Cove v's Cowdenbeath / Cowdenbeath v's Cove

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Don't have a problem with Megginson's sour grapes but the comments from the reporter are just ridiculous.

Which comments ?  The foul on the keeper  for the controversial winner is surely not ridiculous given that all the neutrals witnessed it as well ............while most of the Cowden fans chose not to have seen it !! :rolleyes::lol:

I must admit I quite like this bit:

"With 96 minutes played, Milne headed a Cove corner over the bar, before the afternoon descended into pandemonium.

Both teams’ coaching staff and benches were on the pitch as players pushed and shouted at each other near the Beath dug-out after one of their players held on to the ball. There also looked to be arms and maybe even headbutts thrown."

Which completely negates to mention the fact that the whole incident kicked off because a Cove player put a Cowdenbeath boy into his own dug out with a late challenge. Apart from that carry on.

50 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Which comments ?  The foul on the keeper  for the controversial winner is surely not ridiculous given that all the neutrals witnessed it as well ............while most of the Cowden fans chose not to have seen it !! :rolleyes::lol:

The comments about the fouls. And the omission of the challenge on the Cowden player which was as bad as you ‘ ll see. Not mentioned by the paper. The fact that the Cove fans were chanting cheat, cheat for the whole game.

Who are all the neutrals? Were you there and saw it? 

Read the post above from a Rovers fan. 

Stop trying to be a smart arse

Mitch Megginson 

Spoiler

The boys have given everything all season and you get to this point – if we lost we’re gracious in defeat and that’s how it is, but to lose like that is so hard to take.

gracious.png.2dc61820fa4b400644af577957d0e90a.png

Would hate to see them if they weren't gracious in defeat.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

The comments about the fouls. And the omission of the challenge on the Cowden player which was as bad as you ‘ ll see. Not mentioned by the paper. The fact that the Cove fans were chanting cheat, cheat for the whole game.

What about the Cowden players being being "unsporting taunting the Aberdeen supporters":lol: 

Cove are hardly sporting having 3 players sent off and their manager calling the match officials, SFA and SPFL cheats as well as the comment on their facebook on Saturday night:lol:

6 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

The Evening Express sports department is nowt but a fanzine for Cove, the rest of the SHFL gets no cut from it. Fair enough, as it’s a Toonser paper, but it prints what Covers want to read.

The Cove fans I spoke to on Saturday had the hump with the refereeing for the winner but were pretty sheepish about the scenes at the end.

Is that a deliberate pun Jimmy:lol:

I can’t recall any team whinging and moaning as much as Cove Rangers have done. Their one sided view on the game and decisions made by officials is really quite disgraceful. They simply refuse to accept they have been beaten fair and square. They had two chances to beat the team that finished bottom of the Scottish league and they came up short on both occasions. It’s not the first time they have complained about officials as they did the same when they lost to Edinburgh City. They should be taken to task by the authorities as they are questioning the integrity of the referee and assistants at the game on Saturday. The tie did not hinge on one alleged foul on the keeper. The tie hinged on their inability to keep a lead they had. Cove were outplayed in the second half. That’s how they lost the tie.

Because there wasn't any cheating. I can't put it into words just how pathetic Sheran, Megginson and some of their supporters on social media have been. The officials made an arse of the third goal, but it is simply not cheating. We've been on the wrong end of a huge amount of harsh decisions the past couple of seasons with completely inept performances from officials - for once we've had the rub of the green this time and it's been amazing.

I had absolutely no ill feeling towards Cove, or any feeling atall to be honest before the game. Had they won, we couldn't have complained and I would have wished them well in replacing us. However I hope they completely f**k it now, get hammered for the comments and fail to win their league next season.

16 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

That was in the Scotland on Sunday yesterday. Written by the boy who used to do The Absolute Game fanzine back in the day.

Yes, totally, a fair reflection on how it panned out. They failed to score umpteen times from 5 yards over the two legs and Brad Smith slots in the winner from 30+ yards.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Here are a few . 

On 5/12/2018 at 20:12, Craig the Hunter said:

Well I enjoyed that. Glorious day and a game that wasn't short on entertainment from start to finish. The third Cowden goal was as bizarre as I've ever seen. Looked to me that Sheerin was fouled as he chased the ball, and I have no idea how the officials missed him clean out the keeper on his way back. Cove lost the plot at the end, what a way to end a game. 

Full thoughts https://piesontheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/05/12/cowdenbeath-v-cove-rangers/

On 5/12/2018 at 20:35, parsforlife said:

Felt it was a blatant foul for the winner.

However apart from that all the other decisions, whilst a fair percentage were wrong fell within 'I can see why he gave/didn't give that' category. It's far easier to give a ref leeway as a neutral but I've seen a lot worse this season. Cove's 'it's a conspiracy' stuff just looks stupid, I know managers can sometimes use the everyone's against us tactic to motivate players but I don't see who it helps with the season over.

Cowden got the luck today. I don't think the result can justify not introducing automatic relegation but that's not cowden's responsibility and are quite rightly enjoying their night.

On 5/12/2018 at 21:01, ilostmyself said:

Went along as a neutral today in the Cove end as i had a soft spot for them after we played them in the cup. Thoroughly enjoyed it, heads gone and all.

Same as most folk have said, Cove bossed the first half and Cowdenbeath didn't seem to have much about them. Heavy suspicions of offside for one of Coves goals though.

