Motherwell v St Johnstone 05-05-18. The battle for Bottom Six Supremacy

Just now, Kyle said:

I don’t think that’s fair. I think Cadden generally provides quality in the middle when Tait and Kipre are available and Bigrimana is capable too. I can understand Robinson’s thinking yesterday - he went for workhorses to compensate for having to play Ciftci who you get basically no work rate from (or certainly don’t whenever we’ve lined up against him).  

I really enjoy watching Motherwell because of their work ethic and you can rely on some decent quality from them too. We seem to be finding form now though with Willock and Williams looking like the players we hoped they would be. I so wanted Williams to score from that mazy he had in the second half - I think a goal will open up the flood gates for him and he’ll score quite a few more. 

I'm not having a go at them as the "high tempo press" style they usually play is enjoyable to watch, and yesterday was clearly a complete one off. Its just a word of warning to enjoy that style of play while it's still effective, as if/when Main leaves/gets injured, they'll suffer massively if they're still relying on Bowman as second choice. 

Caddens just Wotherspoon from a few years ago. Has games where he's unplayable and games where he's brutal, and does that whether you play him central or wide. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Yet, did you notice Robinson having another thinly veiled dig at Bigi during his post match interview? Claiming Bowman was the only one of his subs who made any impact cause he gave ‘absolutely everything’.

It was unwarranted for me- Bigi wasn’t exactly outstanding but he was hung out to dry 2nd half in that crazy, lopsided formation Robinson sent them out in. Yet Bigi still managed to score our only goal, forced Clark into another decent save and probably completed more passes than any other Motherwell player. 

Also, slagging off the subs for not making an impact is a bit rich when he was the one who chose to chuck on that absolute huddy Petravicius for the last 25 mins. 

The dig was hard to miss tbf. The fact that he corrected himself to absolve Bowman only highlighted it more. I agree it seemed unwarranted especially as it was him who scored the goal. As impact goes that's certainly something.

I noticed Robinson tearing strips off Grimshaw after he seemed to half heartedly go in for a 50/50, the fact he was hooked at HT seemed pointed too.

The Petravicius substitution seemed a bit of a fait accompli. It's unlikely he's going to be here next season so he's been thrown on in a game that's gone. It was really a process of confirming what we already knew.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I thought Bowman was gash. Every time I see him his only real contribution is jumping into defenders when the balls in the air. 

It'll sound odd but you should be worried if Robinson is of the mindset players like him are your future, having an organised hard working team only works if you've got some stardust sprinkled in it, you seem pretty reliant on Main just bulldozing his way to goal. 

In fairness I don't think anyone (even Robinson) thinks Bowman is our future. Realistically he's likely to be our 4th choice striker (IMO). Main's ahead of him, a fully fit Ciftci's ahead of him and we were after another striker on deadline day but the deal fell through at the death (McCall confirmed it was a Bradford player, it was rumoured to have been Shay McCartan).

Right now we're reliant on Main bulldozing his way to goal largely because our main (only) creative player and joint top scorer (along with Bowman) has just started being able to walk again this week and has been out since March.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I thought Bowman was gash. Every time I see him his only real contribution is jumping into defenders when the balls in the air. 

It'll sound odd but you should be worried if Robinson is of the mindset players like him are your future, having an organised hard working team only works if you've got some stardust sprinkled in it, you seem pretty reliant on Main just bulldozing his way to goal. 

Aye but the big man ran about and gave absolutely everything, that’s what it’s all about apparently. 

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

I don’t think that’s fair. I think Cadden generally provides quality in the middle when Tait and Kipre are available and Bigrimana is capable too. I can understand Robinson’s thinking yesterday - he went for workhorses to compensate for having to play Ciftci who you get basically no work rate from (or certainly don’t whenever we’ve lined up against him).  

I really enjoy watching Motherwell because of their work ethic and you can rely on some decent quality from them too.

Believe it or not that’s about as creative a team as we can put out, outside of Tanner who’s currently injured. Ciftci, Frear and Bigi are about the only ‘creative’ players we have- Ciftci isn’t fit, Frear is an extremely limited and one dimensional player while Robinson just doesn’t seem to trust/like Bigi. I like Cadden but he’s all pace and power as well, he generally doesn’t bring a great deal of quality to proceedings and his final ball has been a real let down this season.

Moult was the real quality in the team and our league form has been pretty poor since he departed. Tanner was probably the one player who stepped up in his absence and he’s out for the season now as well. Without them, brute force and set pieces is about all we’ve got in the locker. 

13 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I mean the footage is there but it really can’t be overstated just how true this is.

For context by my count we conceded the same number this afternoon as we had in the last 7 combined (if you include the Aberdeen cup game).

The defending for every one of the goals is next level WTF?

I said it on SMO but it's worth repeating.

Yesterday was just a continuation of last weeks Dundee match.  If Dundee had actually scored half their chances they would have got 5 as well.  They should have been 1-0 up in the first 6 seconds. 

Our clean sheet record has a lot to do with the paucity of decent striking talent in a league - the only player in the league with more than 15 goals is a fat, old Kris Boyd.  That's also also why we only just make it into the Top 6 for clean sheets in the league this season (Celtic 19, Aberdeen 17, Hearts 15, Rangers 12, Hibernian 11, Motherwell 11, Kilmarnock 9, St. Johnstone 9, Dundee 6 etc.). 

Since the 1-0 win to Dundee in October we've won 5 out of 26 league matches (or a 19% win ratio) and we have 4 wins in our last 15 home league matches.

The cup runs have papered over a LOT of cracks.

There's someone out there who's made a fair bit of money from us signing Petravicius. 

It's not Motherwell FC, and it's not the boy himself. 

It's dodgy as f**k. 

3 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

The majority of people in Perth will be rooting for Well in the final except for the plastic paddy catholics who think they have to support Celtic.

hee hee

The folk in Perth didn't even cheer St Johnstone when they won it.

I was in Perth when the final whistle went.

Not even a smile from old dudes in the town centre.

hee hee
Given there was more than a third of the entire city population through in Glasgow that afternoon, not too surprising.

I hope Motherwell destroy those rancid glory hunting bigots in the cup final.  A last minute dive for a penalty to win it for Well would leave everybody happy.. Motherwell win the Cup, the rest of Scottish football is delighted, and Celtic fans have a great opportunity to play the victim card.

8 hours ago, Paris Hilltoon said:
10 hours ago, Glenconner said:
hee hee

Given there was more than a third of the entire city population through in Glasgow that afternoon, not too surprising.

Aye and half of Auchterarder too

Just now, PauloPerth said:

I hope Motherwell destroy those rancid glory hunting bigots in the cup final.  A last minute dive for a penalty to win it for Well would leave everybody happy.. Motherwell win the Cup, the rest of Scottish football is delighted, and Celtic fans have a great opportunity to play the victim card.

Agreed, any Motherwell fans I have met are genuinely nice people and I wish them every success in the final 

Every normal Saints fan will be behind Well. I remember our disastrous semi-final a few years back, when the decency of the Well fans was the only plus point of a miserable day.

Doesn't matter so much about form. In our cup-winning season we didn't win any of our last four league games; the final one an abject surrender to ICT.  And if you're looking for omens we were well beaten at Fir Park in the corresponding fixture at the start of May – and lost by four at Fir Park that year too.

Just has to come absurdly right for 90 minutes at Hampden. That's all that matters.

Archived