Cove v's Cowdenbeath / Cowdenbeath v's Cove

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congratulations to Cowdenbeath. Commiserations to Cove.

It must be said that Cove had the possession, pressure and chances to be 2 or 3 goals up at HT. Given reports of similar dominance and profligacy in the first leg, they should have been done & dusted long before the fateful refereeing decisions appeared.

Nevertheless I feel very sorry for Cove due to the circumstances which turned a lead into defeat. During the 2nd half the stand side linesman seemed to go to pieces and amidst this he looked to be responsible for 2 horrendous decisions. Sheerin played for the free kick that caused the equaliser - he put his feet together, hopped and fell like a tossed caber, but the body slam he was expecting never came and if there was any contact from the defender it didn't look significant. I'm pretty sure his instantaneous reaction to the linesman flagging was that he was about to get booked for diving - only to discover he had indeed won a foul. That said it was poorly defended and went through the everyone - attacked and defender alike - like a bouncing bomb, and in for 2-2.

Those sort of decisions are perhaps debateable, but unfortunately the winner appeared a sheer shambles. I'll be interested to see the highlights but it seemed totally obvious that Sheerin had brought down the goalkeeper leaving another player to strike the ball into an undefended net. I think the referee may have been beyond them, and the terracing side linesman and 4th official might have been too far away or unsighted: but again the stand side was looking right at it. It actually took some time for the Cove fans to realise the referee had blown and gestured for a goal and not the free kick which everyone expected. 3-2. Mayhem.

However, whilst this sense of grievance no doubt explains why Cove totally lost it at the end, it is nevertheless neither justifies nor condones it. Their discipline totally broke down so we were "treated" to someone being booked for a heavy challenge, them promptly earning a straight red for gross dissent; a 20-odd man melee that even WWF could have considered too far-fetched; at least 2 more red cards and the manager being sent to the stand. At one point a steward came on the field to remove a Cove player (is that actually allowed btw), and at FT the same steward ended-up acting as "guard dog" for the match officials - which of course only added to the conspiracy theories of the more energised Cove fans. Great entertainment for the neutral, but doing no credit to those involved.

I think the Cowdenbeath players goading and gesturing the Cove fans at FT was pretty unnecessary - I don't remember such last year v EK, if anything it was simply a respectful relief - but again the fisticuffs just before probably explain their ebullience.

Cowdenbeath live to fight again. Cove must do it all again.

If anything today's circumstances - for both sides - simply reinforced my feeling that SPFL2 promotion/relegation must be opened-up beyond 1 playoff.

Finally - for the second year running, and in a different part of the ground, there was no running water in the toilets. Really not good enough - and I'd say that of any SPFL2 ground including us at Berwick if it happened here.

Pretty much the fairest way I could have summed up the game. An accurate and fair description of events.

Having officiated to junior level in the past, have a lot of respect for the guys who officiate. But I can't defend it today. Lost control totally. Looked a game well beyond the competence of the stand side AR and referee.

1 minute ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Pretty much the fairest way I could have summed up the game. An accurate and fair description of events.

Having officiated to junior level in the past, have a lot of respect for the guys who officiate. But I can't defend it today. Lost control totally. Looked a game well beyond the competence of the stand side AR and referee.

Sadly, the officials seem to be getting worse, but then we would not have a game if not for them. Not too many people interested in officiating. I didn't think they were too bad. They can't really prevent a melee like at the end.

40 minutes ago, PRS said:

Cove were far ahead in the first half and there did look like a league between the teams, with Cove looking the team from the higher league.  Second half, Cowden certainly improved but their victory had more to do with Cove just not turning up in the second half.

No, it was down to a change of tactics. In the first half, Cove hoofed the ball in the air most of the time, and Cowden didn't cope very well. The Cowden penalty came because wee Robbie ran at the lumbering Cove defenders and was brought down. In the second half Cowden  played fitba on the ground at pace and the slow Cove defence couldn't handle it.  Over the piece, Cowden proved the bookies wrong, coming from behind to win well. In his rant, the Cove manager never gave the Blue Brazil any credit. He seriously embarrassed himself and his club.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer said:

There was an interview on BBC Radio Scotland's Off the Ball, he didn't come over at all well.

