Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

35 minutes ago, strichener said:

"Westminster tax grab"

Sorry, credibility lost right there.  Taking UKBad to the same gutter as Phil and his SNPBad.

If the price hadn't been increased by the Scottish Government, there would be nothing to "grab", surely?

13 hours ago, strichener said:

"Westminster tax grab"

Sorry, credibility lost right there.  Taking UKBad to the same gutter as Phil and his SNPBad.

13 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

If the price hadn't been increased by the Scottish Government, there would be nothing to "grab", surely?

Next time I use hyperbole to try to get a reply from the troll (instead of him posting yet another pathetic meme), shall I tell you two first? Maybe I can add a smiley or something.

Interesting to note that Strichiner believes that a truthful exaggeration is equal to Phil's out and out lies though.

22 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Next time I use hyperbole to try to get a reply from the troll (instead of him posting yet another pathetic meme), shall I tell you two first? Maybe I can add a smiley or something.

Interesting to note that Strichiner believes that a truthful exaggeration is equal to Phil's out and out lies though.

Truthful exaggeration?  What part is exaggerated rather than just "out and out lies"?  Quite simply there is not "an additional tax grab".

Edited by strichener

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

Truthful exaggeration?  What part is exaggerated rather than just "out and out lies"?  Quite simply there is not "an additional tax grab".

The VAT on £5.29 is £0.88. The VAT on £3.99 is £0.66. That additional £0.22 is payable to the UK Treasury. 

Is that not a tax increase? Has the Treasury not 'grabbed' an additional £0.22 in tax from the purchaser?

Please explain your reasoning why you consider my statement to be a lie.

The VAT on £5.29 is £0.88. The VAT on £3.99 is £0.66. That additional £0.22 is payable to the UK Treasury.  Is that not a tax increase? Has the Treasury not 'grabbed' an additional £0.22 in tax from the purchaser? Please explain your reasoning why you consider my statement to be a lie.

Clever work

but it does rely on the assumption that consumption will remain the same at £5.29 as at £3.99

If it falls by 25% in response to the price hike then it will be neutral in terms of the tax rate. Anything further than that and it would actually reduce the tax take.

We won’t know the net effect until it’s been running for a while

It also ignores the fact that the Scottish Government is implementing the policy but the UK Treasury takes the tax so “tax grab” is clearly something of a misnomer even if there is more tax collected

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Clever work

but it does rely on the assumption that consumption will remain the same at £5.29 as at £3.99

If it falls by 25% in response to the price hike then it will be neutral in terms of the tax rate

Aye, I'll give you that point. But with regard to the specific bottle in question, I was factually correct. Next time I'm in Lidl in Oban, I'll pay my extra £0.22 to Her Majesty's Government. I hope she spends it well.

Aye, I'll give you that point. But with regard to the specific bottle in question, I was factually correct. Next time I'm in Lidl in Oban, I'll pay my extra £0.22 to Her Majesty's Government. I hope she spends it well.

If you’re now having to go past the £5 barrier anyway you might want to try one of the other wines that are now in your price bracket.

They’ve got a Chianti at £5.49 which no longer represents a premium price for you

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If you’re now having to go past the £5 barrier anyway you might want to try one of the other wines that are now in your price bracket.

You might even consider something at 12% as opposed to 13% and save a little money

Nah. I'll stick with this old favourite

99550.jpg

20 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

The VAT on £5.29 is £0.88. The VAT on £3.99 is £0.66. That additional £0.22 is payable to the UK Treasury. 

Is that not a tax increase? Has the Treasury not 'grabbed' an additional £0.22 in tax from the purchaser?

Please explain your reasoning why you consider my statement to be a lie.

It would have been accurate to state that "The Scottish Government have handed a tax windfall to the treasury."  It is possible that we have completely different understanding for the phrase "tax grab" and the word "grab" in particular.

Look on the positive side, given the number of alcoholic Scots (based on UK stereotypes), the Scottish government will assist the UK government in reducing the tax/GDP ratio - Tartan Tories:lol:

On 04/05/2018 at 22:58, D.A.F.C said:

If you want to pay less in tax from drinking you could just drink less?

Nah it's Scotland waahhhey drink drink drink

Why should someone who drinks responsibly be forced to drink less?

Responsible, if we're going by the guidelines is 14 units a week? So at 50p a unit, that's £7 top end. Even that boy that supports Hearts whose name I can remember can afford that without too much issue.

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Why would someone who drinks responsibly be bothered by 50p MUP?

A bottle of frosty jacks has the same alcohol as 9 pints of Stella.

The govt can't legislate based upon the half dozen auld dicks milking a bottle of Tesco vodka for a year.

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The govt can't legislate based upon the half dozen auld dicks milking a bottle of Tesco vodka for a year.

Could have created Beer Tokens, it would have been as effective as this is likely to be.

Is that you insulting GD? [emoji48]

Responsible, if we're going by the guidelines is 14 units a week? So at 50p a unit, that's £7 top end. Even that boy that supports Hearts whose name I can remember can afford that without too much issue.
I believe Paulo is now earning almost £10 an hour these days. He'll be even more minted once he becomes an astrophysicist for Elon Musk.

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
3 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I believe Paulo is now earning almost £10 an hour these days. He'll be even more minted once he becomes an astrophysicist for Elon Musk.

Was it not him who came up with a brilliant scheme to screw the bookies? If so he won't have to work for anyone.