The 2018/2019 New Kit Thread

32 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Why do mirren fans insist on calling their team Saints?  Is it just a wind up?  I keep thinking they're talking about us when I first read it.  You're the buddies.

We're St Johnstone, they're Saint Mirren. 

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Why do mirren fans insist on calling their team Saints?  Is it just a wind up?  I keep thinking they're talking about us when I first read it.  You're the buddies.

Because we were formed in 1877, and your cheap imitations were formed in 1884. 

Get your own nickname...

53 minutes ago, JimmyMirren said:

Get your own nickname...

Nobody in the history of Humankind has ever wanted to imitate anything that has ever come out of Paisley mate, and that includes that stinking design you get on yer PJ's once you start pishing yerself as an old man. 

On the topic of nicknames, where does 'The Buddies' come from out of interest?

I'm often intrigued by the meaning of Scottish football clubs' nicknames, for example can anyone explain why Dunfermline are called 'The Pars'? I always joked it's because they’re bang average.

Also, I'm well aware that our nickname 'The Saintees' is unimaginative and pish!

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

This is utter pish. Celtic and Deadco (and nowSevco) have been changing their strips every season for years. 

A salient point were it not for the fact that Rangers wore the same strip the past two years

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

A salient point were it not for the fact that Rangers wore the same strip the past two years

Because fans boycotted the shirts in the first season due to Mike Ashley taking like 97% of the profits; they had so much stock leftover, it would have been a huge writeoff to just bin it.

Last time Celtic kept a home shirt for two seasons was 13-15. Last away/third kit to last two seasons was 09-11.

For Sevco/Deadco/Rangers, the last home kit (besides the Ashley-induced hiccup) used for two seasons was 03-05. 00-02 was the last time they kept an away/third kit for two seasons.

8 minutes ago, SaintDougie said:

Nobody in the history of Humankind has ever wanted to imitate anything that has ever come out of Paisley mate, and that includes that stinking design you get on yer PJ's once you start pishing yerself as an old man. 

On the topic of nicknames, where does 'The Buddies' come from out of interest?

I'm often intrigued by the meaning of Scottish football clubs' nicknames, for example can anyone explain why Dunfermline are called 'The Pars'? I always joked it's because they’re bang average.

Also, I'm well aware that our nickname 'The Saintees' is unimaginative and pish!

Nice try, apart from thread, marmalade, legal precedent, the Paisley pattern, the cash machine, chip and pin, and obviously football clubs with the nickname 'Saints'...all of which originated in Paisley and were knocked off by imitators. :lol: The pishy pyjamas I believe came from Glasgow originally and inadvertantly spread to us.

Buddie is the nickname for a person from Paisley and is a derivative of the word 'Body'

47 minutes ago, SaintDougie said:

That's not our nickname, and never has been.    Fans have always sung it as it fits better into songs, that's the only reason.

We're from St John's toun of Perth, that's why we're the rightful owner of the nickname 'Saints'.

Regarding Pars, wasn't there a story that there were a bunch of folk from Plymouth working at the dockyard that went along to Dunfermline games, and it was the Plymouth Argyle Rosyth Supporters and the name stuck. Maybe that's shite, but I'm sure I heard something along those lines.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

That's not our nickname, and never has been.    Fans have always sung it as it fits better into songs, that's the only reason.

We're from St John's toun of Perth, that's why we're the rightful owner of the nickname 'Saints'.

I'm sure the club now list it as Saintees Paulo. Another reason to hate the c***s in charge.

That's not our nickname, and never has been.
Not the case according to your official club website.

Fans have always sung it as it fits better into songs, that's the only reason.

"we are Saintees, super Saintees. No one likes us..." [emoji23]

And who can forget, to the tune of the Big Ben chimes, "Saintees Saintees...Saintees Saintees!" [emoji23]

1 hour ago, JimmyMirren said:

Get your own nickname...

Brazilian club "Santos FC" are literally called "Saints" but they were 1912

Given that they play in a city that's been called Santos" since 1820's it's hard to accuse them of stealing your name

Except they seem to have stolen your kit as well

Santos1913.jpg

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Brazilian club "Santos FC" are literally called "Saints" but they were 1912

Given that they play in a city that's been called Santos" since 1820's it's hard to accuse them of stealing your name

Except they seem to have stolen your kit as well

Santos1913.jpg

In other very interesting black and white striped foreigner's football kits related trivia, Juventus' kit is directly influenced by Notts County.  

In other very interesting black and white striped foreigner's football kits related trivia, Juventus' kit is directly influenced by Notts County.  
St. Mirren first wore black and white vertical stripes 6 years before Notts County and 21 years before Juventus.

28 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Not the case according to your official club website.

"we are Saintees, super Saintees. No one likes us..." emoji23.png

And who can forget, to the tune of the Big Ben chimes, "Saintees Saintees...Saintees Saintees!" emoji23.png

And you forgot "we love you Saintees.."  as I said, it fits better into songs and that's the only reason it evolved. Same as your fans sing st murn. Is that your nickname though?

Our official website has barely got anything right in its history to be honest, I wouldn't place too much significance in that.

I haven't heard that "no one like us"song sung by Saints fans in well over 15 years, bit of a blast from the past, I remember loads of teams used to sing it; and personally have never heard this Big Ben song you mention.

Far more St Johnstone songs mention 'Saints' ; oh when the Saints, come on ye Saints, when the Saints went up to lift the Scottish Cup etc.

Anyway, have the buddies unveiled their new strip yet? Still waiting on the Saints one...

15 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Notts County were invited over for the official opening of Juventus' new stadium cos of the link.  Not too shabby a wee away trip for Notts County fans!

Regarding Pars, wasn't there a story that there were a bunch of folk from Plymouth working at the dockyard that went along to Dunfermline games, and it was the Plymouth Argyle Rosyth Supporters and the name stuck. Maybe that's shite, but I'm sure I heard something along those lines.

We all know Perth is posher than Paisley so to settle the argument St John’s toun of Perth should be pronounced Singen like MP of old Norman St.John-Stevas.

So it’s Paisley Saints

And

Perth Singens Toun.

HTH.

Archived