The Programme

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43955431

With Football League clubs voting on whether the publishing of a programme should be a requirement for next season, just wondering how many P&B users still buy one? 

When I was a youngster I would always get one, and study it religiously until the next game but over the past 10-15 years I have probably accumulated less than fifty. 

Would you be upset if your club stopped producing them?

Always buy one and most are an enjoyable read and it's one of the few traditions left in the game but maybe clubs need to re-evaluate.

I've been to games in Germany and Sweden where the programmes are given away free (or a nominal €1), paid for by advertisers.  Ok, that means  a lot more adverts but they still have decent content and are free, which means instead of 1,000 punters seeing their adverts in a crowd of 10,000, maybe 8,000 will see them. Has to be a win-win.

Programmes are a bit of an anachronism in this day and age, it's not as if there is any new information in them or stats that you can't get online. I'd still be  sorry to see them go though. Got every Dumbarton home  programme that there's been so  would like to keep that going

I generally don't buy them anymore either. I'll only fork  for a basically unwanted,  normally expensive 'matchday magazine' if I'm at a game that doesn't have a ticket I can hold on to as a memento. Used to ensure I got one for every game I went to and have loads stashed away somewhere in boxes that I haven't looked at for years.  They'll probably be sitting next to the Subbuteo teams.

I always buy one from every game I go to and I am afraid I fall in the category of an avid collector :lol: 

Have been the programme editor at Whitehill for a number of years and  I’ve got 1000s of the things. Drives the missus mad and especially with having so many Liverpool  and other Premier League ones that are like books I have boxfuls. 

Funnily enough at Whitehill our sales have never been better with some decent front covers and original content.  

09670C77-A4E8-4E2D-83F2-F87BE565EE3A.jpeg

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

The Cowdenbeath one is a fantastic read and I'd be gutted if it was to stop.  I know the editors well and the amount of time and effort they put into it is unreal.

You can't beat a good programme and the day that they stop existing will be a very sad one for football.

17 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

The Cowdenbeath one is a fantastic read and I'd be gutted if it was to stop.  I know the editors well and the amount of time and effort they put into it is unreal.

You can't beat a good programme and the day that they stop existing will be a very sad one for football.

Agreed Andy and the team at Cowdenbeath do a brilliant job. I think the reality is that programmes are outdated in many ways but they can also survive if there is someone at a club enthusiastic about doing it. The time I spend doing the Whitehill one would be better spent doing other things but I like doing it. The £3.50 ones with 100 pages to me are pointless and they’d be better much smaller and cheaper as souvenir rather than a magazine. 

20 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

A top quality programme, a labour of love.

32 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Agreed Andy and the team at Cowdenbeath do a brilliant job. I think the reality is that programmes are outdated in many ways but they can also survive if there is someone at a club enthusiastic about doing it. The time I spend doing the Whitehill one would be better spent doing other things but I like doing it. The £3.50 ones with 100 pages to me are pointless and they’d be better much smaller and cheaper as souvenir rather than a magazine. 

The Minertaur writes a couple of articles in the programme for us someday he'll maybe take it over when we retire:lol:

Its all about what you put in them someone mentioned that you can get all of the stuff online maybe at some clubs but I can safely say quite a lot of the stuff in the Cowden programme is original material which isn't online.

Myself and Cowden Cowboy probably do spend far too much time in doing it but people at the games seem to like it so why not, we'll never make a fortune off it but it provides a service for fans and like you with the WW issue we enjoy doing it.

1 hour ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

I always buy one from every game I go to and I am afraid I fall in the category of an avid collector :lol: 

Have been the programme editor at Whitehill for a number of years and  I’ve got 1000s of the things. Drives the missus mad and especially with having so many Liverpool  and other Premier League ones that are like books I have boxfuls. 

Funnily enough at Whitehill our sales have never been better with some decent front covers and original content.  

09670C77-A4E8-4E2D-83F2-F87BE565EE3A.jpeg

Like the covers this season Rab was that cartoon one nicked from a recent Liverpool issue looks familiar from somewhere.

19 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Myself and Cowden Cowboy probably do spend far too much time in doing it but people at the games seem to like it so why not, we'll never make a fortune off it but it provides a service for fans and like you with the WW issue we enjoy doing it.

If folk like doing it, fans buy it and club's happy financially then great, the programme should continue. I think the clubs that aren't in this position just want the option to stop producing it and losing money on it, they're not trying to say all programme programme production must cease, which seems fair to me. It's a nice little throwback to the days when people had a freedom of choice about things. :whistle

2 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

If folk like doing it, fans buy it and club's happy financially then great, the programme should continue. I think the clubs that aren't in this position just want the option to stop producing it and losing money on it, they're not trying to say all programme programme production must cease, which seems fair to me. It's a nice little throwback to the days when people had a freedom of choice about things. :whistle

I would agree with what your saying a lot of clubs do just go through the motions with their programmes and they are bland to say the least. You really need someone who is interested in them doing them.

We do not too bad considering our crowds but do try to make it interesting for fans of both clubs not just our own fans and it seems to work.

I used to buy them every game I went to.  Can't remember the last one I bought at an Aberdeen home game.  I tend to now only buy them at big games or if I'm visiting a ground for the first time.  I did try and get one at the Montrose game on Saturday but they had sold out by the time I got into the ground.

I used to get one from every Accies game I went to - there's still a massive bundle in my bedroom - but it was just something that I gradually stopped. Before, I got them as a memory of an away game (which were much less frequent when I was younger), but now that I'll only miss, at most, a couple of games a season, I've not bothered. There's also the fact that the last one I got as "memorabilia" was from the game we could've won the league at Dumbarton - we all know how that panned out. 

I find myself collecting tickets more, for no reason other than I find it in my pocket the next day and don't know which colour of bin it goes in.