Motherwell v St Johnstone 05-05-18. The battle for Bottom Six Supremacy

And so here it is, upon us at last...

Can't believe there's not a thread for this already.

I'm pretty sure we've never won the Bottom Six Championship since this prestigious tournament came into being earlier this century, making it one of the few domestic major honours we've never won,

People can go on about the Premiership title, basically a competition to see who's got the most money, generally over at the time the split occurs. But this is where's the real action is at. Six teams of similar budgets battling it out in a month long winner takes all no holds barred fight to the death.

If Motherwell win they would take an almost unassailable 4 point leading going into the final two fixtures, whereas a Saints win would leave them with a completely sailable* 2 point advantage over the Steelmen.

The first clash of these two potential champions saw as close to a pub league ending as you will see at this level. Motherwell players, embarrassed at the football lesson they were being given, decided to run around fouling Saints players in the final twenty minutes in a bid to get sent off and end the humiliation. It worked for a few, with 7 (seven) man Motherwell beaten 4-1.  

The following match at Fir Park also saw pub league similarities, this time in terms of the quality of St Johnstone's second half performance. A comfortable 2-0 win for Well the result.

The match last month ended 0-0, with everyone wishing they'd given the match the swerve and gone to the pub instead.

Arguably this is the harder part of the domestic double Motherwell are aiming for, with victory here and the Bottom Six title all but guaranteed, thoughts can begin to turn to the Scottish Cup Final against Celtic in a few weeks time.

For Saints, hopefully a few more fringe and youth players will get a run out, as the club look to build towards next season. Surely at least one or two out of Liam Gordon, one of the young strikers, and McCann or Kyle McLean in midfield will get a start.

Will St Johnstone fans be in the big stand behind the goal, or in the Main Stand? 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

If Motherwell win they would take an almost unassailable 4 point leading going into the final two fixtures

A 6 Point Lead (+11 GD at least) surely?

As close to the cup final team here as we can, injuries permitting.  Same with the Accies game the following week.  We can chop and change for the Thistle game in midweek.

Another 2-0 win for Motherwell to have our name on the Bottom 6 Trophy.

Carson

Kipré  Aldred  Dunne

Cadden Campbell Grimshaw McHugh Tait

Main  Bowman

I wasn't going to bother with this but Maclean's adversion ( ;) ) to playing on plastic and his final day suspension means this game is his St Johnstone swansong. Given all he's given for us, that makes this game unmissable for me.

I'm not expecting much from us to be honest. Injuries have reduced our attacking options significantly and, frankly, there is nothing to play for in this match for either side really. 

I think we'll go;

Clark

Kerr Shaughnessy Anderson

Foster Davidson Wotherspoon Willock Tanser

Williams Maclean

I would like to see the likes of Kyle McClean and Liam Gordon get a run in preparation for next season's push to become first team regulars but I can see us going with what the manager considers our strongest 11 for this one. Hopefully Scougall will re-appear on the bench again along side McMillan and we'll see both get some minutes in this match.

1-1 draw.

7 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Motherwell to win, tree house tam to have some tedious as f**k posts.

I'll try my best.

I'd just like to add that Paulo(factual inaccuracies aside) is turning into a brilliant poster, long may it continue.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

I wasn't going to bother with this but Maclean's adversion ( ;) ) to playing on plastic and his final day suspension means this game is his St Johnstone swansong. Given all he's given for us, that makes this game unmissable for me.

Deserves a good send off. Not been at his best this year so not surprised to see him hang it up with his 36th birthday this year and bad knees.

All the best for his retirement.

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Deserves a good send off. Not been at his best this year so not surprised to see him hang it up with his 36th birthday this year and bad knees.

All the best for his retirement.

I'm probably being whooshed here as I am generally accepted as a bit of a thicko, but he's signed a 2 year playing contract with hearts.

I don't disagree with your post all the same!

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

The first clash of these two potential champions saw as close to a pub league ending as you will see at this level. Motherwell players, embarrassed at the football lesson they were being given, decided to run around fouling Saints players in the final twenty minutes in a bid to get sent off and end the humiliation. It worked for a few, with 7 (seven) man Motherwell beaten 4-1. 

It was eight man Motherwell no? Carson, McHugh and Dunne sent off.

Absolute nothing game. Couldn't give the slightest of fucks.

I imagine we'll concede early and late on so 2-0 the 'Well. 

Think TW will keep plugging away with the back three. He knows we can play a four so will see more benefit on working on the three. As with last week, I'd like to see Liam Gordon get a game and maybe McClean too. Hopefully we'll finally see the return of McMillan  as well.

15 minutes ago, Radford said:

Think TW will keep plugging away with the back three. He knows we can play a four so will see more benefit on working on the three. As with last week, I'd like to see Liam Gordon get a game and maybe McClean too. Hopefully we'll finally see the return of McMillan  as well.

Who would you leave out for Gordon?

As close to the cup final team here as we can, injuries permitting.  Same with the Accies game the following week.  We can chop and change for the Thistle game in midweek.
Another 2-0 win for Motherwell to have our name on the Bottom 6 Trophy.
                                       Carson
                          Kipré  Aldred  Dunne
Cadden Campbell Grimshaw McHugh Tait
                               Main  Bowman

Why would you want a full strength team the week before the Scottish Cup Final?

Archived