Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63626311

My favourite bit:

According to the PHS, Buckfast sales per-adult increased by 40% in the first year of minimum pricing.

Also a negligible impact on alcohol-related crime. 

Another example of something being deemed a success before it has had a chance to play out. I see this all the time. 

The increase in alcohol related deaths is, according to the medical publication Lancet, across the UK, it jumped from 11.8 per 100,000 people in 2019 to 14.0 per 100,000 in 2020, the suggestion by the Lancet is that this increase, the first in 20 years, was spurred by the Covid Pandemic.

However in my opinion the cost of living crisis is now coming into play, with food prices through the roof and mortgages spiking is it wonder people are finding solace in the bottle.

A visit to any supermarket on a Friday from 2pm onwards shows wine, beer and spirits hustled out the door by all ages, in the not too distant past this scenario was reserved for Christmas and New Year, now it's part of life in a Tory governed country.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Another belter from the Scottish Nannying Party

it’s a tired cliché now but was there ever a time when that  “Scottish Nanny Party” gag was actually  funny? 

it’s not quite as shit and done to death as “Tony bliar” but it’s in that league 

At least Jeremy *unt retains the shock value 

On 30/07/2022 at 10:20, KingRocketman II said:

yep, and those in the camp of "if you can't go without a drink for 2 hours (in line with a ban on alcohol at the football/the train/in park/at events etc) then you have a problem" that ironically illustrate the problematic relationship that Scotland has with alcohol.

That camp largely believe they have no problem with alcohol and to illustrate that they crow they can easily not have a drink for days (or hours) on end - which in turn promotes their unhealthy relationship with alcohol in that it is not something to be enjoyed as part of an occasion but it is something to be segregated from any other activity and consumed in binges. Essentially the 5:2 drinkers. 

Infantino:

"there will be many fan zones where you can buy alcohol in Qatar and fans can simultaneously drink alcohol. I think if for three hours a day you cannot drink a beer, you will survive". 😂

• 1 month later...