Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Heard them on BBC Breakfast this morning saying that increasing MAP and reducing consumption should be amongst the Covid recovery programmes. 

Get this punted. It is a failed policy. 

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Heard them on BBC Breakfast this morning saying that increasing MAP and reducing consumption should be amongst the Covid recovery programmes. 

Get this punted. It is a failed policy. 

You don't know the Scottish government by now? We need to make sure that alcohol is beyond the reach of the plebs who can't be trusted to drink responsibly.

limmy-double-down.gif

Edited by Suspect Device

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

You don't know the Scottish government by now? We need to make sure that alcohol is beyond the reach of the plebs who can't be trusted to drink responsibly.

limmy-double-down.gif

When I started this thread (4 years ago, FFS) I called it Prohibition for the Poor. 

Exactly what it is.

On 19/11/2021 at 22:02, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No.

I'm not arguing with a moron who agrees like a fucking a simpleton with everything the Scottish Government does.

I left the SNP the day they brought in vaccine passports - and because of the increasingly autocratic tendencies within the party.

I know unionists jokingly accuse it of being a cult, but f**k me, it's close to the truth.

It's you and your kind who resort to sycophantic drivel that will ultimately drive voters from the SNP.

Hopefully after independence.

57DF4D63-9C27-4785-82E0-5743B36F424D.gif.1e658bf56182efba0427c755c82ae3ea.gif

Airport breakfast pints are mainly a thing for folk heading on holiday, a stagger etc. I'd guess that your suited and booted businessman isnt going to be sinking a few pints in a Scottish airport prior to 8am before heading to a meeting. The next step in this will be shutting early opening pubs, which, while on the face of it may be a good thing to stop folk staying out all night, getting pished at 7am, stops folk working a night shift getting a pint on the way home from work. It wasn't that long ago, we were looking at 24hr licensing and wanting to introduce a 'cafe culture' to tackle alcohol problems in Scotland. 

The fact is, it's a far more complex problem than the government can deal with. MUP is fine on paper but charging £8 instead of £4 for a bottle of diamond White does not alleviate the problem. I think a lot of us like to look at alcohol abuse as a lower class issue but I'd hazard a guess that there are as many upper class/middle class people that drink as much in a pub/at home than your lower income person does. It's just in a more 'socially acceptable' place and they are paying £3.50 a pint or £30 a bottle of whisky rather than £20 a case of tennents and £14 a bottle of spirits and they are less likely to batter the wife/dog/bairn when they get home. 

TL Dr, pricing the poor out of alcohol is missing the point completely. 

16 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I think a lot of us like to look at alcohol abuse as a lower class issue but I'd hazard a guess that there are as many upper class/middle class people that drink as much in a pub/at home than your lower income person does. It's just in a more 'socially acceptable' place and they are paying £3.50 a pint or £30 a bottle of whisky rather than £20 a case of tennents and £14 a bottle of spirits and they are less likely to batter the wife/dog/bairn when they get home. 

Can you clarify - are you saying that lower class people are more prone to this than middle class folk, or that the middle class have this perception of the lower class?

16 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Airport breakfast pints are mainly a thing for folk heading on holiday, a stagger etc. I'd guess that your suited and booted businessman isnt going to be sinking a few pints in a Scottish airport prior to 8am before heading to a meeting. The next step in this will be shutting early opening pubs, which, while on the face of it may be a good thing to stop folk staying out all night, getting pished at 7am, stops folk working a night shift getting a pint on the way home from work. It wasn't that long ago, we were looking at 24hr licensing and wanting to introduce a 'cafe culture' to tackle alcohol problems in Scotland. 

The fact is, it's a far more complex problem than the government can deal with. MUP is fine on paper but charging £8 instead of £4 for a bottle of diamond White does not alleviate the problem. I think a lot of us like to look at alcohol abuse as a lower class issue but I'd hazard a guess that there are as many upper class/middle class people that drink as much in a pub/at home than your lower income person does. It's just in a more 'socially acceptable' place and they are paying £3.50 a pint or £30 a bottle of whisky rather than £20 a case of tennents and £14 a bottle of spirits and they are less likely to batter the wife/dog/bairn when they get home. 

TL Dr, pricing the poor out of alcohol is missing the point completely. 

It’s a class issue.  No question about it.  And it absolutely is a sign of a slightly authoritarian streak in the SNP government.  But airport drinking happens all over the world, minimum pricing or no.   And there’s hee-haw wrong with it.  It doesn’t encourage binge drinking, alcoholism, or any other of these working class sins.  A morning pint prior to a four hour flight is a fine, fine thing.   

Before everyone gets upset at Wee Nippy the chief nanny unfairly targeting them again, this airport licensing thing is coming from the freedom loving Tories.

The UK Government is considering proposals to restrict pub hours and has suggested banning alcohol sales from 4am to 8am, however the Scottish Government say it has no plans to license pubs.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/19944484.airport-pubs-scottish-licensing-leader-backs-restrictions/?ref=twtrec

Before everyone gets upset at Wee Nippy the chief nanny unfairly targeting them again, this airport licensing thing is coming from the freedom loving Tories.

The UK Government is considering proposals to restrict pub hours and has suggested banning alcohol sales from 4am to 8am, however the Scottish Government say it has no plans to license pubs.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/19944484.airport-pubs-scottish-licensing-leader-backs-restrictions/?ref=twtrec

Those horrible b*****ds snatched my milk when I was at primary school and they’ve not changed