Motherwell v St Johnstone 05-05-18. The battle for Bottom Six Supremacy

Had literally just said to my old man that it was turning out to be a typical end of season drab affair when the first went in. 

What an absolute pumping it then went on to become. Credit to Saints for being clinical and taking all the chances we offered up, but they never had to work for them at all. 

Cadden, Frear and McHugh all terrible, not sure there's even a word in the dictionary to describe how shit Ciftci was. Hilariously bad. 

Hat trick some way for McLean to bow out for you guys, will be some miss for you. 

Battle for bottom six supremacy going to the wire. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This ploy of lulling Celtic into a a false sense of security is working a treat. 

We actually started better team in both half’s but boy oh boy defend like that and Celtic will get into double figures in a fortnight. 

Still 7th and as painful as that was to watch would have taken that and a cup final with 2 league games to go. 

Wonder what Robbo has up his sleeve for Tuesday evening ?

Still want to finish 7th but not sure we will now. 

52 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Certainly didn’t see that coming after half an hour...

Few things for me today- midfield of McHugh, Campbell and Grimshaw just didn’t work. Too pedestrian, no creativity and all 3 were just off the pace today. I know he has his fans on here but I’ve seen enough of Frear now. Guy’s an extremely limited player who lacks the aggression or heart to hold down a place at this level. Ciftci just doesn’t suit our style of play at all, some nice touches but he doesn’t run around enough to be effect in our style of hoofball.

Also thought chucking on Petravicius was a slap in the face to a few of the younger boys like Maclean and Turnbull. By that point though Robinson had lost the plot and we were playing one hell of a batshit, mental formation with 4 strikers and no midfield.

Been saying it, and getting stick for saying it, from the start of the season.  Our midfield is absolute mince.

Sans Campbell the midfield need binned.  Rose, Grimshaw, McHugh, Frear, Bigirimana, Petrivicus not good enough. 

Cadden is going backwards at a rate of knots as well but I'll give him the 'Ben Heneghan-Pig-In-A-Poke' benefit of the doubt.

If it's not addressed we will be dawning the skidded up relegation shitey pants next season.

Dead rubber or not, that was totally unacceptable today. I appreciate we aren't playing at full tilt but a 1-5 loss at home to anyone, let alone a side like St.Johnstone is a disgrace. Ahead of the Cup Final, results like this can seriously damage and demoralise our preparations. We should know that better than anyone after 2011's shambolic run up to the Final. We have two games left and we cannot afford to go into our biggest match in years on the back of three defeats so I hope to see a massive improvement.

Why is losing 5-1 to saints a disgrace? We’ve already put 4 past you and recently put 4 past Dundee away from home. Poor season or not, when we turn it on, we can be very, very good. Shame we don’t do it more often. So how about a little more humility MJC and know that this isn’t the first time we’ve skelpt Motherwell recently and it won’t be the last, same way Motherwell have done e same to us.

Dead rubber or not, that was totally unacceptable today. I appreciate we aren't playing at full tilt but a 1-5 loss at home to anyone, let alone a side like St.Johnstone is a disgrace. Ahead of the Cup Final, results like this can seriously damage and demoralise our preparations. We should know that better than anyone after 2011's shambolic run up to the Final. We have two games left and we cannot afford to go into our biggest match in years on the back of three defeats so I hope to see a massive improvement.

Twat

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

Why is losing 5-1 to saints a disgrace? We’ve already put 4 past you and recently put 4 past Dundee away from home. Poor season or not, when we turn it on, we can be very, very good. Shame we don’t do it more often. So how about a little more humility MJC and know that this isn’t the first time we’ve skelpt Motherwell recently and it won’t be the last, same way Motherwell have done e same to us.

With all due respect we shouldn't be losing 5-1 at home to teams with much more resources never mind a team of similar stature.  It's not a slight on St. Johnstone.

Cheer up, your big team won.

34 minutes ago, Widge said:

For the same reason that I suspect you would say that losing 5-1 at home to Motherwell would be a disgrace. We are similar sized clubs with a similar quality of players and to get pumped 5-1 at home is simply not good enough. I take nothing away from Saints today as they were well worth their win and their winning margin, but from a Motherwell FC perspective, which is all I am interested in, that just isn't good enough.

He maybe could have, but Spoony winding him up and laughing at him was great. I actually found myself feeling sorry for Nadir, he totally lost it and couldn't even manage a simple pass afterwards.

For any Saints fans not there, our third and fifth were really good team goals and well worth a watch. So was the first  if I remember rightly.

Do Motherwell still do that excellent highlights package? 

I think they said on the radio today that our 5-1 win was the biggest away win by anyone in the Premiership this season.

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:
It was pretty even for about 20 minutes, then we all completely forgot how to play football and offered a lesson in being absolutely fucking shite.

I mean the footage is there but it really can’t be overstated just how true this is.

For context by my count we conceded the same number this afternoon as we had in the last 7 combined (if you include the Aberdeen cup game).

The defending for every one of the goals is next level WTF?

Archived