Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

17 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Agreed and for some balance in this thread I'd quote from it:

"At a population level MUP appears to be having positive benefits. We’ve seen a sustained decrease in how much we are drinking overall since the policy was implemented. Alongside this there have been encouraging reductions in hospital admissions from alcohol-related liver conditions and an initial 10% fewer alcohol-related deaths in 2019"

"At a population level" is particularly relevant and whilst there is certainly a belligerent cohort who will outwardly acknowledge no credit, there is cause to celebrate the beginning of a realisation that we as a community are more unhealthy than we otherwise should be.

35 minutes ago, sophia said:

Agreed and for some balance in this thread I'd quote from it:

"At a population level MUP appears to be having positive benefits. We’ve seen a sustained decrease in how much we are drinking overall since the policy was implemented. Alongside this there have been encouraging reductions in hospital admissions from alcohol-related liver conditions and an initial 10% fewer alcohol-related deaths in 2019"

"At a population level" is particularly relevant and whilst there is certainly a belligerent cohort who will outwardly acknowledge no credit, there is cause to celebrate the beginning of a realisation that we as a community are more unhealthy than we otherwise should be.

"At a population level" is not particularly relevant to legislation that was introduced on the basis that 

"The FM states that the greatest health benefits accrued from minimum pricing are seen amongst hazardous and harmful drinkers"

Unless somehow replacing food with alcohol has a health benefit then I think you are clutching at straws.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Alongside this there have been encouraging reductions in hospital admissions from alcohol-related liver conditions and an initial 10% fewer alcohol-related deaths in 2019"

Highly likely that this is partly due to the Covid effect that the SNP are always keen to use.  Hospital admissions have been down on virtually all conditions - cancer, mental health etc, so this has to be taken in context

4 minutes ago, Crazy Days said:

Highly likely that this is partly due to the Covid effect that the SNP are always keen to use.  Hospital admissions have been down on virtually all conditions - cancer, mental health etc, so this has to be taken in context

If we close all the hospitals we'll be the healthiest wee country in the world.

My hot take on the decrease in drinking is that the young team are coming into an environment where its less affordable and less desirable to do so. Progressively, generation by generation, the pub culture is dying. Someone in their late 30s and older today might be used to seeing their auld demand all his pals working in industry, pub at lunchtime pub at hone time every day. Then we sort of changed and battered it at the weekends, it's moved on again now.

It's not the done thing, or affordable in general to be spending all day and night in the pub. Any decrease in drinking for me is down to societal and cultural changes. I would add to that a much more visible and prevalent focus on physical fitness these days. I reckon from when I was a kid there must be 20x as many cyclists, runners and gym members. Maybe more.

This should always have been the way it changed. Focus on encouraging that. Not punishing those who choose to drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Campaigners have called for a ban on alcohol sponsorship of concerts, festivals and live sport in a bid to improve Scots’ health.

Alcohol Focus Scotland and a group of international experts are urging the Scottish Government to introduce restrictions on marketing in all areas where there are powers to do so – including outdoor and public spaces, branding of merchandise, and in print publications.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/scottish-government-urged-to-ban-all-alcohol-promotion-following-report-from-alcohol-focus-scotland-charity

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

'Alcohol Focus Scotland' should be forced to change their name to reflect the puritanical wet-wipes they are. 

I heard the lady from them on the Radio this morning. I can't remember word for word, but she said something along the lines of "alcohol advertising gets people to drink"

I hope that piercing insight doesn't make it into the mainstream. I'd be worried a whole industry could sprout out of letting people know about products and encouraging them to buy them.

Easy to go for advertising than the social problems that lead people to being alcoholics, as usual. Everyone loves a cheap, meaningless soundbite.

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I’ve got no real doubts this ban would go ahead

Alcohol will get the same treatment as smoking over the coming years. 

That'll be a problem for the Royal Highland Show. The only reason I go (and I usually get in free) is for the free food and bevvy tastings at the various stalls. Some nice stuff there. If promotions and advertising are banned.... 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Bump

So with alcohol being banned on the trains, what is coming next?

Remember Happy Hour used to be a thing until the Government put an end to it.

Alcohol being banned in clubs next?

Real problem drinking is at at home.

I have never understood why the government have regulated and taxed the licensing trade to death but have allowed the big brand supermarkets to sell firewater for buttons.

Bring back local pubs into the community by reducing on licence taxation. Tax off licenses to the death.

Much better for health.

Edited by git-intae-thum
Typo

Isn't minimum pricing supposed to help with supermarket prices? That got rid of various deals (sadly!).

Pubs are just too expensive and only getting more and more expensive every year.

7 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Real problem drinking is at at home.

I have never understood why the government have regulated and taxed the licensing trade to death but have allowed the big brand supermarkets to sell firewater for buttons.

Bring back local pubs into the community by reducing on licence taxation. Tax off licenses to the death.

Much better for health.

yep, and those in the camp of "if you can't go without a drink for 2 hours (in line with a ban on alcohol at the football/the train/in park/at events etc) then you have a problem" that ironically illustrate the problematic relationship that Scotland has with alcohol.

That camp largely believe they have no problem with alcohol and to illustrate that they crow they can easily not have a drink for days (or hours) on end - which in turn promotes their unhealthy relationship with alcohol in that it is not something to be enjoyed as part of an occasion but it is something to be segregated from any other activity and consumed in binges. Essentially the 5:2 drinkers. 

On 30/07/2022 at 10:20, KingRocketman II said:

yep, and those in the camp of "if you can't go without a drink for 2 hours (in line with a ban on alcohol at the football/the train/in park/at events etc) then you have a problem" that ironically illustrate the problematic relationship that Scotland has with alcohol.

That camp largely believe they have no problem with alcohol and to illustrate that they crow they can easily not have a drink for days (or hours) on end - which in turn promotes their unhealthy relationship with alcohol in that it is not something to be enjoyed as part of an occasion but it is something to be segregated from any other activity and consumed in binges. Essentially the 5:2 drinkers. 

Correct. The attitude towards alcohol by the authorities in Scotland and the uk make the case that alcohol is something to consume with the sole intent of gettIng drunk and that any drunk person is a nuisance to others. Alcohol must therefore be segregated from the rest of society