Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

8 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

It's only about class if you and your definition of class are stuck in the 1950's.

Well no, because even the most modern research still places income and wealth absolutely central to the definition of someone's social class.  This is a targeted policy at the poor health outcomes for one or two of those  lower socio-economic groups (that's class to you). It's about a short term, interventionist nudge to those behaviours. In the longer term, lifting people out of those socio-economic groups is more important, to give them some form of control over their own lives is important, it is I think a feeling of helplessness, a total lack of control and desire for escape than can lead to alcohol problems and those feelings are exacerbated by a lack of opportunity to exercise their talents and personality through other means - and that lack of opportunity derives through a lack of income and a lack of wealth, thanks to our market driven capitalist society. In other words, as you descend the socio-economic groups, your vector for success can narrow substantially. This doesn't mean it *can't* affect other people, more affluent people, only that the likelihood increases as the level of available wealth decreases. It is fundamentally a class issue. 

Depends what you mean by the usual stuff. 

This web page is a good guide: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43891989

Having looked at that list, I’m not bothered by the minimum pricing. Look at the state of the drinks there that are going up in price. Okay, so beer cans going up in price by over 7 quid for some brands doesn’t look great. But I asked myself - when do I ever buy multi-pack cans of beer? The answer is never. I’m not a student anymore so the only time I’d ever want to buy a huge pack of beers now is if I was hosting a party/bbq/having mates round - all of which rarely happen these days as we’d sooner opt to go to the boozer, straws at the ready of course. The only thing I was worried about was Bucky but that’s not even going up in price!

If this pricing is really really bothering you then you must ask yourself this - “am I a total jakey?” If you are not a jakey then why the f**k are you buying Tesco’s own brand of Voddy/gin/whisky. Have a word with yourself.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Of course. Arguing otherwise inevitably leads to Chlamydia Kid style claims that working class “culture” is opposing immigration and proudly flunking out of your highers. Income is the first and primary definition of class.

Students and administrative staff = working class, plumbers and brickies = middle class. Who knew?

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Well no, because even the most modern research still places income and wealth absolutely central to the definition of someone's social class. 

Ugh.  What research has there been into what incomes define class?

Edited by Baxter Parp

5 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Students and administrative staff = working class, plumbers and brickies = middle class. Who knew?

Well, yeah. Why would a plumber who owns his own small company be somehow in a lower socio-economic  group than a data entry clerk making less than the median salary? White collar workers are the modern working class. 

Edited by renton

Students supported by wealthy parents are absolutely middle class. Plumbers and brickies that earn enough to live in a 4 bedroom in Bearsden are middle class. Premiership footballers are middle class even if they retain an accent and don’t have a formal education. Viewing class as culture first and income second is the preserve of the right who are determined to fight politics on cultural rather than economic lines and want to justify their abhorrent views by claiming they speak for working class people.

Just now, NotThePars said:

Students supported by wealthy parents are absolutely middle class. Plumbers and brickies that earn enough to live in a 4 bedroom in Bearsden are middle class. Footballers are middle class even if they retain an accent and don’t have a formal education. Viewing class as culture first and income second is the preserve of the right who are determined to fight politics on cultural rather than economic lines and want to justify their abhorrent views by claiming they speak for working class people.

A-fucking-men

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Well, yeah. Why would a plumber who owns his own small company be somehow in a lower socio-economic  group than a data entry clerk making less than the median salary? White collar workers are the modern working class. 

I didn't say anything about owning a company.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Students supported by wealthy parents are absolutely middle class.

I didn't say anything about being supported by wealthy parents.  We've been told that income = class.  Students are therefore all working class.  QED.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

I didn't say anything about owning a company.

Yes, but the point is that plenty of tradesmen do. It really is quite possible for people who do manual labour to be in a higher socio-economic group than those who ostensibly work in white collar occupations. Particularly as the service economy requires many of the latter, placing a premium on the services of the former. As NotThePars says, you can't define "class" on culture.

Just now, renton said:

Yes, but the point is that plenty of tradesmen do. It really is quite possible for people who do manual labour to be in a higher socio-economic group than those who ostensibly work in white collar occupations. Particularly as the service economy requires many of the latter, placing a premium on the services of the former. As NotThePars says, you can't define "class" on culture.

Nor income then. Cheers.

I didn't say anything about being supported by wealthy parents.  We've been told that income = class.  Students are therefore all working class.  QED.

You didn’t but everyone else can understand when someone says that income is the first and primary definition of class that you can work out from there how students who are largely financially dependent on their parents are judged accordingly on that basis.