Just heard the interview there just now - I agree completely, that was a very blunt piece of audio by Sheran. 

I think it is sad that he felt he couldn' speak with the majority of the press upstairs. I'm presuming he has some sort of mandatory agreement to do the BBC and local paper(s) which is fair enough but to not give the same courtesy to the other journalists is a bit unfair imo. 

I completely understand his frustrations and I have sympathy with him in that regard, but, to just exit the stadium and not have the courtesy to at least face the main congregation of media is disappointing tbh. It was Gary Bollan who made everyone aware of the situation when he spoke to us all, but, that's football. 

I wish Cove well for next season, I'm sure they will be in or around the pyramid playoffs again in 12 months time. Safe journey home for all of their supporters. 

Phew! That was madness. From what I saw when cove played football in the first half we couldn't get near them. Second half after we equalised they reverted to late tackles and throwing punches. Spent the whole of injury time fighting which was an odd tactic. Our boys did incredibly well in the second half. Third goal, I saw the keeper and our boy on the deck. Genuinely didn't see what happened. Mon the cowden!

Sadly, the officials seem to be getting worse, but then we would not have a game if not for them. Not too many people interested in officiating. I didn't think they were too bad. They can't really prevent a melee like at the end.

There's a reason they are getting worse, but I'm not prepared to say why in an open forum. Also the reason why I jacked it in.

They lost control because they missed the biggest decision of the game. It's not a surprise given why they are getting worse.

Plenty good guys take up the whistle but are quitting due to the way things are done.

30 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Cove are notoriously bad losers. Upon blowing the league last season, they also had three sent off along with their manager.

Some ginger c**t on the platform is moaning about his train being cancelled. Clown.

I can hear the stock car race. What a day. What a venue. :lol:

Brilliant!! Where else could you read a post like this, but in Scotland, thanks, Jimmy!!

Just now, BucksburnDandy said:

There's a reason they are getting worse, but I'm not prepared to say why in an open forum. Also the reason why I jacked it in.

They lost control because they missed the biggest decision of the game. It's not a surprise given why they are getting worse.

Plenty good guys take up the whistle but are quitting due to the way things are done.

Hopefully see highlights re the third goal. Not sure if there was any foul play or not.

Bitching about officials is meaningless. Cove should have had this tie won after 90 minutes. They didn’t. They HAD it won after 135 minutes, then threw it away. f**k all to do with referees. Cove blew it - big time

10 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I can imagine. The whole set-up in Scotland is gash.

1 minute ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Heard unofficially that there was no way Cove were winning that today.  ....................Hence the 2nd half heads gone from the officials as mentioned earlier. 

Other than the winning goal (and I would need to see highlights to see if there was any real infringement), I didn't think the officials were poor.

5 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Heard unofficially that there was no way Cove were winning that today.  ....................Hence the 2nd half heads gone from the officials as mentioned earlier. 

Deary me.

Look, Cove failed to score a single goal in the first leg at home.  Moaning about missed chances is irrelevant. You don't get goals for missed chances.

Today,  Cowden came from behind and beat Cove by playing better football on the ground in the second half. The Cove defence was poor.

This conspiracy stuff is pathetic. 

Well I enjoyed that. Glorious day and a game that wasn't short on entertainment from start to finish. The third Cowden goal was as bizarre as I've ever seen. Looked to me that Sheerin was fouled as he chased the ball, and I have no idea how the officials missed him clean out the keeper on his way back. Cove lost the plot at the end, what a way to end a game. 

Full thoughts https://piesontheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/05/12/cowdenbeath-v-cove-rangers/

Just now, theoriginalhedge said:

Hmmm!   Food for thought there. :whistle

I am not sure there was anything wrong with the goal. Also, the Cove equalizer looked well offside.

1 minute ago, gogsy said:

With you being a Brechin fan somebody will have to explain to you what a winning goal is.

Aye  correct and that doesn't look like changing next season either.  Hey ho  at least we have another season before we are in Cowden's position. ;)

Archived