfortunately a very lacklustre performance from Threave.

Does anyone from the SoS League seriously want promotion?

Not a criticism, but...no one in the league appears terribly bothered.

There is a scenario whereby the top SoS teams are invited to join the nascent West of Scotland League at Tier 6, with the SoS dropping to Tier 7 and the only access to the LL being through the WoS and tier 6.

On the face of it that would be a bit of a slap in the face to the SoS, but its current standing in the pyramid must be under question when so few of its members actually seem to want to progress beyond it. A pity, as it would be great to see clubs like Threave, St. Cuthbert & co. pushing on.

Does anyone from the SoS League seriously want promotion?
Not a criticism, but...no one in the league appears terribly bothered.
There is a scenario whereby the top SoS teams are invited to join the nascent West of Scotland League at Tier 6, with the SoS dropping to Tier 7 and the only access to the LL being through the WoS and tier 6.
On the face of it that would be a bit of a slap in the face to the SoS, but its current standing in the pyramid must be under question when so few of its members actually seem to want to progress beyond it. A pity, as it would be great to see clubs like Threave, St. Cuthbert & co. pushing on.

Where are the rumours of this WoS league coming from ?? It’s all just myth?? As for teams getting promoted am sure there are a few in the league that want to progress.

It's not really rumour. Serious discussions are underway to form a WoS league starting in 2019/20; there is even a (slight) possibility it may happen for next season. (there's lots of chat about it in the monster "Junior Football What is the Future" discussion in the juniors forum). Clydebank, for example, are committed to leaving the juniors at the end of next season, but if no progress is made in forming a WoS league, they will join the East of Scotland League. I am sure the top juniors plus SFA licensed clubs will shape that league's first season and it would surprise me if SoS clubs are not approached at any stage to gauge interest.

Experience so far shows no one in the SoS beyond maybe two clubs are really interested in progressing further.

It's fine if the SoS clubs feel they don't have the money or infrastructure, or desire to travel, to progress to the LL. Threave struggled badly in it, although Dalbeattie have done better (the current poor season being an exception). The question is, should a league where such clubs seem to for the vast majority have direct access to the LL.

It's not really rumour. Serious discussions are underway to form a WoS league starting in 2019/20; there is even a (slight) possibility it may happen for next season. (there's lots of chat about it in the monster "Junior Football What is the Future" discussion in the juniors forum). Clydebank, for example, are committed to leaving the juniors at the end of next season, but if no progress is made in forming a WoS league, they will join the East of Scotland League. I am sure the top juniors plus SFA licensed clubs will shape that league's first season and it would surprise me if SoS clubs are not approached at any stage to gauge interest.
Experience so far shows no one in the SoS beyond maybe two clubs are really interested in progressing further.
It's fine if the SoS clubs feel they don't have the money or infrastructure, or desire to travel, to progress to the LL. Threave struggled badly in it, although Dalbeattie have done better (the current poor season being an exception). The question is, should a league where such clubs seem to for the vast majority have direct access to the LL.

Why would they be joining the east and not the south .. can we see the link about this “serious discussion “ . East Kilbride were going to be joining the south, Bonnyton have so why can’t they ?? Until I had I doubt it very much.

A lot is made of clubs in the SOS league not wanting promotion but how many clubs in the EOS want promotion? Leith and LTHV have both won the league in recent years yet neither currently have a licence.
The SOS had provided two licenced league winners in the past two seasons, one club now promoted, where as the EOS has only done that this season.
Clubs in D&G are criticised for not have aspirations to progress to the LL and beyond their current regional boundaries, etc yet a WOS league is a must and has to be created because it’s unfair to expect clubs from the greater Glasgow area to travel to deepest, darkest D&G every other week. That smacks of double standards if nothing else. The SOS has already accepted central belt based teams so they are showing it’s not a closed shop to D&G teams.
Clubs have to live within their means to ensure they survive first and foremost. Only then can they prosper. Some clubs will simply never be in a position able to achieve LL status on or off the field

17 minutes ago, CH86 said:

A lot is made of clubs in the SOS league not wanting promotion but how many clubs in the EOS want promotion? Leith and LTHV have both won the league in recent years yet neither currently have a licence.
The SOS had provided two licenced league winners in the past two seasons, one club now promoted, where as the EOS has only done that this season.
Clubs in D&G are criticised for not have aspirations to progress to the LL and beyond their current regional boundaries, etc yet a WOS league is a must and has to be created because it’s unfair to expect clubs from the greater Glasgow area to travel to deepest, darkest D&G every other week. That smacks of double standards if nothing else. The SOS has already accepted central belt based teams so they are showing it’s not a closed shop to D&G teams.
Clubs have to live within their means to ensure they survive first and foremost. Only then can they prosper. Some clubs will simply never be in a position able to achieve LL status on or off the field

LTHV will have a licence pretty soon. That's not to mention the thirteen junior and amateur clubs joining this year (at present headcount) of whom half a dozen at least aren;t just there to make up the numbers but to push on as much as they can.

I think you're maybe misconstruing the WoS feeder argument. It's an area soaked in football clubs yet the only one without direct access to the LL; the need only arose with the creation of the LL. As you rightly point out Glasgow/ Ayrshire clubs have joined the league in the recent past, but it's probably unreasonable to expect SoS to absorb 12-16 clubs in one fell swoop. I doubt any new WoS league will be a "closed shop" for D&G teams wishing to take part in it, either.

The final point surely is that "prosperity" has to be understood in context. For many teams in the SoS competing in that league to a good standard is prosperity. Fair enough. However, should such a league be just one step below the Lowland League? The formation of a WoS may see that question asked seriously.

1 hour ago, Beardyman said:

Why would they be joining the east and not the south .. can we see the link about this “serious discussion “ . East Kilbride were going to be joining the south, Bonnyton have so why can’t they ?? Until I had I doubt it very much.

Tbf, it's fact not just rumour - Clydebank publically announced their application to EOSL for 2019-20. Dundonald Bluebell also made such a deferred application.

http://www.clydebankfc.com/club-statement-3/

UCS Trust members have given their backing to a proposal from the Trust board to implement the recent fans’ vote for the club to join the Scottish FA pyramid.

The redevelopment of Holm Park means that no move can take place in time for next season, so the club will apply to the East of Scotland league for entry for the 2019/2020 season.

At a meeting of the UCS Trust on Sunday, members overwhelmingly approved the board’s strategy.

26 minutes ago, CH86 said:

how many clubs in the EOS want promotion? Leith and LTHV have both won the league in recent years yet neither currently have a licence.

Tbf, both would bite your arm off for a licence. LTHV are apparently very close.

39 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

LTHV will have a licence pretty soon. That's not to mention the thirteen junior and amateur clubs joining this year (at present headcount) of whom half a dozen at least aren;t just there to make up the numbers but to push on as much as they can.

I think you're maybe misconstruing the WoS feeder argument. It's an area soaked in football clubs yet the only one without direct access to the LL; the need only arose with the creation of the LL. As you rightly point out Glasgow/ Ayrshire clubs have joined the league in the recent past, but it's probably unreasonable to expect SoS to absorb 12-16 clubs in one fell swoop. I doubt any new WoS league will be a "closed shop" for D&G teams wishing to take part in it, either.

The final point surely is that "prosperity" has to be understood in context. For many teams in the SoS competing in that league to a good standard is prosperity. Fair enough. However, should such a league be just one step below the Lowland League? The formation of a WoS may see that question asked seriously.

On the point about the SoS absorbing 12 or more clubs in a single season as unreasonable. The EoS has just done that this year. There's nothing to stop the SoS from doing the same if they wanted.

Archived