Cove v's Cowdenbeath / Cowdenbeath v's Cove

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reporting by the Aberdeen media is laughable and they are pandering to the “ everyone out to get us “ mentality.

Buckie were  involved in a mass brawl last season at end of game when going out to EK and now Cove do exactly the same . Seems to be a bit of a pattern there with HL Clubs.

What’s the SFA President and former Cove Chairman Alan McCrae got to say about this SFA conspiracy  against the HL.?

The Evening Express sports department is nowt but a fanzine for Cove, the rest of the SHFL gets no cut from it. Fair enough, as it’s a Toonser paper, but it prints what Covers want to read.

The Cove fans I spoke to on Saturday had the hump with the refereeing for the winner but were pretty sheepish about the scenes at the end.

55 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Good point.

Throughout the history of Scottish football there have generally been times when one team in particular has finished bottom of the lowest league for an extended period.

Albion Rovers, Forfar, East Stirling, Brechin, Montrose and quite a few other teams have spent quite a few years struggling at the foot of the table. If we had automatic relegation every season how many of them would exist now ?

Don't forget that only a few years ago Cowden were a Championship side. Maybe in another few years they will be again, who knows ?

The play-off system is designed to give a lower league team the opportunity to get up into the top leagues, if good enough. I think that's fair enough at the moment.

If a team cannot survive relegation then that is their problem. It is not a reason to make it more difficult for them to go down. You'd be as well scrapping relegation altogether at all levels if you follow your line of thought there.

12 minutes ago, Ross. said:

If a team cannot survive relegation then that is their problem. It is not a reason to make it more difficult for them to go down. You'd be as well scrapping relegation altogether at all levels if you follow your line of thought there.

Don’t argue with those talking about automatic relegation but it needs to be a level playing field with HL and LL

Cove were able to field trialists and amateurs for thier last few games to rest players. Cowden couldn’t do that as only signed players can play after a certain date under spfl rules.

well known in the non spfl leagues  that players are given substantial cash in hand payments to avoid tax while spfl clubs have to submit accounts.

SPFL clubs can’t make as much money from thier bar takings as laws apply. This doesn’t apply to non spfl clubs. I know of one who charge £20 admission and free beer all game.

6 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

Don’t argue with those talking about automatic relegation but it needs to be a level playing field with HL and LL

Cove were able to field trialists and amateurs for thier last few games to rest players. Cowden couldn’t do that as only signed players can play after a certain date under spfl rules.

well known in the non spfl leagues  that players are given substantial cash in hand payments to avoid tax while spfl clubs have to submit accounts.

SPFL clubs can’t make as much money from thier bar takings as laws apply. This doesn’t apply to non spfl clubs. I know of one who charge £20 admission and free beer all game.

The first point I won't argue with.

The second point is nothing like the way it used to be. HMRC cracked down massively on this in the last decade and it is not longer a substantial issue. It may still happen, but only to the same extent that league clubs can also get away with.

What laws apply on bar takings that mean SPFL clubs cannot make as much money?

15 minutes ago, Ross. said:

The first point I won't argue with.

The second point is nothing like the way it used to be. HMRC cracked down massively on this in the last decade and it is not longer a substantial issue. It may still happen, but only to the same extent that league clubs can also get away with.

What laws apply on bar takings that mean SPFL clubs cannot make as much money?

Can’t sell alcohol at a spfl football ground. It’s against the law. 

Just now, Brazilianlex said:

Can’t sell alcohol at a spfl football ground. It’s against the law. 

Plenty of clubs have social clubs or bars attached to the ground. That is the same set up that is allowed in the Juniors/LL/EOS.

56 minutes ago, Ross. said:

It has not been made more difficult for them to go down - there was no relegation for donkey's years now there is a play off so a club can  now be relegated.  Thus it is clearly easier to go down now

Just now, Cowden Cowboy said:

It has not been made more difficult for them to go down - there was no relegation for donkey's years now there is a play off so a club can  now be relegated.  Thus it is clearly easier to go down now

Aye, but that wasn't the point that I highlighted so this answer makes no sense.

The revolution is unstoppable now guys have you seen the list of teams applying to the EOS? They smell League Status, we all need to 'pull the finnger oot' or it's fitba' North(or South)for most of us diddies I'm afraid.

Edit 1300 turned up to watched Kelty win the EOS this year

13 minutes ago, dougster said:

That's like saying 1700 turned out to watch us stay up. Crowds are normally a lot bigger for meaningful end of seaso  games.

37 minutes ago, dougster said:

The revolution is unstoppable now guys have you seen the list of teams applying to the EOS? They smell League Status, we all need to 'pull the finnger oot' or it's fitba' North(or South)for most of us diddies I'm afraid.

This, with junior clubs now queueing up to get into the senior pyramid there will be a lot of pressure to make it automatic relegation from league two with the winners of tbe lowland/highland league replacing them. The bottom two divisions in the SPFL will look a lot different in 10/15 years time.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

The Evening Express sports department is nowt but a fanzine for Cove, the rest of the SHFL gets no cut from it. Fair enough, as it’s a Toonser paper, but it prints what Covers want to read.

The Cove fans I spoke to on Saturday had the hump with the refereeing for the winner but were pretty sheepish about the scenes at the end.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/shine-taken-off-their-fine-seasoncove-feel-robbed-over-winner1/

Archived