Motherwell v St Johnstone 05-05-18. The battle for Bottom Six Supremacy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a game at McDiarmid when we were 4-0 up against 'Well. They scored a consolation, which drew ironic cheers. Then they scored another. And a third. Final whistle we were hanging on grimly.

Just sayin'

Just now, Mr Heliums said:

I remember a game at McDiarmid when we were 4-0 up against 'Well. They scored a consolation, which drew ironic cheers. Then they scored another. And a third. Final whistle we were hanging on grimly.

Just sayin'

I should stop just sayin'

Motherwell are pretty soft for a "physical team" 

Ciftci is hilariously shite. 

Motherwells midfield will have nightmares about Murray Davidson. 

Delighted MacLean got that kind of end to his Saints career. 

That was the absolute dream goodbye appearance. 5-1 win, hat trick for the man himself an his heir apparent coming off the bench to grab the 5th. Outstanding performance from saints. I hope we’re doing everything in our power to get Willock back for next season as he’s been excellent since the split. 

Ciftci. :lol: 

On 5/1/2018 at 15:30, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Deserves a good send off. Not been at his best this year so not surprised to see him hang it up with his 36th birthday this year and bad knees.

All the best for his retirement.

A few too many retirement gifts imo.

Need to start our strongest team for the last couple of games. We don't have enough to be resting players and still be a competent side.

The formation in the 2nd half was bonkers 4-2-4 with absolutely no work from Ciftci, Frear or Petrovicious. After 10 minutes St Johnstone worked out where their open players were we should have pulled Ciftci for a real midfielder.

Thank you for everything Steven Maclean.

What a brilliant team performance from 25 minutes onwards.  Foster was brilliant, Willock looking better every week, Spoony and Muzz great. The back 3 strolled it. Tanser and Williams good again. Macmillan really looks the part and took his goal well. Scougall lively, and young Ali McCann looked very composed when he came on.

Really positive for next season if we can get the loanees signed, and Murray and Ando extended.

Cant believe the way Motherwell folded. Best of luck for the cup final.

That was some LOL lads.

Whit a state. An absolute shambles, no doubt.

FWIW: I thought we were fine for the first 25 mins or so. Main had 2 or 3 chances he should have buried then we effectively stopped playing. Defenders literally running away from Foster to give him time to pick the cross for the first btw.

Fucking hell...

Yes - all the best for the cup final lads. I hope this game acts as a wake up call (if one is even needed) rather than the start of a downward spiral. 

Certainly didn’t see that coming after half an hour...

Few things for me today- midfield of McHugh, Campbell and Grimshaw just didn’t work. Too pedestrian, no creativity and all 3 were just off the pace today. I know he has his fans on here but I’ve seen enough of Frear now. Guy’s an extremely limited player who lacks the aggression or heart to hold down a place at this level. Ciftci just doesn’t suit our style of play at all, some nice touches but he doesn’t run around enough to be effect in our style of hoofball.

Also thought chucking on Petravicius was a slap in the face to a few of the younger boys like Maclean and Turnbull. By that point though Robinson had lost the plot and we were playing one hell of a batshit, mental formation with 4 strikers and no midfield. 

Anyway congrats Saints, could easily have been 6 or 7 with some of the chances you passed up. Maclean a class act up top and the two boys on loan Willock and Williams looked handy as well. 

Biggest ever win at Fir Park, to follow on from a biggest ever league win at Dens, two draws at Celtic, a first win at Ibrox since 1971 and a last minute winner at Easter Road with the scenes that followed.

Not bad for a shite season...

As others have said, an even game for 25 minutes but after that a demolition from Saints. Not a failure and one of those days where you can pick so many positives.

Been a pleasure to have Steven MacLean at Saints and already looking forward to him goading us when he scores for Hearts.

Archived