Virgin Atlantic wifi

Hi All,

Heading off soon and was thinking of taking up the wifi on offer on the flight. Virgin are offering it for £15 for the 8+ hour flight which I don't mind paying for. I've read online that it should be a decent speed for all passengers but I'm wondering if anyone here has used it and how good or bad it is.

Also, even if it is good enough for streaming how would Sky Go, Netflix, iPlayer work...would they cut off after you change 'territories'??

TIA

5 hours ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Hi All,

Heading off soon and was thinking of taking up the wifi on offer on the flight. Virgin are offering it for £15 for the 8+ hour flight which I don't mind paying for. I've read online that it should be a decent speed for all passengers but I'm wondering if anyone here has used it and how good or bad it is.

Also, even if it is good enough for streaming how would Sky Go, Netflix, iPlayer work...would they cut off after you change 'territories'??

TIA

You could always download a box set or films as insurance, and as ICR said claim the £15 back if it doesn't work. Got a long flight with BA and JAL soonish, no idea if they offer it yet but it must be through satellite networks like Iridium? Not sure how or if that would affect location barring but I've found you can access most Netflix stuff, and some Amazon stuff in Europe. Plenty for an 8 hour flight anyway.

Cheers for the responses. Think I'll just go for it and see. I'll have stuff downloaded and as ICR said the seat back entertainment isn't that bad...more for the novelty factor of being able to have live scores during the flight and terribly important stuff like that!

1 hour ago, Mr Gandosaur said:

£15 is a bit steep. It's only about 7/8 quid with Emirates.

It was about £8 on Icelandair.  Free on Norwegian though.  Is it really worth paying for it though?  Surely folk can go eight hours without the internet.

On 03/05/2018 at 13:25, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Cheers for the responses. Think I'll just go for it and see. I'll have stuff downloaded and as ICR said the seat back entertainment isn't that bad...more for the novelty factor of being able to have live scores during the flight and terribly important stuff like that!

Noticed that BA have a cheaper rate for normal surfing and a higher one for streaming. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I tried it out and whilst is was 'ok' I wouldn't really recommend anyone using it for anything other than text and data usage as the speeds are horrific at times. There is a cheaper data bundle which would probably be worth it. Still got use out of it though but there's no way anything would stream on it - the BBC Sport webpage took a few minutes each time to fully load up.

I've no doubt it'll become almost like home wifi eventually but i'll be giving it a miss for the next few trips I reckon.

Archived