Second half was the reverse with Cowdens defence taking a step back and dealing with Coves hoofball well. It just seemed like nothing went right for Cove second half. Missed the foul for the equaliser so cant comment on that, honking goal to concede though.
The winner was a joke, absolutely amazed they didn't call for a foul on the keeper as it seemed blatant. Still, it happened and there was a lot still to play for in the remaining 20+ minutes but Cove lost the head and created nothing at all except one of the best collective heads gones seen in the SPFL.

Tremendously fun game to watch and well done to Cowdenbeath for staying up. Cove will head back up the road cursing the ref but a more professional performance could have seen them equalise.

On 5/12/2018 at 19:29, HibeeJibee said:

Congratulations to Cowdenbeath. Commiserations to Cove.

It must be said that Cove had the possession, pressure and chances to be 2 or 3 goals up at HT. Given reports of similar dominance and profligacy in the first leg, they should have been done & dusted long before the fateful refereeing decisions appeared.

Nevertheless I feel very sorry for Cove due to the circumstances which turned a lead into defeat. During the 2nd half the stand side linesman seemed to go to pieces and amidst this he looked to be responsible for 2 horrendous decisions. Sheerin played for the free kick that caused the equaliser - he put his feet together, hopped and fell like a tossed caber, but the body slam he was expecting never came and if there was any contact from the defender it didn't look significant. I'm pretty sure his instantaneous reaction to the linesman flagging was that he was about to get booked for diving - only to discover he had indeed won a foul. That said it was poorly defended and went through the everyone - attacked and defender alike - like a bouncing bomb, and in for 2-2.

Those sort of decisions are perhaps debateable, but unfortunately the winner appeared a sheer shambles. I'll be interested to see the highlights but it seemed totally obvious that Sheerin had brought down the goalkeeper leaving another player to strike the ball into an undefended net. I think the referee may have been beyond them, and the terracing side linesman and 4th official might have been too far away or unsighted: but again the stand side was looking right at it. It actually took some time for the Cove fans to realise the referee had blown and gestured for a goal and not the free kick which everyone expected. 3-2. Mayhem.

However, whilst this sense of grievance no doubt explains why Cove totally lost it at the end, it is nevertheless neither justifies nor condones it. Their discipline totally broke down so we were "treated" to someone being booked for a heavy challenge, them promptly earning a straight red for gross dissent; a 20-odd man melee that even WWF could have considered too far-fetched; at least 2 more red cards and the manager being sent to the stand. At one point a steward came on the field to remove a Cove player (is that actually allowed btw), and at FT the same steward ended-up acting as "guard dog" for the match officials - which of course only added to the conspiracy theories of the more energised Cove fans. Great entertainment for the neutral, but doing no credit to those involved.

I think the Cowdenbeath players goading and gesturing the Cove fans at FT was pretty unnecessary - I don't remember such last year v EK, if anything it was simply a respectful relief - but again the fisticuffs just before probably explain their ebullience.

Cowdenbeath live to fight again. Cove must do it all again.

If anything today's circumstances - for both sides - simply reinforced my feeling that SPFL2 promotion/relegation must be opened-up beyond 1 playoff.

Finally - for the second year running, and in a different part of the ground, there was no running water in the toilets. Really not good enough - and I'd say that of any SPFL2 ground including us at Berwick if it happened here.

On 5/12/2018 at 19:35, tbsouth said:

Gutted for Cove, harshly treated but well done to the traveling Forfar fans who witnessed Bollan being a c**t again. (no running water should mean a massive fine)

On 5/12/2018 at 19:41, BucksburnDandy said:

Pretty much the fairest way I could have summed up the game. An accurate and fair description of events.

Having officiated to junior level in the past, have a lot of respect for the guys who officiate. But I can't defend it today. Lost control totally. Looked a game well beyond the competence of the stand side AR and referee.

On 5/12/2018 at 19:51, BucksburnDandy said:

There's a reason they are getting worse, but I'm not prepared to say why in an open forum. Also the reason why I jacked it in.

They lost control because they missed the biggest decision of the game. It's not a surprise given why they are getting worse.

Plenty good guys take up the whistle but are quitting due to the way things are done.

23 minutes ago, onecowden said:

I can’t recall any team whinging and moaning as much as Cove Rangers have done. Their one sided view on the game and decisions made by officials is really quite disgraceful. They simply refuse to accept they have been beaten fair and square. They had two chances to beat the team that finished bottom of the Scottish league and they came up short on both occasions. It’s not the first time they have complained about officials as they did the same when they lost to Edinburgh City. They should be taken to task by the authorities as they are questioning the integrity of the referee and assistants at the game on Saturday. The tie did not hinge on one alleged foul on the keeper. The tie hinged on their inability to keep a lead they had. Cove were outplayed in the second half. That’s how they lost the tie.

I would be embarrased if we had a manager who came out with the pish Sheran came out with.

47 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Here are a few . 

Well done seven. Two from them from the same Cove fan another one doesn’t mention the “incident” another one from a Pars fan, aye he would be neutral. So you’ve got a barrowload of comments.

You’ve also got no idea what went on so just leave it before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

Bottom line is Cove should have won but completely imploded second half and disgraced themselves in the process.

Yes, totally, a fair reflection on how it panned out. They failed to score umpteen times from 5 yards over the two legs and Brad Smith slots in the winner from 30+ yards.

Easy to do when your striker has cleaned out their keeper.

Archived